Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,109,972 times

Advertisements

Places like Mullica Hill, Mickleton, and Woolwich Township were exploding with new construction during the recent housing bubble, but I imagine it's mostly died off by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Places like Mullica Hill, Mickleton, and Woolwich Township were exploding with new construction during the recent housing bubble, but I imagine it's mostly died off by now.
It's hard to say. When PATCO is expanded, there will be stops in Pitman & Glassboro. There's only so much space to build in Pitman. . .

Old 07-16-2010, 07:32 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's hard to say. When PATCO is expanded, there will be stops in Pitman & Glassboro. There's only so much space to build in Pitman. . .
"when"? hahaha. What year do you think those stations open? 2025? 2030? Seroiusly those dates may be long shots.

In my section of Haddonfield there have been several small ranches expanded with 2nd floors and bathrooms, etc... I have not had to do anything like that personally but it seems straightforward. Just be ready to be hit with a higher assessment and hence pay more in taxes. So factor that in when looking for a house that you may expand.

Also Cherry Hill is nice but not walkable to a PATCO station.
Also Cherry Hill seems surrounded by highways more so than the other towns. Those reasons are why I would lean towards one of the Haddon's area or Collingswood. Since you have kids and if you plan to stay in the area for a long time then I would aim for Haddonfield. Has your PATCO and best schools in the area. Win win. Only negative is cost and you can still get into Haddonfield for $300k for a decent place. Maybe $350. All depends on what you level of house you can deal with.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:33 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsanders View Post
Thanks all. I think I get it now.

I'm actually okay with the property tax rate, given all the things you get in return. Since we have two little ones, I'm all for the trade off to be in good schools.

I definitely don't want to live in an area where I'll be confused on whether or not I am in my own driveway or my neighbors since all the houses look alike. Also, we aren't the type of people that will be chasing for more space, or a bigger home every time our household income goes up.

BUT, I think a 4BR, 2BA house, really 2.5 baths would be ideal. I keep seeing all these houses with 3BRs and only 1.5 baths. What do you do when you have guests? Or perhaps I just need to wrap my mind around needing to expand the budget a bit.

I wonder, too, about the feasibility of adding a bathroom on to the home in Camden County. Anyone have any experience with renovation/construction permits that include plumbing additions? Probably a random question.
The 3br 1.5ba is pretty common especially in Collingswood and Haddon Twp. It's just the era the houses were built in.

As far as construction permits go that's on a town by town basis. Some towns like Haddonfield have very strict codes to preserve the historical flavor of the town. Others like Collingswood and Haddon Twp. are much easier to get permits. Overall, I don't think it is any harder to get permits in those towns than anywhere else.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
"when"? hahaha. What year do you think those stations open? 2025? 2030? Seroiusly those dates may be long shots.
Not saying the estimates are right, but the project is approved and funded and is mainly using a lot of existing infrastructure. The current proposed start of operations date is 2016 with all stations operational in 2017. Not that I would buy a house in those areas if I needed PATCO daily TODAY. However, it would make those communities more attractive for the person who just occasionally needs to get to the city.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Living in that area, I can tell you there are still a few developments being built and sold. The big project down there right now is the new retail/entertainment complex along 322 near Kingsway High School. They are planning several major stores, a movie theater and Promenade-esque retail and dining. Should be a big boon to the area. I just hope we don't go down the Washington Twp. path.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The 3br 1.5ba is pretty common especially in Collingswood and Haddon Twp. It's just the era the houses were built in.
The area (perhaps 4-6 blocks) that I'm in, in Haddon Twp seems to be primarily 4 bed 2 (or 2.5) bath homes. I checked the listings in my immediate area and they range from just below 300 up to 680K.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 AM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

In my section of Haddonfield there have been several small ranches expanded with 2nd floors and bathrooms, etc... I have not had to do anything like that personally but it seems straightforward. Just be ready to be hit with a higher assessment and hence pay more in taxes. So factor that in when looking for a house that you may expand.

Also Cherry Hill is nice but not walkable to a PATCO station.
Also Cherry Hill seems surrounded by highways more so than the other towns. Those reasons are why I would lean towards one of the Haddon's area or Collingswood. Since you have kids and if you plan to stay in the area for a long time then I would aim for Haddonfield. Has your PATCO and best schools in the area. Win win. Only negative is cost and you can still get into Haddonfield for $300k for a decent place. Maybe $350. All depends on what you level of house you can deal with.
I started riding PATCO in 1969, so I'm well aware of the rumors of expansion to Burlington County & Gloucester County. However, my sister lives in Pitman & says that PATCO is coming. Construction, commercial & residential, started almost immediately when the Gloucester County spur was announced. Also, the state is pouring money into Glassboro like there's no tomorrow, in spite of the bad economy.

I owned a house in Cherry Hill, for 20 years, near enough to Hadddonfield that I've walked to the PATCO station in Haddonfield more than once. The Woodcrest Station is also accessible by walking, for some people.

My family moved to Cherry Hill in 1964. Farms still predominated then. That explains the sprawled out layout of the town. It was built up one farm at a time.

The neighborhoods in Cherry Hill are usually bordered by a shopping center or two. It's not a problem for people with kids. Whatever gives you that idea is beyond me.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:28 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I started riding PATCO in 1969, so I'm well aware of the rumors of expansion to Burlington County & Gloucester County. However, my sister lives in Pitman & says that PATCO is coming. Construction, commercial & residential, started almost immediately when the Gloucester County spur was announced. Also, the state is pouring money into Glassboro like there's no tomorrow, in spite of the bad economy.

I owned a house in Cherry Hill, for 20 years, near enough to Hadddonfield that I've walked to the PATCO station in Haddonfield more than once. The Woodcrest Station is also accessible by walking, for some people.

My family moved to Cherry Hill in 1964. Farms still predominated then. That explains the sprawled out layout of the town. It was built up one farm at a time.

The neighborhoods in Cherry Hill are usually bordered by a shopping center or two. It's not a problem for people with kids. Whatever gives you that idea is beyond me.
I made light of the 2017 date for PATCO because it seems everytime this project starts it hits a wall. Whether is due to funding or change of plans etc... Not sure of the current Federal funding aspect but last thing I heard was it was not able to get federal funding and may cause the thing to be delayed even more. Maybe they resolved all that.

I have nothing against Cherry Hill at all. Cherry Hill though is huge. So 90%+ of CH is not walking distance to a PATCO station. I would argue to say no section of CH is an easy walk to Haddonfield station and only a SMALL section of CH is near the Woodcrest station. Even those walks seem to be a hike down that industrial road. Now if the OP was ok with a 1-5 minute drive and park at a station then the "walk" aspect may not be a big deal at all.

The kids thing was simply a comment that Haddonfield is known for its schools. It ranks higher than CH so since he HAD kids that may factor into where he lives. (School districts) And I am well aware that CH has good schools as well.

My gripe about CH and the highways was not a safety issue but a general preference. I can ride my bike now from Main St in Collingswood (Haddon) to main st in Haddonfield (Kings Highway) and samething for westmont. All without really touching a MAJOR road like Rt 70, Rt 38, etc... I can ride all the way to Haddon Heights as well and only have to deal with small roads and no highways. I like that. CH has so many more highways or busy roads that it is MUCH tougher to do that over there. (In most parts of CH anyway) CH also tends to have more traffic in general. I just prefer the smaller town feel that the Haddon's offer.
That's all.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM

21 posts, read 47,304 times
I think your best bet would be to find a home in Haddon Township. Really good schools, along the PATCO,Picturesque neighborhoods, all that great stuff. Though 4br/2ba aren't the most common that comes on the market it isn't unlikely either.

My husband and I just brought a home at the end of last year in Haddonfield that needed some work. We updated just about everything and getting the permits were pretty easy. We got all permits in a weeks time after applying. The inspector will tell you all that needs to be done to pass, at least the one in Haddonfield did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia