Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times

Advertisements

Very true I started looking at some numbers based on our budget and the money we would save is well worth the bridge toll. We are already driving the same distance or more to get to the stores we want in NJ, so the only difference is really the bridge toll and that is more than made up for in the sales tax savings. With the new house we have been spending quite a bit at the home improvement stores and Target. Figure as long as we are spending more than ~$50 on taxable goods (which is easy to do) it pays for the bridge toll. With the kids birthdays and Christmas coming up, it will actually save us quite a bit.

I wish there was a BJ's in that area (the only one in Delaware is right over the DMB), but maybe we can find another discount club near there. We do the bulk of our shopping at BJ's and since I work right across the street, I don't know if we would save enough to justify the time/toll/gas to go to the one over the DMB twice a month, but you don't realize how quickly tax adds up until you start thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Very true I started looking at some numbers based on our budget and the money we would save is well worth the bridge toll. We are already driving the same distance or more to get to the stores we want in NJ, so the only difference is really the bridge toll and that is more than made up for in the sales tax savings. With the new house we have been spending quite a bit at the home improvement stores and Target. Figure as long as we are spending more than ~$50 on taxable goods (which is easy to do) it pays for the bridge toll. With the kids birthdays and Christmas coming up, it will actually save us quite a bit.

I wish there was a BJ's in that area (the only one in Delaware is right over the DMB), but maybe we can find another discount club near there. We do the bulk of our shopping at BJ's and since I work right across the street, I don't know if we would save enough to justify the time/toll/gas to go to the one over the DMB twice a month, but you don't realize how quickly tax adds up until you start thinking about it.
Well, start out once a month & play it by ear. Every 6 weeks might work better for you.

Keep in mind that in this area you will also pass supermarkets & drugstores. Happy Harry = Walgreens. I would just make a mental check list of what taxable items I needed before I went down.

Now, the Dollar Tree is not visible from Concord Pike. but there is a turnaround cut through to go back north on Concord Pike, to get back to Naamans Road & you can see the sign & there is a driveway there. Like I said, it will take you a couple of trips. DM me for specifics if you want.

Being further south, you might find another circuit that you could take sometimes that would mean crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge, but I was happy enough with this area.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 13,870 times
Hey all...
Some good suggestions here.

Some things:

1. I know the Maple Shade schools are not terrific, so I have steered clear of there. Plus, for what I could afford, I'd be looking at a much older house. I already have an older house (think knob-and-tube wiring) and don't want to go that route again.

2. Never spent much time in Cinnaminson, but that's worth a look.

3. I actually rented in Collingswood YEARS ago and loved it, but what I saw (at least cursory glance) was all attached or too expensive or very old. But I love the downtown. I also spent time when I rented there around Oaklyn (not super impressed) and Audubon...some nice, some real old. But might consider Audubon.

4. Cherry Hill - I saw the areas that I could afford (that aren't condos) and wasn't impressed. Most of it was close to Pennsauken and looked older. Some of it wasn't bad but when I looked at the tax bill and remembered I'd be in the West schools...eh. Awful small, some of those houses are.

I'm worried about traffic in Mullica Hill, but the town looks so darned cute! I saw a scant few properties that I could afford. Admittedly, some were townhouses but at least they had yards and garages. Might be able to deal...

Took a look at Pitman, but everything I saw came up and it was old, old old. Not loving it. I have bad memories of a run-down apartment complex in Pitman that my college roommates and I rented and I think it soured me. Then again, this was like 1992.

Any other thoughts are appreciated I actually know a fair amount about Burlington/Camden Counties but am not seeing inventory that is impressing me (so far at least). Saw a house on the East Side of Cherry Hill in Old Orchard that needed a ton of work. Probably too much for me (work wise) but the price was attractive...$188K for a house that sold just a few years back for almost 300K. May never get back to that level, but would get close I'm sure as time went on. Equity!! Equity!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia