Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 AM

93 posts, read 236,085 times

Advertisements

Is anybody affected by this economy that we're all in?
I just joined this site & figured I would start a new post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 12:39 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
not us thanks Goodness. Both our careers are unaffected. In fact I had the busiest summer the last 2 summers then I have ever had.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:42 PM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
not us thanks Goodness. Both our careers are unaffected. In fact I had the busiest summer the last 2 summers then I have ever had.
Good for you!! What industry? We've been lucky, for the most part, no one in my immediate family has been affected either. I was most worried about my parents..but they are old school - they pay for nothing with credit, have owned their home for 20 years, and own their cars. I'm learning there just might be something to their anti-credit mindset!

Old 12-12-2010, 02:57 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
Good for you!! What industry? We've been lucky, for the most part, no one in my immediate family has been affected either. I was most worried about my parents..but they are old school - they pay for nothing with credit, have owned their home for 20 years, and own their cars. I'm learning there just might be something to their anti-credit mindset!
I'm guesing that your parents are baby boomers, like me. You have to understand that we grew up with the Depression. Our parents were the Depression kids. That's what that generation was called until Tom Brokaw renamed them as the WWII generation.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:07 AM

Well,I certainly have been,lost my day job over a year ago,I work part time for UPS @ nights,then collect a partial unemployment check.Just squeaking by this year.Now that the Republicans rule the house now days,don't know what 2011 will be like.Most of this country is suffering because of 8yrs of the Bush era!!

Old 12-13-2010, 06:04 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenj View Post
Well,I certainly have been,lost my day job over a year ago,I work part time for UPS @ nights,then collect a partial unemployment check.Just squeaking by this year.Now that the Republicans rule the house now days,don't know what 2011 will be like.Most of this country is suffering because of 8yrs of the Bush era!!

Not sure what your skill set is, but I always recommend people look for jobs within Universities ... there are jobs that vary in terms of educational requirements (kids, spouse, and you get free tuition- a nice bonus). And (esp if you go over to the Phila side) we haven't been as affected by the economy. My university has been doing pretty well and as far as I know has avoided the large scale layoffs of other schools (we've still be hiring). Now...PA just elected a new set of a officials with different values regarding education (and higher education in particular), so some of the public institutions may lose their funding. So we'll see what 2011 will bring. But, just a suggestion - take a look at Universities (if you haven't already).

Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 AM

I worked in N.E.Phila for almost 10yrs,wouldn't want to do that again,only if I lived in the state I would consider it.Tolls were $2 back then,lol.The Phila taxes killed me too,& driving 21 miles each way.It just wouldn't be worth it too me to do that again,with the price of gas almost $3 a gallon,thanx for the advice though!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:35 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
I got laid off in the beginning of 2009. Despite having many industry contacts pretty much no one was hiring. It took me about 6 months to get a job and even then I took about a 20% pay cut. The only thing that saved us is that we had been renting following an out of state transfer and then coming back and we had decided just before I got laid off to move in with my in-laws to save money for a house. I was really against the idea at first, but it ended up being the only thing that saved us.

Unemployment was about 30% of what I was bringing in and about 50% of that was going to pay for COBRA as my wife was pregnant at the time. We wisely used our severance package and income tax refund and were never late on a bill throughout the time I was unemployed. We then adjusted to the salary loss when I did get a job by scaling back on the cars we had and getting rid of all debt before we bought the house.

In hindsight we learned a lot about finances and the difference between needs and wants. Today we have our own house, 2 reasonable cars and only some medical bills for debt. On top of that my wife is able to be a SAHM, despite us bringing in less money than we were. Sure, we no longer drive Audi's and go shopping for fun, but we also don't have to pay for all that excess. It's all about adjusting to your situation, not making the situation adjust to you.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:35 AM

So true,NJGOAT,we all have to adjust in this economy,I had a great job making $18.32 an hour,then the company moved moved Colorado,then started another job only making around $12 an hour,that was in 2004 they closed.Benefits,I never worry about them,UPS pays for me & my family.When my old job closed,COBRA was the only way people that use to work there could get benefits,such a rip-off if you ask me!My prescriptions are "free" for generic or the most I pay is $5.I just can't beat that!I get union raises every year,a lot of companies today,you get nothing these days!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:02 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Please remember to keep the discussion local, as national politics and policies are topics for another forum. Thanks.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia