Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:54 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,731,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
LOL that's like the Family Guy episode when Brian is in class and is sitting next to a girl and has a question about something so he just turns to her and she freaks out and pulls out the pepper spray and sprays him, screaming bloody murder as though he "harassed" her.
Yeah, it was pretty good. She left her cart, too.

The butcher was one of those Pathmark employees who've been there for a million years.

The icing on the cake was that the people who she ran past all stared at her, then started talking about it, laughing & pointing in the direction that she had gone, to the strangers next to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 04:36 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,968,447 times
LOL @ these NNJ/SNJ threads........................ It's always an exercise in South Jersey venting their "Hey, what about us?" feelings.
South Jersey always seems to have a problem with North Jersey. On the other hand, North Jersey simply does not care one way or the other.
Quite telling.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:39 PM

877 posts, read 2,842,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
To me, North Jersey, for the most part has a New England Feel to me.
New England? Where the hell in North Jersey are you?

Pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,900,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
LOL @ these NNJ/SNJ threads........................ It's always an exercise in South Jersey venting their "Hey, what about us?" feelings.
South Jersey always seems to have a problem with North Jersey. On the other hand, North Jersey simply does not care one way or the other.
Quite telling.

not really. Im from SJ and I couldn't give a rats butt about North jersey

Old 07-25-2010, 09:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,968,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
not really. Im from SJ and I couldn't give a rats butt about North jersey
Great............... You should share that sentiment with your neighbors. Much obliged.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:19 PM

19 posts, read 22,256 times
Quote:
To me, North Jersey, for the most part has a New England Feel to me. South Jersey feels a lot more like the Southeastern states. Central Jersey is somewhere in between.

I'm a Northerner myself, and while it is crowded, I greatly prefer it to South Jersey.
What? That might be one of the dumbest things I've read.
North Jersey is like New England????? How?
South Jersey is like the SE states???
Uh...South Jersey is metro Philly which is a NORTHEAST city.

You sound like you have never been to New England or the south.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 PM

516 posts, read 1,618,204 times
I've lived in both North Jersey (Ridgewood) and South Jersey (Cherry Hill). I far prefer South Jersey because it is much less congested than North Jersey. I agree in general that people are more civil in South Jersey; however, Eagles fans are far more obnoxious than Giants fans.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:08 PM

877 posts, read 2,842,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
I've lived in both North Jersey (Ridgewood) and South Jersey (Cherry Hill). I far prefer South Jersey because it is much less congested than North Jersey. I agree in general that people are more civil in South Jersey; however, Eagles fans are far more obnoxious than Giants fans.
Civil is right. Much more down to earth and laid back compared to the preppiness of North Jersey.

I don't know Ridgewood particularly, but I am not really a fan of Bergen County. It's very cramped and congested, and "preppy", and much of the developing looks kinda gaudy and dull.

The Philly burbs in South Jersey is my favorite part of NJ. Second choice would be where I live now, which is very convenient in terms of location with instant access to all the major highways and I love New Brunswick, but am here because I work here. If I could get a job in the Philly region I'd move down there in a second. That said, I don't think Cherry Hill would be on my list of places to live. I'd look in some of the neighboring towns like Evesham, Maple Shade, Cinnaminson or Delran among others. My mother grew up in CH in the 1970s and my grandparents still live there, exactly 40 years now. CH is a nice town and has some beautiful neighborhoods, but seems to be a bit too expensive and overpriced IMO, and we know what other element comes with that.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,731,947 times
Quote:
To me, North Jersey, for the most part has a New England Feel to me. South Jersey feels a lot more like the Southeastern states. Central Jersey is somewhere in between.

I'm a Northerner myself, and while it is crowded, I greatly prefer it to South Jersey.
New England???????

SE? well, I guess it would depend on which one. NC is most like South Jersey, in my opinion. South Jersey, like Philadelphia is MidAtlantic. If you go anywhere from Philly to Richmond you can see the similarities.

Regardless, North Jersey & South Jersey are more dissimilar than alike.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:32 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,744,349 times
Anyone who thinks that North Jeresy is remotely like New England has never been to New England. You don't get "New England" until you leave the influence of NYC and start to get the Boston influence. IMO it's a stretch to still consider Connecticut part of New England.

North Jersey is an extenstion of NYC, just as South Jersey is an extension of Philadelphia and both of these areas pattern after their metro market more than they realize. I think both areas have a lot to offer, but it depends on what you are looking for. I do think that North Jersey is faster paced and overdeveloped and while that is part of it's appeal, that's also a drawback. South Jersey is more laid back and more rural in comparison and that has it's drawbacks, but is also an advantage.

I've lived in both, albeit briefly in North Jersey and while I liked the excitement of North Jersey, I did miss the more casual and laid back atmosphere of South Jersey. It really comes down to personal preference and I just happen to prefer South Jersey to North Jersey. I also happen to prefer Philadelphia to NYC. I imagine it's that way for most people.

I don't think anyone in South Jersey envies North Jersey. There is the political aspect of wanting our fair share of the pie, but I don't hear people around here lamenting how they wish South Jersey was more like North Jersey and the reverse is also true. The only anecdotal evidence of "which is better" would have to be transplant people. I've met quite a few people who moved from North Jersey to South Jersey to raise their families and cash in on the value that South Jersey offers. These same people are also sucking up hour and a half commutes for work, so their moves were for personal reasons. Conversely, I've heard of very few people from South Jersey moving to North Jersey unless the move was job related.

They are different sides of the same coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia