Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,961 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband and I are thinking of moving to the South Jersey Area and we will be commuting to Langhorne Pa and Center City area. We have a two yr old daughter and we have another one on the way so the school district is very important to us.We found two diffrent houses that we like around 300k one is in Cinnaminson and the other one is in Cherry Hill in the Windsor Park Section.Could you please let us know which area is more desirable as far as safety, shopping, activities and overall family living. As well as which one would be an easier comute to both locations. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 02:17 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Both areas offer good school systems and are safe, family friendly areas. With that said, Cinnaminson is the cheaper area to live since it is in Burlington County. The property tax rates on the two locations should be different, with Cinnaminson coming in cheaper. So, overall Cinnaminson should be cheaper than Cherry Hill and you are getting a similar environment.

On the commute end, I would need to again defer to Cinnaminson. The sticky part here for both towns is Langhorne. The person commuting to Langhorne is going to have the much harder time.

For the person going to Center City, the debate would center on whether they are driving or taking the train. Either way, Cinnaminson provides an easier commute. There is a Riverline station in town that will take you to Camden where you can transfer to PATCO to get into Center City. If the Center City commuter isn't working near a PATCO stop, they could still easily drive to the best bridge for them. Tacony-Palmyra is close by and takes you to NE Philly, so it's ideal if the job is on the north side of Center City (this bridge is also the best one for the Langhorne commuter to take). If they are in the main section of Center City, they would have an easy drive down 130 to Ben Franklin or a little bit further to get to Walt Whitman.

From that section of Cherry Hill the Center City commuter wouldn't have too hard of a time, but they would either be driving up 38 to one of the bridges or driving to a PATCO station as none are too convenient to that area. The Langhorne commuter faces a much tougher problem as that area really isn't near a major highway that they could get on to get to Langhorne. They would have a heck of a drive to get to Tacony-Palmyra or would need to get to 295 in NJ and take that to the Burlington-Bristol Bridge.

If these two places are the only choice, I would have to say Cinnaminson as it should be cheaper and provides for the easier commute.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:10 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,496 times
Default Cinnaminson

Go with Cinnaminson. Cheaper taxes, decent schools and a better commute to PA. $2 toll on the Tacony Bridge while the three other bridges into Philly are all $4. Burlington Bristol is also $2 I believe. It's also a much smaller town, population is only 14K compared to the 70K in Cherry Hill. Also look at Delran, the next town up Rt 130.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:18 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,873,537 times
I agree. And we picked Cinnaminson. We made the right choice. its has a small town feel with the community park having movie nights, festivals etc. The ride to CC from our house is no more then 20 minutes. Easy commute. Burlington county is cheaper for car and home owners insurance cause it is further from Camden.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:06 AM

184 posts, read 370,320 times
Don't worry about the bridge tolls, they are insignificant compared to property taxes and car insurance.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discndav View Post
Don't worry about the bridge tolls, they are insignificant compared to property taxes and car insurance.

our car insurance was more expensive in Philly then it is in Jersey. When you take in city wage tax we paid way more in Philly for taxes then our prop taxes in Jersey too.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Windsor Park is walking distance to a Catholic church (with school), a Lutheran church, a synagogue, a Russian Catholic church, Cherry Hill West, & Kennedy hospital. It's a straight shot down Kings Highway to the Haddonfield & Westmont PATCO stations. There is bus service as well.

That said, the roads, particularly route 70, in Cherry Hill are in attrocious condition. Traffic is usually bad. You must know as many back routes as possible to avoid problems.

Insurance is higher in Cherry Hill. I questioned a hike & reclassification, years ago, & was told that the reason for this is because of the mall, not proximity to Camden or any of the other things that I asked about. My agent told me that if I lived a few block south, in Haddonfield, the insurance rate would decrease.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:58 PM

my agent told me it was Camden. Honest... I was shocked too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Windsor Park is walking distance to a Catholic church (with school), a Lutheran church, a synagogue, a Russian Catholic church, Cherry Hill West, & Kennedy hospital. It's a straight shot down Kings Highway to the Haddonfield & Westmont PATCO stations. There is bus service as well.

That said, the roads, particularly route 70, in Cherry Hill are in attrocious condition. Traffic is usually bad. You must know as many back routes as possible to avoid problems.

Insurance is higher in Cherry Hill. I questioned a hike & reclassification, years ago, & was told that the reason for this is because of the mall, not proximity to Camden or any of the other things that I asked about. My agent told me that if I lived a few block south, in Haddonfield, the insurance rate would decrease.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:05 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
my agent told me it was Camden. Honest... I was shocked too.
I was told the mall, by the insurance agent. I was confused, since I did not live near the mall, but then he quoted the rates for Haddonfield, &, sure enough, it was cheaper.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I was told the mall, by the insurance agent. I was confused, since I did not live near the mall, but then he quoted the rates for Haddonfield, &, sure enough, it was cheaper.

Haddenfield IS further from Camden then CH too

and what would a mall have to do with it?? none of the 'bad guys' live there.. If you parked at the mall every day I can see it higher.. But just near it?.. huh????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia