Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 15,378 times

Advertisements

Hello... I'm temporarily relocating from Charlotte, NC for a job in Moorestown, NJ in a week. I'm looking to live somewhere with a good arts district, live music scene, night life and shopping. Essentially, I need city living with a good downtown area or public transport to one. I've looked into the area and it seems like my options are limited. Since I'll be working in Moorestown, I'll have to have a car but I don't want to use it much more than I have to. I don't mind public transport and I'm not a home-body so the more there is to do around me, the better.

I would not mind living in Philly, but I'm worried that I'll have to pay an ungodly amount of taxes since I'll have a permanent residence in NC, be living in Philly, and working in NJ. Being in Jersey with easy access to the PATCO would probably be preferable.

Any advice is MUCH appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 03:17 PM

584 posts, read 1,425,334 times
You could look into Collingswood or Westmont areas. Collingswood has a small downtown-y area as does Haddonfield (shops and restaurants. Though the night life isn't exactly all that exciting). If you want more of the bar scene and access to arts, you can hop on the Patco (high speed line) and be downtown in Philly within about 15ish minutes.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
I moved from South Jersey to Kings Mountain. Are you in Charlotte or one of the surrounding communities?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:46 AM

25 posts, read 72,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyTbear View Post
Hello... I'm temporarily relocating from Charlotte, NC for a job in Moorestown, NJ in a week. I'm looking to live somewhere with a good arts district, live music scene, night life and shopping. Essentially, I need city living with a good downtown area or public transport to one.
Any advice is MUCH appreciated!!!
In my opinion if you want an arts district and live music scene you will have to go into Philadelphia. Sounds to me like you might be happiest living in the city of Philadelphia and commuting to Moorestown.

The area around Moorestown is a very nice place to live but Moorestown, Mt Laurel, Marlton, are really family oriented suburbs with little nightlife outside of a couple of Sports bar/Friday's type bars.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBosch View Post
In my opinion if you want an arts district and live music scene you will have to go into Philadelphia. Sounds to me like you might be happiest living in the city of Philadelphia and commuting to Moorestown.

The area around Moorestown is a very nice place to live but Moorestown, Mt Laurel, Marlton, are really family oriented suburbs with little nightlife outside of a couple of Sports bar/Friday's type bars.
I currently live in the Charlotte area. Based on personal knowledge of both areas, she might be just fine with going around between Cherry Hill & Philly. That's why I asked her where in the Charlotte metro she is.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 15,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I moved from South Jersey to Kings Mountain. Are you in Charlotte or one of the surrounding communities?
Right now I live in South Charlotte, in Ballantyne Village. I've lived all over Charlotte in the past 7 years and can tell you all about it if you're thinking of moving closer to the city.

Edit: Reading your last message, I see where you're getting at. My favorite part of Charlotte is Noda (North Davidson Rd). It's not very big, but it's where the eclectic bars and music are. Since I'm relocating by myself, I'd like to be as close as possible to an area like this where I can step out for entertainment. Right now I have a 45 min commute, both ways, so anything is an improvement. I hate traffic, but I'm willing to deal with it for a good location.

And added information...I like Ballantyne, but it's a little ritzy for my taste. Right now I can walk to the grocery store, a couple of restaurants and bars, a movie theatre, there's a running trail 2 blocks away. I loooooove the location, but the crowd makes it a little dull.

Last edited by KimmyTbear; 06-28-2010 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyTbear View Post
Right now I live in South Charlotte, in Ballantyne Village. I've lived all over Charlotte in the past 7 years and can tell you all about it if you're thinking of moving closer to the city.

Edit: Reading your last message, I see where you're getting at. My favorite part of Charlotte is Noda (North Davidson Rd). It's not very big, but it's where the eclectic bars and music are. Since I'm relocating by myself, I'd like to be as close as possible to an area like this where I can step out for entertainment. Right now I have a 45 min commute, both ways, so anything is an improvement. I hate traffic, but I'm willing to deal with it for a good location.

And added information...I like Ballantyne, but it's a little ritzy for my taste. Right now I can walk to the grocery store, a couple of restaurants and bars, a movie theatre, there's a running trail 2 blocks away. I loooooove the location, but the crowd makes it a little dull.
Actually, I moved to Kings Mountain on purpose. It reminds me of Cherry Hill back in the '60s.

I would suggest that you look at Waterford in Cherry Hill. not glitsy or glam in the least, but the setting is nice. Drive up Kings Highway to Moorestown & Mount Laural. Drive or walk south & you're in Haddonfield. Nice shops & restaurants (If you like Asian, go to Oriental Pearl) there. The PATCO High Speedline will take you to Philly. You might also want to look for a rental in Haddonfield. They are few & far between, but, again, it gets you to Philly on the train, quickly.

Keep in mind that Philly & South Jersey are not NY & North Jersey. Don't expect that this will e an outpost of NYC & you won't be disappointed.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:43 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I would look in Collingswood or Haddonfield. Both are an easy commute to the Moorestown area and both would give you a lot of daily options and all of Philadelphia would be a quick ride on the train away. You would also have easy access to everything in Cherry Hill.

Cherry Hill probably has more options for rentals and would be a split the difference kind of place. While there are a ton of things to do in Cherry Hill it lacks the cohesive downtown that Collingswood or Haddonfield have. Cherry Hill is essentially one giant development with multiple subsections with strip and mall style retail and restraunts spread along the major corridors. There is nothing wrong with it at all and living near Cherry Hill is an asset, but if you want to come home and go eat or have a cup of coffee at a sidewalk cafe, stroll along the avenue and look at art galleries, that's not Cherry Hill.

If you lived in the forementioned Collingswood or Haddonfield, you would really only need your car for commuting and shopping trips. Everything else including the train to the city would be an easy walk. Check out rentals in Haddonfield as there are a few very nicely done ones that are on the main street King's Highway and right near the PATCO train stop to the city that are very hip places and aren't part of a giant rental complex.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I would look in Collingswood or Haddonfield. Both are an easy commute to the Moorestown area and both would give you a lot of daily options and all of Philadelphia would be a quick ride on the train away. You would also have easy access to everything in Cherry Hill.

Cherry Hill probably has more options for rentals and would be a split the difference kind of place. While there are a ton of things to do in Cherry Hill it lacks the cohesive downtown that Collingswood or Haddonfield have. Cherry Hill is essentially one giant development with multiple subsections with strip and mall style retail and restraunts spread along the major corridors. There is nothing wrong with it at all and living near Cherry Hill is an asset, but if you want to come home and go eat or have a cup of coffee at a sidewalk cafe, stroll along the avenue and look at art galleries, that's not Cherry Hill.

If you lived in the forementioned Collingswood or Haddonfield, you would really only need your car for commuting and shopping trips. Everything else including the train to the city would be an easy walk. Check out rentals in Haddonfield as there are a few very nicely done ones that are on the main street King's Highway and right near the PATCO train stop to the city that are very hip places and aren't part of a giant rental complex.
I agree on Cherry Hill although Waterford is just about a perfect location for her. It's the old garden apartments on Park Blvd between Caldwell & Kings Highway. They're across from Cooper River Park, & if she crosses the Kings Highway bridge, that's right there, she's in Haddonfield. Being older apartments, they are much bigger than modern ones.

Also, NC natives & people who have been here, in & near Charlotte, a long time think that traffic here is bad, but unless there's an accident (local terminology is wreck), it's really not bad at all, so Haddonfield or Collingswood or Waterford Apts. would let her go up Kings Highway & if need be, she could go down Lenola Road to 38 & skip the mess on 70 & the mess on 295.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Southbound, you are right that it is a nice area, however, those apartments are not nearly as nice as they used to be (assuming you are referring to the ones across from the park along the road that winds out to Brace Rd. near the Coastline). They have gone down a lot over the years and most are inhabited by low income families. They aren't exactly what I would recommend to a young professional woman from the south who is looking for a nice place. Don't take that to mean that they are dangerous, they just aren't very "nice". There are condo's on the other side of King's Highway in that same area that many people rent out and they are generally much nicer than the apartments, it's just hard finding one to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia