Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,757 times

Advertisements

Pennsauken has never been anything other than a blue collar town. All the "nice" sections of Pennsauken are really in Merchantville. The idea that it can be or once was like Cherry Hill is silly. It's right on the edge of Camden, which just laid off so many cops that the crime has increased there so rapidly since. And if the garbage starts to spread, that is the direction it is going to go. Most of Pennsauken was really OK until a few years ago. But now the neighborhoods west of Rt 130 have really gone downhill over the last decade. The parts near Cherry Hill and around Merchantville are still fine, but in neighborhoods like Delaware Gardens on the edge of Camden, lots of very old people who have owned homes there for decades are passing away, so the houses sit there vacant because no one with kids and means is going to buy a house right outside Camden today, and the junk starts to occupy it illegally before long.

You can check out the links Frankgn87 posted, but I would monitor those neighborhoods very closely since they are only just east of 130. Seriously I am all for it not getting any worse, but we need to face the facts here. There is a reason the town has earned nicknames such as Camsauken or Pennsucky over the last decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 PM

681 posts, read 1,511,818 times
The best time to buy in the last 20 years is now. Unfortunately, you will not get much for 120k in and around Cherry Hill worth living in. If sellability is on your mind, remember: buyers want good schools, even if you don't have kids. Lindenwold, Blackwood, Lawnside...sure you can get a "deal" but if selling is on your mind someday, it may be tough. Also, be sure to factor in the property taxes of the town or you will be getting a huge shock! Try looking in Oaklyn or Audobon for something decent; it's close to the city and you can find small cape and bungalows for close to your price.

Collingswood also has a section of airlight homes over by the pool which might work well for you, too. Basic "packer park" style rows that were built in the 50's. You could also try looking on Collings ave and streets by the PATCO for a decent row style twin. Being so close to CC Philly, Collingswood is a great start for a 25 yo.

Last edited by GraysFerryB4; 03-29-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,037 times
I'm not sure that if you are looking to buy a 1 or 2 bedroom condo that you really need to consider "good schools". My reason being is that families will not be looking to buy a 1 or 2 bedroom condo, and if you yourself do end up having a family 5 years down the road, you will most likely move yourself anyway and then another single person would most likely be your potential buyer. I would look at factors that would interest a buyer your own age, safety of the area and ease of commute would probably be important factors to consider.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:31 PM

14 posts, read 43,291 times
Thanks everyone, they are all very good information and definitely makes me think more about what I want.

I went to check out a townhouse (or condo?) today, the property is in Mount Laurel, it's a place that needs quite a bit of work (defnitely needs painting, bathrooms completely redone, and needs new carpet...etc).I don't mind having to do some work at all and i almost prefer that...The asking price is within my price range AND it's a three bedroom (3 Story)...

I almost thought I hit the jackpot because I would've never thought i could find a property in Mt Laurel at this price (and this size). but after i did a search on here i realize that everyone says to stay away from that community.......which was Willow Turn.

This is really not easy!

Last edited by yve726; 03-29-2011 at 03:47 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 03:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Have you checked out Marlton? I do remember seeing a few condos/townhouses in that price range.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:38 PM

398 posts, read 732,465 times
You can never buy something with the intention that it meets all of your possible future needs. What if you end up having six kids? That three bedroom house isn't going to work very well anymore, is it? What if you have a car accident and are stuck in a wheelchair? That split level might be more trouble than it is worth now. Really, I think the mentality of "stay out of town X" is what CAUSES those towns to go downhill. NJ is frustrating because it's so separated by race and economic class.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:08 PM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
For someone without kids, and without a spouse, the earliest they would need schools would be 5 years down the road. By then they could sell or rent the place out and move to a better school district, or if they have the money they could go private. Maybe they won't get married and have kids for another 5 years, then they wouldn't end up needing schools for 10 years. By then maybe they've hit the lottery and can afford to live in Moorestown. In the meantime they lived in a kickass spacious house with some decent land around it in Pennsauken rather than a tiny dollhouse off Burnt Mill Road in Cherry Hill, and they can then move out and rent the place out to a some empty nesters or sell it.
That's Ashland, & there's nothing wrong with Ashland.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
You can never buy something with the intention that it meets all of your possible future needs. What if you end up having six kids? That three bedroom house isn't going to work very well anymore, is it? What if you have a car accident and are stuck in a wheelchair? That split level might be more trouble than it is worth now. Really, I think the mentality of "stay out of town X" is what CAUSES those towns to go downhill. NJ is frustrating because it's so separated by race and economic class.
No, you can't meet every possible future need. However, you can strike a balance with smart buying. Towns with traditionally good school systems are always in demand. Houses/townhomes/condos with 3 bedrooms and 1.5-2 baths appeal to the largest segment of potential buyers. Therefore, if you are going to buy, the safest bet is to buy a 3 bedroom, 1.5-2 bath house in a town with a good school system. The house itself may not always meet every need you could potentially have, but it will offer you flexibility in terms of your needs and the greatest ability to sell if that's what it comes to.

As far as not recommending towns go, there is usually a good reason for that. Some towns have been teetering on the "brink" of bad for quite awhile or have recently begun to slide. Deciding to buy a home there is a risk. You are rolling the dice that there are going to be a lot of people moving in who want to invest in the community or that some outside influence is going to fix the problems. Pennsauken is that kind of town. There are nice sections and bad sections, but the bad is getting to be more than the good these days. You might buy in a good section today only to be standing on your porch 7 years from now wondering what the heck happened to the neighborhood and unable to sell.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:54 PM

681 posts, read 1,511,818 times
If it's hard, that means you are doing your homework. You have to get what's right for you in the end. You don't want to be house poor so HOA fees, property taxes, amount of "fixing up" requires and "sellibility" are all important, especially in your budget range.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:43 PM

81 posts, read 340,727 times
If you work in AC have you looked into Hammonton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia