Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,204 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am relocating from California to South New Jersey and I am looking for a place to live, 2 young adults with an active life style. I am looking for a nice place to stay with near by restuarants, malls and bars.
I am also looking at center city, philadelphia and cherry hill, NJ.
Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay? I have been going crazy trying to find a place to rent with no luch. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 07:15 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
do you prefer the city or suburb lifestyle? Center city and Cherry hill are worlds apart on many levels. There are no malls in CC, CH is full of them. Plenty of restaurants in both places. Bars too. More rentals in CC(VERY expensive), CH are more single homes..

Old 12-15-2010, 10:02 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
do you prefer the city or suburb lifestyle? Center city and Cherry hill are worlds apart on many levels. There are no malls in CC, CH is full of them. Plenty of restaurants in both places. Bars too. More rentals in CC(VERY expensive), CH are more single homes..
Did the Gallery close, Frank?

Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 AM

93 posts, read 236,105 times
If you like the country,Hammonton is very nice

Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Did the Gallery close, Frank?

I forgot about that mall. For good reason. We went a few years ago and it was scary. Hopefully, its cleaned up since..

Old 12-16-2010, 04:19 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
Quote:
I forgot about that mall. For good reason. We went a few years ago and it was scary. Hopefully, its cleaned up since..
It didn't.

It's like an adventure, a safari if you will. Wild animals and all!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
I'd look at getting a rental in South Jersey to start. You may want to check out rentals in some of these towns: Collingswood, Haddon Twp. (aka Westmont), Voorhees, Cinnaminson, Cherry Hill, Marlton and Mt. Laurel.

All of those towns have at least one major apartment complex and some of them have several. Each of these towns has a different flavor and all are convenient to nightlife and shopping.

Collingswood (Camden): Multiple restaraunts downtown and the PATCO train to Philly is an easy walk from anywhere in town. The major drawback is that it's a dry town.

Haddon Twp.(Camden): Fewer restaraunts than Collingswood and more suburban, but there are a couple bars and again it's an easy walk to PATCO.

Voorhees (Camden): Large spread out township with many different mixed developments. There is a PATCO station there, but it would be a drive from most areas. There is a lot of variety in Voorhees when it comes to rentals.

Cinnaminson (Burlington): Older developed suburb that is further north than the others. It has easy access to the Riverline which can get you to PATCO to head into Philly. There is a new development of apartments and townhomes called the Cove at Cinnaminson that is nice and the Riverline stop is right outside the development.

Cherry Hill (Camden): Another large spread out township of multiple developments, but serves as the areas hub for shopping and dining. There are a variety of rentals here, but everything will require a car ride to get to. There is a PATCO stop in Cherry Hill, but it is in one corner of the township and there really aren't any rentals near it.

Marlton (Burlington): Is a little more off the beaten path and has areas that are borderline rural. However, there are a lot of nice rentals here (mainly townhomes) and easy access to shopping, but every trip will be by car. Getting to Philly would require either driving into the city or driving to a PATCO station.

Mt. Laurel (Burlington): Another large township spread out over a big area. There are several apartment communities here and they are generally regarded as nice. Just like Marlton all of your trips will be by car and getting to Philly is the same.

After each town name I noted what county they are located in. Overall Burlington County tends to be cheaper than Camden County especially in terms of things like car insurance. The flip side is that while Camden County is sort of one endless suburb, Burlington is more spread out with a lot more open space.

Finally, I would really recommend starting out in South Jersey. It's cheaper to live there than it is in Philly (not only is rent cheaper, but if you live in Philly you have to pay an additional City Wage Tax on top of your state taxes) and is also a lot safer and quieter while still affording access to just about anything you would want as well as the option of being in Philly in less than 15 minutes depending on which town you pick. Once you are in the area, if you find it isn't to your liking, you can always move into the city and will have the time to conduct thorough research and get to know the neighborhoods. While it is hard to miss in South Jersey (it may be boring, but it is generally nice and safe), you can miss big in Philly if you don't know where to go.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It didn't.

It's like an adventure, a safari if you will. Wild animals and all!
Thats what I figured..

Old 12-16-2010, 09:30 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
Quote:
Thats what I figured..
lol...I worked for two years in Center City, about 2 blocks away from the Gallery. In all that time, I never set foot in the place and would wait to come home to Jersey if I needed anything versus running out on my lunch hour. It gets real bad if the temperature is extreme as anyone without adequate heat or AC decides to go shopping.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:22 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,102 times
I'm a resident of Collingswood and I would definately suggest it as a nice starting point for someone from the west coast. The town is ecelectic and has an artsy side to it that separates it from its more traditional, generation to generation town. It has a GLBT population and offers nice things to do on weekends. The HUGE drawback is the fact that it's alcohol free but all the restaurants are BYO and there are about 15 in a 5 block strip. The plus is that you can be in Philly by PATCO train in 12 minutes and it runs 24/7. This allows drinking and NOT driving nor paying bridge tolls nor parking in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia