Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVelo View Post
I would definitely recommend Haddon Township. My girlfriend and I just moved here about a month ago from NE Philly (I've lived in a bunch of different neighborhoods in the city), and we're loving it. We moved here for a lot of the same reasons you're listing. Walkability (I love the weekends that I end up not driving anywhere!), charm, easy access to Philly, and a decent school district. We actually ended up buying a place only a few houses away from Newton Lake Park, so we're pretty much on the border of Collingswood, Oaklyn and Audobon. In other words, we can walk or bike to just about anything any of those towns have to offer and we love having the park practically in our back yard! The only thing we're not huge fans of is our proximity to the Whitehorse pike, but that's completely for reasons of aesthetic. It's just not a charming as Haddon Ave in Collingswood, or even the parts of the pike in Audobon or Haddon Heights. But what it lacks in charm, it makes up for in convenience, plus, did I mention we're right next to the park?
Those areas are only getting better and more desirable. On the other side of Haddon Twp, I grew up right off Cooper River not too far from Strawbridge school down Culbert Rd. That's turned into a desirable neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM

283 posts, read 607,200 times
I live on the east end of Collingswood, right on the Haddon Township border two blocks from the park. I love the location - I can walk to the park, train, downtown Collingswood, etc. The taxes between the two towns are comparable. The housing prices in Collingswood are a bit less. If there is a better deal in Collingswood, you may be able to save up for private high school over the long haul. Also, I have friends from Collingswood High who are both successful professionals. Both towns have very good elementary programs (I believe that the Tatem school in Collingswood is among the better in town), etc.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:03 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,279 times
We moved to Collingswood in 2006 and I often describe it as a "village" to Philly. It has the city vibe with a relaxed feel yet the city is a 10 minute train ride. The elementary schools are as good as any and the high school is "not that bad at all"; you can succeed there better than any charter school in Philly with more extra curricular choices than Philly can ever offer. I would like the town to move past the dry laws but a change at the top is desperately needed.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:47 PM

19 posts, read 33,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
We moved to Collingswood in 2006 and I often describe it as a "village" to Philly. It has the city vibe with a relaxed feel yet the city is a 10 minute train ride. The elementary schools are as good as any and the high school is "not that bad at all"; you can succeed there better than any charter school in Philly with more extra curricular choices than Philly can ever offer. I would like the town to move past the dry laws but a change at the top is desperately needed.
Hey GraysFerryB4! Thanks for the input. After doing some looking around online at homes and walking around the area a bunch, we're pretty solidly committed to finding a place in Collingswood. Now we just have to figure out what real estate people to use...

Old 08-15-2012, 06:04 AM

You are probably safest with Main Street Realty. They are the biggest in town. If you go with them, I suggest either Cynthia Stanzilis or Nancy Macauly...both excellent! Good luck.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
You are probably safest with Main Street Realty. They are the biggest in town. If you go with them, I suggest either Cynthia Stanzilis or Nancy Macauly...both excellent! Good luck.
Cool, that's the third or fourth time I've heard Nancy Macauly's name either recommended or positively reviewed online somewhere. We'll definitely keep Main Street and those people in particular in mind when we're ready to start looking in earnest!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 AM

283 posts, read 607,200 times
I used Main Street and my realtor was great!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
I personally recommend these guys:

South Jersey Real Estate, South Jersey Homes For Sale, South Jersey Realtor

It's a privately owned real estate brokerage located on Haddon Ave. in Collingswood (near the post office). Both of the owners have years of experience at regular agencies. The owner and broker of record, Ed Barski has been my realtor for years and we went to high school together. He grew up in the Collingswood area and has been a rather succesful small business owner and realtor/investor. He's a very down to Earth guy and a straight shooter who doesn't play games and will give you the truth...even when it isn't what you want to hear. He's also always willing to go the extra mile; whether it's meeting you to sign documents at 10pm on a Sunday or meeting you at 7am on Monday for a showing or answering your emails and phone calls promptly. If that wasn't enough, the guy could write the book on negotiating and real estate marketing.

Yes, this was an unabashed plug for Barski, but he really is that good.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll keep this all in the mind.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM

You will seriously love Collingswood! Check out Third Thursday at Treno to meet some GLBT folks...great crowd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia