Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:11 PM

6 posts, read 27,720 times

Advertisements

I am currently in Washington Township. Drove through Swedesboro, a little older but I love it! Any areas that you NEED to stay away from? Im married with a little one. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 06:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Not really. The houses that are directly off King's Highway in downtown are a mix and that area is probably as "bad" as it gets. There's a combination of older homes with some in disrepair, rehabbed homes and new constuction. That area also has a lot of multi-family apartments. This area is also very diverse with most of the minority population of the town living there. The area isn't dangerous, but some of the homes aren't necessarily well kept and if you are buying I would personally recommend avoiding places that are near multi-family apartment houses.

You also need to be aware that Swedesboro is a lot more than just Swedesboro. Woolwich, Logan, East Greenwich and South Harrison townships are all centered around Swedesboro and all are part of the Kingsway Regional High School district with each town operating it's own independent elementary schools. In the case of Woolwich and Swedesboro, they are seperate towns but share an extensive amount of services such as police and fire and have a merged school district.

Are you looking to buy or rent? Also, are you interested in Swedesboro because you like the downtown or for another reason? Depending on what you want you may be better off in one of the other towns in the area versus Swedesboro itself.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM

6 posts, read 27,720 times
Im looking to purchase a home. I just love it because it seems very quiet and open. Downtown is also very nice. I found a home i'm definitely leaning towards. Tons of new homes on one side and then the older homes across the street. There isn't apartments its just a bunch of twins.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanylm View Post
Im looking to purchase a home. I just love it because it seems very quiet and open. Downtown is also very nice. I found a home i'm definitely leaning towards. Tons of new homes on one side and then the older homes across the street. There isn't apartments its just a bunch of twins.
Sounds pretty nice, they have been and are continuing to do a lot of development. At the end of the day all that really matters is the school system and it is very strong. I wouldn't worry about buying there.

For what it's worth I live in the Beckett section of Logan Twp. We can't walk to downtown Swedesboro, but it is a quick drive. You may want to look there as the schools are just as good (Logan is actually rated a tick higher and both go to the same regional high school), but Logan's taxes are much cheaper (generally $2k per year less on a comparable home). The reason for that is Logan has a much larger ratable base do to the business parks in the Township.

Like I said, you can't really go wrong with anything in the area. The only area that is a little "sketchy" in terms of houses is the immediate downtown between the bridge over Raccoon Creek (Trinity Episcopal Church is the landmark in town) and where King's Highway forks. So, basically the blocks directly off King's Highway between Church St. and Lake Ave. They aren't really "bad" just not as nice as the other areas.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 14,854 times
Default Homes in Swedesboro

Swedesboro is an awesome place to live.I have a bunch of friends that live in Weatherby and High Hill estates.Swedesboro has a great school system and alot of kids.I can even possibly help you find the right home for you and your family.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseserko View Post
Swedesboro is an awesome place to live.I have a bunch of friends that live in Weatherby and High Hill estates.Swedesboro has a great school system and alot of kids.I can even possibly help you find the right home for you and your family.
Just to point out, neither Weatherby nor High Hill Estates are in "Swedesboro". Both of those developments are in Woolwich Twp. Woolwich and Swedesboro might as well be the same town when it's all said and done as they share many services including schools, but they are different towns with different tax rates and governments.

That's the thing about the area that confuses a lot of people. You have 4 Townships; East Greenwich, Logan, South Harrison and Woolwich all centered around a Borough, Swedesboro. All of them are a part of Kingsway Regional High School, but each operates their own elementary program and are distinct towns. It gets complicated because Swedesboro is the post office and everyone shares that zipcode. On top of that there are census designated areas within the townships that are also their own town.

For instance I live in Beckett and can write my address as Beckett, Logan Twp. or Swedesboro and all are correct. Someone living in Mickleton could write Mickleton, East Greenwich Twp. or Swedesboro and all are correct.

It really comes down to finding the type of house you want, but people need to be aware of the different areas as taxes can change dramatically between towns. Woolwich for instance has the highest taxes in the area, why Logan has the lowest. The school systems are all pretty much equal and everyone goes to the same high school, so it really comes down to the house.

You mentioned Weatherby and High Hill Estates, both are very nice developments, but you can find similar homes in Logan and pay about $2k less a year in taxes and live in virtually the same area.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 PM

22 posts, read 52,758 times
As NJGoat mentioned, Swedesboro and Woolwich are seperate. If you are looking in the borough of swedesboro the taxes are horrible on a newer home. I just got bumped up to 10k on a 2200 ft home, 7yrs old, on a .17 acre lot! The same home in the weatherby development is about 2500 less and it's a nicer neighborhood.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2009 View Post
As NJGoat mentioned, Swedesboro and Woolwich are seperate. If you are looking in the borough of swedesboro the taxes are horrible on a newer home. I just got bumped up to 10k on a 2200 ft home, 7yrs old, on a .17 acre lot! The same home in the weatherby development is about 2500 less and it's a nicer neighborhood.
Not to **** you off, lol. I have a newer (~10+ years old) 2,200 sq.ft. home in Logan (Beckett) on .21 acres and pay $4k a year in taxes. My kids go to an equally rated and less crowded elementary/middle school and attend the same high school.

I only mention this as the tax differentials are CRAZY in the area. I personally think that Woolwich, Swedesboro and Logan should merge. All the population areas are centered in the same location and it would make a lot of sense for cost cutting and shared services. The only issue I have with it is that my taxes would probably go up while your's would go down, but it would make a lot of sense for long term growth and stability.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM

62 posts, read 135,972 times
The boro of Swedesboro is okay. I love older homes too - very charming! Swedesboro is combined with Woolwich Twp for schools - excellent school system. Quite frankly, Logan Twp does not have the best caliber of people and I'd steer clear of it. Sometimes higher taxes are worth it (and there's usually a very good reason why the taxes are higher!)

Old 09-25-2010, 06:52 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
was in Swedesboro today with my car at a car show and was inpressed. Talking with some local cops today and they say its pretty safe. Jimmy Rollins and the eagles new QB(not the dog killer) lives there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia