Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 03:36 PM

8 posts, read 14,219 times

Advertisements

the father call the daughter,who is living in the house down in burlington county nj.landlord write to the father":

i know the daughter whose living in my rental unit
is not keeping the townhouse clean there"because i went in to see it and it is a complete mess YET how would he know this
as she clearly refuting this even if she is planning to move clothing is out on couch dining area six moving boxes business stuff et.

QUESTION for you astute posters here is 1 QUESTION:

can he just GO INTO the unit while the tenant is not home and did not even bother to call the tenant?
he has the tenant number(she OWN two business legal related)as well as her father has homes where he reside in nice boca raton fla as south carolina,as Maine. Landlord again"has all their phone numbers"yet WRITE to dad saying he SEEN the inside and that she is keeping townhouse"a mess"so she better clean up???

my friend co-worker i work with she is shook.very very scared.

clearly this prove the landlord was in the house at some time while she was at work OR a camera in unit?can she sue the landlord

as well as file a criminal complaint with the police.clearly something is wrong here and i told her i am sure she can sue IF there is proof he was in the home
as well as put on police report he has harrass her and now this.thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 PM

81 posts, read 340,875 times
You need to read the lease. In my lease it clearly states that they can enter my apartment at any time even without any prior notice.

I don't think it's any reason to sue. Just find a new place to live if you or your daughter does not like the conditions of the lease. But it's going to be hard to find a new place to rent that does not have conditions like that!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:00 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,554 times
Yeah I would move her out if I could. Otherwise, set up some internet cameras they are cheap enough now, and watch what the landlord does. If he violates the lease, sue his a$$

Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,198 times
I'm not sure it would be possible (and even if it were possible -I don't know that it would be worth the time and hassle) to sue, if the landlord violated the lease. Most leases have clauses that the landlord can enter the home with notification, unless there is some sort of emergency requiring entry (at least that's how my leases have always read). Assuming the landlord has violated the terms of the lease, or if the renter feels unsafe, it could be grounds for moving out and ending the lease early + still recouping security deposits. My husband had a few inexperienced landlords that violated terms of leases (not returning security deposits, etc). He pursued legal counsel and it turned out to not be worth the time, money, or headache.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
The right of the landlord to enter the property with or without notice is detailed in the lease. Many landlords (especially private owners who rent out houses) reserve the right to enter the premises at anytime. Even if the lease requires notice it usually has clauses that give the landlord the right to enter without notice in case of an emergency or to conduct an inspection.

You stated that she is already moving out. Chances are it is not worth the hassle and headaches to pursue legal action. Did she give notice that she was moving out? If so, my guess is the landlord entered the property to inspect the condition. He is most likely requesting the unit be cleaned up so that it can be shown to new prospective tenants.

No offense, but while no one wants the landlord poking around, it is generally their right and they are generally only doing so to protect their interests.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Why on earth would a LL write to someone's father and tell them the place is messy?

Something seems very odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia