Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't think NW Jersey is stealing any aid, lol. I had a good friend from college that lived in White Meadow Lake in Rockaway and his family moved to Sussex County about 4 years ago to some town near the Delaware Water Gap. I think most people would be shocked to see exactly how rural certain section of North Jersey can be. I'm pretty sure that Camden, Burlington and Gloucester Counties all see more in the way of state money than Sussex does.

I will try to find the article. It was in the Inquirer several years ago, so it will take some digging if it's even available. The only other anecdotal evidence out there is the normal political rhetoric. The "Norcross Machine" was very happy to point out the inequities throughout the early 2000's and worked very hard to get state dollars moving to South Jersey projects (albeit ones they had connections to, lol).

As for the split I believe it is about 75/25 in terms of population and GDP. The message often heard is that we put in 25% but get back less than that. We're apparently the "Rodney Dangerfield's" of the state.
I agree that NW NJ is not part of the financial black hole. Most state money to South Jersey get poured into the black hole that is known as Camden. North Jersey has several black holes, but not in the NW corner.

The bad disparity is infrastructure expenditures. Like I said, the officials in Trenton acknowledged it when they took the secession question off the ballots, so that's a place to look. Also, the Inquirer ran something prior to the secession question going on the ballot. This is a very old bone of contention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 11:33 AM

12 posts, read 48,300 times
People from the North and South I've found don't really have a clue about one another. If you live in the South, you think "going way up to North Jersey" is going to Trenton, and if you tell a person from the North that you live in South Jersey they think you mean the Shore. It's like they can't see that whole part of the map. I personally grew up in Bloomfield (North) and have lived in Madison (North), Cedar Grove (North), Garfield (North), Monmouth Junction (Central), Somerset (Central), Sparta (Northwest), Hardyston (Northwest), Lyndhurst (North), Burlington Twp (South) and now for the past six years have been in Winslow Twp (South). We initially crossed the "Mason Dixon Line" because home prices here are far, far cheaper. I love it down here and would never go back. But I've only recently gotten used to saying the word "hoagie" instead of "sub". For years if I heard anyone say "We're going to order a tray of hoagies" it made me chuckle. Say "hoagie" up North and you might get beaten up.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
I was at a car how over the weekend in Toms River and was chatting with a North jersey couple and told them I was from south jersey. They were like "oh, like in Oldbridge"? lol. I said that was central jersey.. He had no clue about anything below central jersey even existed. Ignorance..

Old 08-24-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I was at a car how over the weekend in Toms River and was chatting with a North jersey couple and told them I was from south jersey. They were like "oh, like in Oldbridge"? lol. I said that was central jersey.. He had no clue about anything below central jersey even existed. Ignorance..
ROFLMAO! You got off easy, frank! Over the years I was contacted about jobs in North Jersey (They contacted me.) a few times. A couple of them called me a farmer & when I told them that I was not a farmer, they told me of course I was a farmer because everybody "down there" is a farmer.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:34 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
ROFLMAO! You got off easy, frank! Over the years I was contacted about jobs in North Jersey (They contacted me.) a few times. A couple of them called me a farmer & when I told them that I was not a farmer, they told me of course I was a farmer because everybody "down there" is a farmer.
Then there is the other extreme, I've mentioned a time or two previously someone I used to work with commuted from Franklinville in Salem County, to Lakehurst. The following map was his perception of New Jersey, and I am not joking:

Old 08-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
well we *are* the garden state! lol

Old 08-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Then there is the other extreme, I've mentioned a time or two previously someone I used to work with commuted from Franklinville in Salem County, to Lakehurst. The following map was his perception of New Jersey, and I am not joking:
whoa.... Cape May is north jersey?? lol

Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
well we *are* the garden state! lol
and they wondered why we wanted to seceed. . .

Old 08-25-2010, 02:00 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,554 times
People don't know this but, the southern tip of Cape May is actually right on line with Washington D.C. Its farther south than Baltimore. And if you really take it out west its on line with Reno and about 70 miles north of San Fransisco.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 AM

516 posts, read 1,616,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

Great post! Very funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia