Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,688,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm2kaitlyne View Post
Hmm...I don't know. I think it is pretty different for us at least. Some things I like better, some less. I have taken the girls to the library here in Burlington County, and I like the libraries better, more programs for little ones. I'm still trying to decide which grocery store I like best for deals (I'm a couponer). I guess the big difference for me are the shopping centers. I love the Promenade and one of the nice ones in Cherry Hill (the one with the Wegmans), which are very much like the shopping centers in Raleigh. I just HATE seeing the other run down centers with closed up buildings and that kind of thing. I guess it's because Raleigh is such a NEW city as far as growth, a lot of things there are so new and here, not so much.

The girls and I drove over to the farmers market in Berlin and I didn't even get out of the car. I just didn't feel safe. We're hoping to try the Columbus market soon. We went to Johnson's corner farm and LOVED IT. We will definitely be making many trips there over the coming months.
Haha. Berlin Market... It is a a dump for sure.
Fun to walk around though.

Try the Collingswood Farmers Market. (Saturday 8am-12 I think)
Good local produce and meats and stuff. Right at Collingswood PATCO station. (block up) I enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,790,823 times
Quote:
Hmm...I don't know. I think it is pretty different for us at least. Some things I like better, some less. I have taken the girls to the library here in Burlington County, and I like the libraries better, more programs for little ones. I'm still trying to decide which grocery store I like best for deals (I'm a couponer). I guess the big difference for me are the shopping centers. I love the Promenade and one of the nice ones in Cherry Hill (the one with the Wegmans), which are very much like the shopping centers in Raleigh. I just HATE seeing the other run down centers with closed up buildings and that kind of thing. I guess it's because Raleigh is such a NEW city as far as growth, a lot of things there are so new and here, not so much.

The girls and I drove over to the farmers market in Berlin and I didn't even get out of the car. I just didn't feel safe. We're hoping to try the Columbus market soon. We went to Johnson's corner farm and LOVED IT. We will definitely be making many trips there over the coming months.

go to the flying feather too(my other post linked it) and get the corn, tomatoes and jersey tomato cheese pie and their rotisserie chicken.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:15 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,448,852 times
Quote:

Hmmmmmmmm............... well, Charlotte & the whole metro are loaded with empty places. I didn't realize that Raleigh hadn't joined the club.

The Berlin Farmer's market is a real dump, but it isn't unsafe. LOL, I'm west of Charlotte in the disaster area where all of the mills have closed down. The locals are extremely amused that I look for dumpy places (except for supermarkets, my town has a huge shiney new Ingles).

My favorite supermarket was Pathmark, for decades. They were bought out shortly before I moved & last summer I went in & some stuff had changed.

Aldi is good for certain things (no coupons there). I tended to do my supermarket shopping at Pathmark, with occasional runs to Acme. Produce Junction was my 1st stop for produce.

Check out the Amish place on Rt 70.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,989,151 times
We do some of our shopping at Murphys on Tuckerton and some at Ginardis.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:04 PM

267 posts, read 948,139 times
Quote:
What about Wawa? What's good to get there? I think I've heard someone mention that their hoagies are awesome? Fill me in!
Wawa is a good chain. All of their locations are clean and pretty well run. I'm not sure what the convenient store scene was like where you were from, but I think you can see that Wawa is way better than say 7/11. I'm originally from North Jersey and the comparable chain there is QuickCheck. Wawa is certainly better. Their "deli" isn't bad for something quick, but it is certainly not what I'd call a real deli. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I hear it is very good there.

For a hoagie, I've yet to find something that stacks up to Primo Hoagies. A pretty good deli is Kibitz Room on Springdale Rd in Cherry Hill.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Well, I was up there for a week, & in & out of Cherry Hill. I was appalled by the condition of Route 70. I was also shocked to see that the bank on the corner of Route 70 & Sawmill Road has been torn down & nothing is there! That bank was there when my family moved there in 1964. My parents' house was a couple of blocks down on Sawmill, so that was a landmark to us, & a lot of other people. It was a nice looking faux-colonial brick building, so don't know why it was torn down. The empty building next to it has never held tennants well. Everyone who lived near there thought that someone's palm was greased when it was built. That was wetlands.

The empty building at Rt 70 & Brace Road is sad, too. In 1964, that was Garwoods (The ultimate discount store, which was locally owned) & The Big W (a sort of discount grocery store). After those stores closed, it was (briefly) Dales, a supermarket (Penn Fruit & Dales was a chain. Some stores were Penn Fruit & others were Dales.). Then it was Pathmark, for decades. When Pathmark had financial problems, they moved out & consolidated at the Church Road store & sublet the building to a discount store out of North Jersey. Now it's empty & for sale. I'm certain that it will be torn down, but like the now-vanished bank, that was a landmark & a hub for so many people. . .

The empty complex across now has a sign that a CVS is coming. That was originally a small, suburban branch of Lit Bros. Department store. One of several long-gone Philadelphia Department stores. That whole area of retail was severely damaged when they cut out Ellisburg Circle.

Try Duffield's Farm Market. It will be quite a drive for you, but while I was at my sister's she picked up corn & sweet potatoes & they were great. (She sent some corn home with me & I'm finishing it this morning.) Welcome to the Home page for Duffields Farm, bring your kids for the day, birthday parties, u-pick fields, fresh greens, fresh vegetables, strawberries, sweet corn, pony rides, Fall Festival, Indian corn, Hayrides

Last edited by southbound_295; 09-15-2010 at 09:32 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 08:38 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,841,746 times
Try Umi Sushi in Somerdale for fantastic sushi.

Best places for groceries are Produce Junction, Aldi, and Trader Joes. We pretty much do 99% of our shopping at those three, and the best part is, no coupons. If you want a regular supermarket, Shop Rite is the best, but they are variable and some of them are worse than others.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:24 PM

877 posts, read 2,827,865 times
Default Aldi's!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Try Umi Sushi in Somerdale for fantastic sushi.

Best places for groceries are Produce Junction, Aldi, and Trader Joes. We pretty much do 99% of our shopping at those three, and the best part is, no coupons. If you want a regular supermarket, Shop Rite is the best, but they are variable and some of them are worse than others.
Definitely check out Aldi's, on Rt 38 in Maple Shade I believe. I do my big shopping there (the one here in Brunswick ). Box of cereal for $1.79, bags inside filled up to the brim, no air inside. Fill your house with food for $40, can't beat that.

BTW, I don't think Millville brand cereal is from Millville, NJ.

I HATE Shoprite!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Definitely check out Aldi's, on Rt 38 in Maple Shade I believe. I do my big shopping there (the one here in Brunswick ). Box of cereal for $1.79, bags inside filled up to the brim, no air inside. Fill your house with food for $40, can't beat that.

BTW, I don't think Millville brand cereal is from Millville, NJ.

I HATE Shoprite!
Love Aldi! I went to the one on 38! Was in there 2 weeks ago & one of the women recognized me.

I had pretty much gottten my shopping down to Aldi, Pathmark & Trader Joes (but I hate the parking lot of the Marlton store, so Trader Joe's in Delaware. . .) I'd go to the the Haddonfield Acme for odds & ends occasionally.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 PM

877 posts, read 2,827,865 times
Default My chance to rave about Wawa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My niece's LOVE the shakes! Wawa is my favorite coffee, they have a lot of flavors and a lot of creamer flavors and I can do it up myself (unlike DD, where apparently I can't be trusted with the Splenda). The hoagies aren't as good as a hoagie shop BUT you can get them 24 hours a day and it's quick and convenient. They even have whole wheat rolls if you want them.
+1 on Wawa being the best coffee. DD's is overrated sorry. I love the Wawa hoagies, I eat one at least once a week and they're definitely a better option than the junk you'd get at McDonalds for example. I wouldn't say that much healthier, but certainly not as unhealthy as the Big Macs.

Oh and be sure to get a sweet cream cheese pretzel if they have any there. Those are deadly and addictive!

Gas, typically, at Super Wawas also tends to be cheaper than most other gas stations. Unfortunately my two Wawas I generally go to here in North and South Brunswick have no gas and I have to go all the way to South River to fill up, but I'm exaggerating.

Does anyone else miss the toasted raviolis and potato nuggets they pulled? Please bring them back!

I had a girlfriend who was a true piney, a real Ocean County girl, who practically lived at Wawa, since the area she grew up in practically had one at every corner. And the way she put it was if there is no Wawa by you you're not in civilization.

Quick Chek is the biggest Wawa rip-off in the state. If it weren't for their peanut butter cookies, I'd be all for Wawa suing them for copying I'm glad my town doesn't have one!

Last edited by Whoelsebutcharles; 09-20-2010 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia