Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:13 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
And remember that CH is much closer to Camden and is in Camden county. Camden county has more crime thus your home owners and car insurance is more then in Burlington county. Thats a fact.. CH is very close to the dicey part of Pennsaken..
But doesn't Merchantville sorta come between them? And in that case I always thought the bad side of Pennsauken was west of 130.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 12:37 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
I am not familiar with Riverton but as a rule of thumb, towns differ by neighborhood so what might be "iffy" for some might be okay for others. Some people like the suburbs, some people like historic districts, some prefer rural areas, etc. You have to pick what works best for you and not someone else. Best to visit the neighborhood and see what it's like and talk to future neighbors if you can. Drive through especially late on Friday and Saturday nights to see if anyone is loitering on the corners, etc.

As far as radon, the Appalachian mts have a strong concentration of radon. You can check it out on EPA sites. But alot of South Jersey, because of it's sandy soil is not that prone to radon. Previous posters have pretty much given the general info, but if it really concerns you, you can ask a Seller to have the radon mediated (at least try to).

Old 07-28-2010, 12:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I am not familiar with Riverton but as a rule of thumb, towns differ by neighborhood so what might be "iffy" for some might be okay for others. Some people like the suburbs, some people like historic districts, some prefer rural areas, etc. You have to pick what works best for you and not someone else. Best to visit the neighborhood and see what it's like and talk to future neighbors if you can. Drive through especially late on Friday and Saturday nights to see if anyone is loitering on the corners, etc.

As far as radon, the Appalachian mts have a strong concentration of radon. You can check it out on EPA sites. But alot of South Jersey, because of it's sandy soil is not that prone to radon. Previous posters have pretty much given the general info, but if it really concerns you, you can ask a Seller to have the radon mediated (at least try to).
You're right, radon is not much of a problem in a lot of South Jersey because of sandy soil, but there's a strip by the Delaware River that is piedmont clay. It is a problem with the piedmont clay.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're right, radon is not much of a problem in a lot of South Jersey because of sandy soil, but there's a strip by the Delaware River that is piedmont clay. It is a problem with the piedmont clay.
Hey, this is an interesting point. Also in granite, much of it farmed in PA. Some homeowners are concerned with granite counter tops but the % is low (for most of them anyway).

Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
But doesn't Merchantville sorta come between them? And in that case I always thought the bad side of Pennsauken was west of 130.

Im talking the Pennsauken on Haddenfield road... It butts up to Cherry hill.. + where cherry hill meets 130 south of Merchantville.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:45 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post

very true. North Jersey has a MUCH higher rate of radon gas due to the rocky nature of that area.. Radon comes from rock

Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,423 times
Cherry Hill doesn't touch 130.

Officially Cherry Hill ends at Cuthbert Blvd. West of that is Merchantville.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
Looks like Merchantville and Cherry Hill might be studying a merger soon: Merchantville has a proposal for Cherry Hill | Philadelphia Inquirer | 07/29/2010

Old 07-29-2010, 03:11 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Looks like Merchantville and Cherry Hill might be studying a merger soon: Merchantville has a proposal for Cherry Hill | Philadelphia Inquirer | 07/29/2010
Ah now you're talking. They're finally gonna start merging towns.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:30 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Mergers is something that needs to happen all over. On this one, I hope it does happen. I have extended family who live in Merchantville as well as a couple friends. They all faced the same issue. Merchantville is a great town and the elementary school is pretty good. The problem is that come high school, the kids go to Pennsauken High. Pretty much everyone I know who lives there sends their kids to private school if they can afford it. Mainly Camden Catholic and Paul VI. My wife and I actually considered living there briefly, but the school situation kept us away.

The thing I am wondering is that Merchantville doesn't want to raise taxes, so they are open to the merger. Cherry Hill is open to the idea as it won't really cost them anything and add significant tax revenue. The issue is when you look at comparable lots/houses between Merchantville and Cherry Hill, Merchantville's taxes are a lot cheaper, in the area of $1k-$2k per year cheaper. Wouldn't people in Merchantville's taxes be going up either way?

I think if I lived there I would trade higher taxes for the Cherry Hill schools and the property value bump, but it really does seem like this is simply all about schools and getting out of the Pennsauken deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia