U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM

8 posts, read 17,901 times

Advertisements

I recently posted that my husband and I are considering a move to the South Jersey area. His job would be at Fort Dix, however I would need to find a new position in the area... This leads me to my next question. There is a potential position I may be able to get, however the catch is its located in Camden. I would prefer the location to be different. The specific location would be very close to the Camden Aquarium. I will admit that I know very little about the city so my question really is how dangerous is this particular area of Camden? Is it ok to travel in/out for work?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 07:46 PM

608 posts, read 1,295,274 times
Yeah, just don't stop your car.
Actually the aquarium area is actually safe. They want to keep the tourists there. So its probably the safest part of Camden.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 PM

23,806 posts, read 32,345,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Near&Far View Post
I recently posted that my husband and I are considering a move to the South Jersey area. His job would be at Fort Dix, however I would need to find a new position in the area... This leads me to my next question. There is a potential position I may be able to get, however the catch is its located in Camden. I would prefer the location to be different. The specific location would be very close to the Camden Aquarium. I will admit that I know very little about the city so my question really is how dangerous is this particular area of Camden? Is it ok to travel in/out for work?
If it's near the Hall of Justice, it's safe.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:02 PM

756 posts, read 2,046,378 times
I think you could take the RiverLine and be at the doorstop of the aquarium.

I had to stop at Rutgers Camden the other day. I think during the day it was safe, and along the waterfront there were people. But, the area has a somewhat dead feeling to it.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 AM

584 posts, read 1,354,920 times
You should be fine. I had to go to the area at night a week or so ago and was admittedly anxious - I was surprised at how well lit and secure the area felt (given the terrible reputation of Camden generally). My husband works at Rutgers-Camden and hasn't had any problems. I wouldn't venture outside of the water front/University bubble though.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 AM

691 posts, read 2,929,650 times
The waterfront area is fine to work in. Just drive in on Admiral Wilson Blvd (Rt-30) or I-676 and you will not be driving through any of the real dangerous areas.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:45 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,571,811 times
I work in this area. Daytime you are fine. (though still shady at times)
Just plan to work then walk right to car and leave.
Fine to walk a few blocks for lunch. It is clear which areas you are better off not venturing into.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:34 PM

8 posts, read 17,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I work in this area. Daytime you are fine. (though still shady at times)
Just plan to work then walk right to car and leave.
Fine to walk a few blocks for lunch. It is clear which areas you are better off not venturing into.
This is what I am really wondering about. I'm not too concerned with traveling in and out of the area during the daytime, but what about in the winter when it starts getting dark at 4:30?

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM

23,806 posts, read 32,345,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Near&Far View Post
This is what I am really wondering about. I'm not too concerned with traveling in and out of the area during the daytime, but what about in the winter when it starts getting dark at 4:30?

Thanks everyone for the responses.
I have a friend who works at the Hall of Justice & has worked there since the building was erected & worked at the old Camden County Court House before the Hall of Justice was built. Particularly in the winter, they leave in groups. Some drive, some take the PATCO line.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 AM

14,781 posts, read 41,438,071 times
The downtown area of Camden bordered by Martin Luther King Blvd, Admiral Wilson Blvd (Route 30) and I-676 is what some in the area call the "Green Zone". This is where the waterfront attractions, courts, city hall, Rutgers University, Cooper Hospital and the transportation center are located. This is the safest area in Camden and very little crime occurs there.

For what it's worth the vast majority of crime in Camden occurs in the neighborhoods and is of an internal nature. I honestly can't remember the last time a "tourist/visitor/worker" had anything bad happen to them. With that said, it is best to still take precautions. I think virtually all the offices located in that area have people walk in groups with security to the parking lots.

When driving in it's best to stick to the main roads 676 and 30 and not venture too much. I worked on Cooper St. at the Red Cross when I was younger and used to take PATCO into Camden and then walk to the office and then walk a block or two for lunch. Later I worked at the entertainment center on the waterfront and was routinely in the city at late hours.

Overall, I wouldn't let that area of Camden deter me from taking a job there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia