Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:21 PM

26 posts, read 67,780 times

Advertisements

I am curious...I was just looking at a house on realtor.com and it is listed at $169,900 located at 401 7th street in Riverton. Is there something wrong with this area? Could there be something wrong with the house? It is quite lovely from the pictures but I know that can be quite deceiving. Are there bad parts of Riverton?

Also what is the ride like mid morning from Riverton to Center City? If we do decide to go back into the deli business I would like to know what traffic would be like to make deliveries?

Thanks again...Brigid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 07:23 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
here is some great data on Riverton, crime stats, population breakdown, housing breakdown. Read it all. Very safe area.

//www.city-data.com/city/Riverton-New-Jersey.html

is this the home?
401 7th street, riverton 08077 - Google Maps

there are NO bad parts in Riverton. .. Its a twin so the whole home is not all yours, its split down the middle. But looking at it on some sites it looks really nice.. Trex deck and all. Very nice. Super area... You are sharing it with another family. Its a quaint little town with a very small (maybe 5 officers) Police station and never any problems besides a few traffic stops and domestic disputes..

Riverton to CC (center city) in morning traffic 8 am or so.. is about a 350 minute ride. About 10 minutes less earlier in the morning. Ya jump on rt 90 and over the besty ross to 95 south and in 4 miles you are at the center city exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigid68 View Post
I am curious...I was just looking at a house on realtor.com and it is listed at $169,900 located at 401 7th street in Riverton. Is there something wrong with this area? Could there be something wrong with the house? It is quite lovely from the pictures but I know that can be quite deceiving. Are there bad parts of Riverton?

Also what is the ride like mid morning from Riverton to Center City? If we do decide to go back into the deli business I would like to know what traffic would be like to make deliveries?

here is some great data on Riverton, crime stats, population breakdown, housing breakdown. Read it all. Very safe area.

//www.city-data.com/city/Riverton-New-Jersey.html

Thanks again...Brigid

Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 AM

more links in Riverton. 4th of july parade/raftrace/soapbox derby/carnival is outstanding. Ya know.. they still have working gas lamps on the streets..

Riverton NJ 4th of July

Riverton, NJ Town Profile

Riverton, NJ Borough Web Site

Riverton, NJ Borough History

Riverton, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Riverton, NJ Police Department

riverton nj - Google Search

Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 AM

26 posts, read 67,780 times
Thank you for those great links. I love seeing that there are a lot of children. I am a bit nervous about uprooting mine and hoping they make friends quite easily, especially my 10 year old boy.

Some more questions --
- do a lot of the residents own boats or wave runners and are they out on the water often?
- where does everyone go in the summer, what part of the Jersey shore is more accurate?
most families book the same week every year and usually at the same time others in the neighborhood go.
- does everyone send their children on to the high school or do they attend a private school. I saw a private high school for girls. What is the boys high school? I know I have a good few years before high school and scores can get better, I just want to be prepared.
- are the residents welcoming to new comers?
- Is Cinnaminson close enough that I could ride my bike to Riverton if we choose to live there instead?

Thank you all again, I am getting very excited...

Brigid

Last edited by brigid68; 02-21-2011 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: hit wrong key

Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
T
Some more questions --
- do a lot of the residents own boats or wave runners and are they out on the water often?
- where does everyone go in the summer, what part of the Jersey shore is more accurate?
most families book the same week every year and usually at the same time others in the neighborhood go.
- does everyone send their children on to the high school or do they attend a private school. I saw a private high school for girls. What is the boys high school? I know I have a good few years before high school and scores can get better, I just want to be prepared.
- are the residents welcoming to new comers?
- Is Cinnaminson close enough that I could ride my bike to Riverton if we choose to live there instead?

Thank you all again, I am getting very excited...

Brigid
some residents own boats and wave runners, yes.
We go to Wildwood nj shore every summer. Love it there..
Cinnaminson HS is good, Moorestown is better, Palmyra is third but not bad.
Residents love new people! We have never been so welcomed. In fact when we get home from vacation they make dinner for us. Stuff like that. Wonderful area..
Cinnaminso is next to riverton. But it really depends on where in Cinnaminson, on how far from Riverton you are. From 5 feet to 2 miles.. We are about a 10-15 minute bike ride away.. Here is a map of Riverton to see how close everything is..
riverton nj - Google Maps

Old 02-21-2011, 04:08 PM

speaking if bike riding.. We mountain bike and there is an island on the Delaware that is 50 acres that we ride on and other parks within 10 minutes away that we love to ride in.. Some beautiful areas and parks on the waterways around here. Here are some..

Burlington County

Parks

http://www.co.burlington.nj.us/Pages/pages.aspx?cid=584

http://www.co.burlington.nj.us/Pages...0Island%20Park

Old 02-21-2011, 05:59 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,561 times
Quote:

Thanks again...Brigid
That's pretty funny... I grew up at 305 7th street.

The price is low because that house is a twin I believe, and the yard is pretty small. There was an older woman living there, but her sons were plumbers so mechanically the house is probably fine.. probably needs some updating, but 170K sounds about right for a twin.

There's nothing wrong with the neighborhood though.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:19 PM

Other random thoughts from someone who's lived in Riverton and Cinnaminson.

Cioci's must be a good location, that place has been a deli for my 40 years and before that. .

Riverton is the better town to bike, but depending on what you're looking for, that's about it. In Cinnaminson you're far more likely to find central air, modern wiring/plumbing etc. We lived there when we first got married but got tired of the "This old house" thing.

300 grand in Moorestown is going to get you a tiny house in Lenola.

Cinnaminson strikes a good compromise where you can get a decent single house for 250K or so and have a school district where you dont have to worry about private school.

The sheer number of kids is greater in Cinnaminson than Riverton giving your kids a better shot of fitting in. A new kid in Riverton will stick out in a class of 20, here not so much because there are 100 kids in the class..

Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 PM

Another suggestion if you move here, is to look at joining the pool.. we belong to Pomona Swim club and for 450 bucks it's a bargain. My kids spend the entire summer there and you meet a lot of people.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM

5 posts, read 10,758 times
Quote:

There are people whose backyards have a couple of sailboats and a canoe sitting around, and then there's most people, who don't. I love the river as a place to walk/bike/etc., but unless you're into the Yacht Club, Riverton isn't really a place where people casually get on/in the water. The YC offers sailing lessons for kids in the summer, so you can get involved if you have the money/desire, it's just that boating is not a natural activity shared by most residents.

Quote:

Ocean City, Cape May, the south shore. The furthest north I've heard of is Seaside Park (yes, that Seaside ) A surprising number of people go south to Maryland, North Carolina, and Virginia.

Quote:
- does everyone send their children on to the high school or do they attend a private school.

Palmyra is the local public high school; the local Catholic HS is Holy Cross in Delran. Other private alternatives are Moorestown Friends (which goes K-12), the Doane Academy in Burlington (also K-12, and which I think would be the all-girls school mentioned), and Bishop Eustace in Pennsauken. Cinnaminson has a popular Catholic K-8 in Saint Charles.

Quote:

Sure. They're right next to each other and there's no industrial or non-residential 'zone' in between. I've ridden to Moorestown, too. The major hassle is crossing Route 130, a 6-lane highway that consistently gets ranked as one of the more dangerous NJ highways for pedestrians. But there is a pedestrian bridge at the intersection most common for Riverton residents to head out toward Cinnaminson/Moorestown.

Quote:
Riverton - because of its close proximity to the river is there a problem with flooding?

No. The properties on the riverbank get flooding at the far front end of their land, but as this is not near their houses, I don't believe they get house problems. Everywhere else, it's not a town with mold/mildew problems in general. I've lived here a long time and been in a lot of the houses, and that's something I've never smelled/seen/heard about. Moorestown, on the other hand, does have a problem with damp. It seems odd, as Moorestown is much farther from the river, but it and neighboring Mount Laurel are both quite low-lying. Areas of Mount Laurel can have bad flooding, and many of Moorestown's beautiful homes in the most desirable downtown area have decided damp issues in the basements and garages.

[quote=brigid68;17879901] Moorestown - I noticed that some of the houses were right up on the train tracks.

The streets which are right up against the train tracks in some parts of downtown are what passes for the 'bad' neighborhoods in Moorestown. It's not that bad (it's still Moorestown) but your neighbors will be more likely to have pit bulls and Rottweilers than Golden Retrievers and Labradoodles.

I would like to live in a neighborhood where my kids and I can hop on our bikes and ride. Moorestown seemed to have a park next to 38 that had a path we could ride. Does Riverton or Cinnaminson have any trails? I also would like a good Main Street where we can walk to and establish relationships with the mom and pop stores. I don't want to hop in my car every time I need something.

Strawbridge Lake is nice. Moorestown and Mount Laurel have some very nice parks. Riverton's just too small to support any trails beyond a simple dirt track around the local park. People mostly ride along the river, and through town. Riverton's Main Street is not very big and doesn't tend to have stores where you can browse and shop. There's a pizza place, a bakery, a deli, a barber shop, a gym, a yoga studio. Moorestown's business district is much more useful. On the other hand, you can easily walk or ride a bike to the school in Riverton, as well as to the local library. Moorestown's public schools are a little off the beaten track, and their library is on the verge of being relocated, a project which will likely take a while.

My family currently owns a deli in the DC area and are preparing to sell. We may consider doing the same in New Jersery. I saw on Craigslist that Cioci's Deli in Riverton is for sale. Is the location of the deli a good area?
Are there many delis in the area? Are there any bagel shops nearby? I saw a pizza shop Milanese, I believe.

There's been a deli in that location for at least 20 years, and it's been very popular, particularly since Riverton's only grocery store closed down a few years ago. The closest other delis are both in Palmyra, not far but people are used to going to the one in Riverton and I think most residents would prefer staying in town. The only real 'grocery' type store in town is the CVS, which sells chips and soda, but of course has no deli counter or bread. The nearest large grocery, Acme, is closing this week. It's going out of business because it didn't compete, price-wise, with the nearby Shop-Rite (Cinnaminson), Wal-Mart (Cinnaminson) and Wegmans (Mount Laurel), but it was popular with Riverton people because it was so close.
The deli's most recent owners did a nice rehab job on a dated interior and seemed nice enough, but they never seemed very happy to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia