Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 07:41 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
People don't know this but, the southern tip of Cape May is actually right on line with Washington D.C. Its farther south than Baltimore. And if you really take it out west its on line with Reno and about 70 miles north of San Fransisco.
Actually right on line with Chevy Chase MD, which is just north of D.C. I got into an argument with another geographer (and lost) about that. I think Reno is even a little further south, by about 20 miles, than D.C.

This kind of stuff is my hobby! Another little known fact is that the southern tip of Illinois is closer to the center of Mississippi (Jackson) than Chicago. Or that the southern tip of Canada is actually further south than is the border of California and Oregon.

If you were to draw a line with Sicklerville westward, that roughly approximates the east-west stretch of the Mason-Dixon line that separates Pennsylvania from Maryland. I always used to tease my Salem County friend that he was really a confederate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:41 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Then there is the other extreme, I've mentioned a time or two previously someone I used to work with commuted from Franklinville in Salem County, to Lakehurst. The following map was his perception of New Jersey, and I am not joking:
That's pretty funny. At least I live in "New Jersey" on that map, lol.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
That's pretty funny. At least I live in "New Jersey" on that map, lol.
I was actually going to tag Cape May with the "$cumbag New Yorker" label, per his argument, because he was outspoken in the fact that the entire Jersey Shore belonged to "New York City" and I argued back that many Philadelphians also used much of the shore south of Island Heights. He wasn't buying it, so we compromised.

By the way, in real life, he's a great guy. He just has a passionate distaste for "New Yorkers", and was fearful that even places in Camden County were beginning to cede influence to "New York", which to him, meant Northern New Jersey.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Actually right on line with Chevy Chase MD, which is just north of D.C. I got into an argument with another geographer (and lost) about that. I think Reno is even a little further south, by about 20 miles, than D.C.

This kind of stuff is my hobby! Another little known fact is that the southern tip of Illinois is closer to the center of Mississippi (Jackson) than Chicago. Or that the southern tip of Canada is actually further south than is the border of California and Oregon.

If you were to draw a line with Sicklerville westward, that roughly approximates the east-west stretch of the Mason-Dixon line that separates Pennsylvania from Maryland. I always used to tease my Salem County friend that he was really a confederate.
Yeah, I've horrified many people over the years by pointing out that if you extend the Mason-Dixon line east, most of South Jersey is below it.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
hes plain incorrect. The jersey shore, OC, WW Cape may are mostly Philadelphians(and the suburbs) and very new new yorkers. The New yorks inhabit seaside and north mostly

Quote:
I was actually going to tag Cape May with the "$cumbag New Yorker" label, per his argument, because he was outspoken in the fact that the entire Jersey Shore belonged to "New York City" and I argued back that many Philadelphians also used much of the shore south of Island Heights. He wasn't buying it, so we compromised.

By the way, in real life, he's a great guy. He just has a passionate distaste for "New Yorkers", and was fearful that even places in Camden County were beginning to cede influence to "New York", which to him, meant Northern New Jersey.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:21 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yeah, I've horrified many people over the years by pointing out that if you extend the Mason-Dixon line east, most of South Jersey is below it.
Maybe that's where our apparent obsession with secession comes from...

Old 08-27-2010, 12:31 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I'm not from Jersey, but if I had to live there, I would pick South Jersey hands down, not just because it closer to the better sports city, its just not as ghetto (with the exception of Camden), grimy, rude, crowded, etc etc, as North Jersey. The better beaches are in South Jersey also.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:33 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
hes plain incorrect. The jersey shore, OC, WW Cape may are mostly Philadelphians(and the suburbs) and very new new yorkers. The New yorks inhabit seaside and north mostly
And it should be a telling tale that the South Jersey beaches are mostly nice, clean, scenic beaches, and the North Jersey beaches include places like Asbury Park (ghetto on the ocean), and Seaside Heights (fist pump!).

Although as much as I like some Jersey beaches, I still bypass them in favor of Maryland every summer. Which is funny, because a lot of Jersey people bypass their own beaches....its amazing how many Jersey tags I saw in OC MD this past week!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:10 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
You go to Atlantic City and further on down it's Philly territory. I've been to Ocean City boardwalk they have magazines and flyers up all over the place, it's Philadelphia oriented around there. Didn't Nazz (Todd Rundgren's old band) have a song called Wildwood Blues? They were based in Philly I know.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:06 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
And it should be a telling tale that the South Jersey beaches are mostly nice, clean, scenic beaches, and the North Jersey beaches include places like Asbury Park (ghetto on the ocean), and Seaside Heights (fist pump!).

Although as much as I like some Jersey beaches, I still bypass them in favor of Maryland every summer. Which is funny, because a lot of Jersey people bypass their own beaches....its amazing how many Jersey tags I saw in OC MD this past week!
I have to say, New Jersians do love their beaches. I vacationed on LBI for years, decades. This summer I vacationed with friends in Sea Isle and loved it! The beaches were clean, lovely and amenities were within walking distance.

Vacation wasn't at the beach last year, but we spent a couple of days last September in Strathmere and I loved it there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia