Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Anyone who thinks that North Jeresy is remotely like New England has never been to New England. You don't get "New England" until you leave the influence of NYC and start to get the Boston influence. IMO it's a stretch to still consider Connecticut part of New England.

North Jersey is an extenstion of NYC, just as South Jersey is an extension of Philadelphia and both of these areas pattern after their metro market more than they realize. I think both areas have a lot to offer, but it depends on what you are looking for. I do think that North Jersey is faster paced and overdeveloped and while that is part of it's appeal, that's also a drawback. South Jersey is more laid back and more rural in comparison and that has it's drawbacks, but is also an advantage.

I've lived in both, albeit briefly in North Jersey and while I liked the excitement of North Jersey, I did miss the more casual and laid back atmosphere of South Jersey. It really comes down to personal preference and I just happen to prefer South Jersey to North Jersey. I also happen to prefer Philadelphia to NYC. I imagine it's that way for most people.

I don't think anyone in South Jersey envies North Jersey. There is the political aspect of wanting our fair share of the pie, but I don't hear people around here lamenting how they wish South Jersey was more like North Jersey and the reverse is also true. The only anecdotal evidence of "which is better" would have to be transplant people. I've met quite a few people who moved from North Jersey to South Jersey to raise their families and cash in on the value that South Jersey offers. These same people are also sucking up hour and a half commutes for work, so their moves were for personal reasons. Conversely, I've heard of very few people from South Jersey moving to North Jersey unless the move was job related.

They are different sides of the same coin.
I was born in Michigan, but lived in South Jersey for just over 40 years. I never would have left if it wasn't for a need to go elsewhere for job purposes. When faced with a choice of North Jersey or a metro in NC, I chose NC, because I felt that it was closer to the lifestyle that I had in South Jersey.

During the housing boom, we were getting over-run by people from North Jersey, NYC, & Long Island in Cherry Hill. They obviously hated living in South Jersey. Complain, complain, complain. . .

Here, in the Charlotte area, I run into North Jersey transplants who freuently have the same complaints that their bretheren who moved to South Jersey had. I also find refugees from South Jersey, who, like me, got priced out of South Jersey when the real estate was run up & certain jobs dried up. I don't hear complaints from the South Jersey people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
This thread could just as easily be titled: "Where's the better place to live: Metro Philly or Metro NYC?" and put on the general U.S. board. Southern NJ = Philly and Northern NJ = NYC. They are two distinct and separate entities.

As for the poster that claimed that Northern NJ has a New England feel to it, I would argue that, yes, if you claim extreme northern Sussex County, around the NY State boundary, you are approaching a variant of New England. Someone would be hard-pressed, if blind-folded and then unblind-folded, to distinguish between Highland Lake NJ around Rt 284, and a small town in Western Massachusetts, such as Richmond or Tyringham.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:38 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
LOL @ these NNJ/SNJ threads........................ It's always an exercise in South Jersey venting their "Hey, what about us?" feelings.
South Jersey always seems to have a problem with North Jersey. On the other hand, North Jersey simply does not care one way or the other.
Quite telling.
I don't get this - if you read all the posts, there wasn't a single one that bashed north Jersey. In fact, most of us pointed out in our posts that there are good and bad things about both areas. What post that came before yours did you consider a vent?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
These debates are always funny because everyone already knows that North Jersey is nothing more than a petro chemical and industrial wasteland intermixed with failed and corrupt cities populated by thugs and the mafia. Meanwhile South Jersey is nothing more than scrub pine forests and fallow farmland interspersed with trailer parks and populated by slack jawed "pineys" ala Deliverance.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Civil is right. Much more down to earth and laid back compared to the preppiness of North Jersey.

I don't know Ridgewood particularly, but I am not really a fan of Bergen County. It's very cramped and congested, and "preppy", and much of the developing looks kinda gaudy and dull.

The Philly burbs in South Jersey is my favorite part of NJ. Second choice would be where I live now, which is very convenient in terms of location with instant access to all the major highways and I love New Brunswick, but am here because I work here. If I could get a job in the Philly region I'd move down there in a second. That said, I don't think Cherry Hill would be on my list of places to live. I'd look in some of the neighboring towns like Evesham, Maple Shade, Cinnaminson or Delran among others. My mother grew up in CH in the 1970s and my grandparents still live there, exactly 40 years now. CH is a nice town and has some beautiful neighborhoods, but seems to be a bit too expensive and overpriced IMO, and we know what other element comes with that.

I hate the Philly burbs, mainly because they feel like they are becoming like North Jersey in that they are becoming much more fast paced and city oriented.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that North Jeresy is remotely like New England has never been to New England. You don't get "New England" until you leave the influence of NYC and start to get the Boston influence. IMO it's a stretch to still consider Connecticut part of New England.

North Jersey is an extenstion of NYC, just as South Jersey is an extension of Philadelphia and both of these areas pattern after their metro market more than they realize. I think both areas have a lot to offer, but it depends on what you are looking for. I do think that North Jersey is faster paced and overdeveloped and while that is part of it's appeal, that's also a drawback. South Jersey is more laid back and more rural in comparison and that has it's drawbacks, but is also an advantage.

I've lived in both, albeit briefly in North Jersey and while I liked the excitement of North Jersey, I did miss the more casual and laid back atmosphere of South Jersey. It really comes down to personal preference and I just happen to prefer South Jersey to North Jersey. I also happen to prefer Philadelphia to NYC. I imagine it's that way for most people.

I don't think anyone in South Jersey envies North Jersey. There is the political aspect of wanting our fair share of the pie, but I don't hear people around here lamenting how they wish South Jersey was more like North Jersey and the reverse is also true. The only anecdotal evidence of "which is better" would have to be transplant people. I've met quite a few people who moved from North Jersey to South Jersey to raise their families and cash in on the value that South Jersey offers. These same people are also sucking up hour and a half commutes for work, so their moves were for personal reasons. Conversely, I've heard of very few people from South Jersey moving to North Jersey unless the move was job related.

They are different sides of the same coin.
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This thread could just as easily be titled: "Where's the better place to live: Metro Philly or Metro NYC?" and put on the general U.S. board. Southern NJ = Philly and Northern NJ = NYC. They are two distinct and separate entities.

As for the poster that claimed that Northern NJ has a New England feel to it, I would argue that, yes, if you claim extreme northern Sussex County, around the NY State boundary, you are approaching a variant of New England. Someone would be hard-pressed, if blind-folded and then unblind-folded, to distinguish between Highland Lake NJ around Rt 284, and a small town in Western Massachusetts, such as Richmond or Tyringham.

I would disagree with the first part, because Eastern South Jersey and Western North Jersey (based on what my friends who live there have said) both do not feel like they revolve around their respective metropolitan centers.

As for the second part, I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

I agree with this as well!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:04 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
These debates are always funny because everyone already knows that North Jersey is nothing more than a petro chemical and industrial wasteland intermixed with failed and corrupt cities populated by thugs and the mafia. Meanwhile South Jersey is nothing more than scrub pine forests and fallow farmland interspersed with trailer parks and populated by slack jawed "pineys" ala Deliverance.

You forgot to mention that all North Jersey residents are rude, obnoxious citizens of Italian descent who like to watch Jersey Shore, and all South Jersey residents are slow-moving and dumb.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
You forgot to mention that all North Jersey residents are rude, obnoxious citizens of Italian descent who like to watch Jersey Shore, and all South Jersey residents are slow-moving and dumb.
Wow what a way to paint the state. The rude ones are NY transplants with new money. It just so happens that I was born in NYC's present-day garbage dump known as Staten Island and after seeing how the island has suffered NYC isn't a place I ever plan on going back to and I can honestly say I'm not a fan of it at all. It costs a fortune just to go there, and everything there is overpriced, higher than outside, hell all the toll booths are located in SI. NYC has gone from one of the most dangerous places in the country to the nation's preppiest newest money pit. It's more "fake" now than Los Angeles IMO. And it's full of people who've lived there their whole lives and never traveled out of it and can't understand for the life of them why anyone else would want to leave. Greatest city in the world? Biggest joke I ever heard in my life.

I happen to like Pennsylvania for the record. And aside from following the Mets, Jets and Islanders, I'd take Philly as my city of choice over NY anyday.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
Wow what a way to paint the state. The rude ones are NY transplants with new money. It just so happens that I was born in NYC's present-day garbage dump known as Staten Island and after seeing how the island has suffered NYC isn't a place I ever plan on going back to and I can honestly say I'm not a fan of it at all. It costs a fortune just to go there, and everything there is overpriced, higher than outside, hell all the toll booths are located in SI. NYC has gone from one of the most dangerous places in the country to the nation's preppiest newest money pit. It's more "fake" now than Los Angeles IMO. And it's full of people who've lived there their whole lives and never traveled out of it and can't understand for the life of them why anyone else would want to leave. Greatest city in the world? Biggest joke I ever heard in my life.

I happen to like Pennsylvania for the record. And aside from following the Mets, Jets and Islanders, I'd take Philly as my city of choice over NY anyday.
Hey.....

My post was a joke, as was the post by NJGOAT that I quoted.

My point was that many people on these boards like to paint North Jersey as exactly a certain way, and South Jersey as another certain way.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:21 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
New England? Where the hell in North Jersey are you?

Pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd.
ah, see that's the question. the "NNJ" people speak of is really northeast jersey closer to manhattan. northwest jersey is the stix too

Old 08-02-2010, 12:34 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
i love north jersey - lived in elizabeth for 18 years. learned to drive in north jersey [caused several issues here in arkansas, haha]. seriously, you know how peoplego around people who are turning in jersey? i did that once in arkansas and got honked at by like 3 people. i did it again closer to little rock and got pulled over. haha. i drove on AR67/167 like i was on the Garden State Parkway...weavin, haha and gothonked at its fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia