Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:15 PM

7 posts, read 12,997 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am in need of many suggestions here. My fiance and I are moving from Harrisburg, PA to Southern NJ. He will be working in Atlantic City. Any suggestions as to what towns/areas would be be best to live? We need to be close to A.C., we want a safe, nice but affordable area. Want to also be close to beaches, restaurants, movies, shopping areas, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 02:43 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Hammonton.. Great area, nice homes.. Close to AC..

Old 04-11-2011, 03:03 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMarie19811 View Post
Hey all, I am in need of many suggestions here. My fiance and I are moving from Harrisburg, PA to Southern NJ. He will be working in Atlantic City. Any suggestions as to what towns/areas would be be best to live? We need to be close to A.C., we want a safe, nice but affordable area. Want to also be close to beaches, restaurants, movies, shopping areas, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Will you be looking for work?

Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 PM

7 posts, read 12,997 times
Yes I will be working, but not sure where I will be. My fiance needs to be close to A.C. because he will be working at the hospital in A.C., so we can't be too far from that. I'd like to be in a nice, safe area that is affordable and near the beach. We don't want to live in A.C. itself though, as alot of the area isn't all that safe.

Any thoughts on Absecon, Northfield, Linwood, Somers Point, Egg Harbor, Galloway Township, Ventnor?

We want to be very close to restaurants, shopping, movie theaters, etc. and the beaches.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
anywhere along a bus route would be best or in the case of the link the purple lines Google Map check the box that says NJ TRANSIT bus routes many atlantic county routes are 24/7 they are:
  • 559 lakewood to atlantic city local via rte 9 it runs hourly sometimes more frequent.
  • 551 express to philly from atlantic city with 2 stops at sicklerville and camden both stops providing connections to other routes also rail tickets work on this line and 554. Also 551 runs every 30 minutes except midday when its hourly except summers when its always 30 mins except night 1 am to 5 am check schedule.
  • 554 Lindenwood local runs hourly with extra rush hr trips runs down white horse pike to PATCO.
  • 553 every 30 mins except night after midnight bridgeton to AC via rte 49 then to vineland and landis ave and rte 40 the line then goes express from mays landing to AC.
  • 552 runs to cape may via GSP and wildwood and cape may courthouse.
  • 507 ocean city to AC local via shore road. runs frequently also.
  • 505 runs every 15 mins atlantic city to longport not all trips go to longport.
  • 501 to brigantine runs hourly 24/7
  • 502 on black horse pike to hamilton mall but night service is run on the 553 line.
  • some trips however cant be done by transit but everything else there are these.
  • Camden has no 24/7 rtes however several rtes link with 551 and 554.
  • the 508 runs all day but not 24/7
  • for more info consult me.
  • also on rte 9 a rte from ocean city to atlantic city called 509 runs but only till mindight and is hourly

Old 04-13-2011, 02:09 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I would personally suggest Galloway Twp. Close enough to AC and one of the branches of the hospital is located there. Nice diversity in housing and good schools as well as convenient access to the major shopping centers.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,186 times
Default Mays Landing

If you are planning on buying a home, i would suggest Mays Landing. Close to the AC expressway, the mall, and great shopping centers. Try Lennar Cedar Point which has excellent location and is a new development

Old 04-20-2011, 11:07 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMarie19811 View Post
Yes I will be working, but not sure where I will be. My fiance needs to be close to A.C. because he will be working at the hospital in A.C., so we can't be too far from that. I'd like to be in a nice, safe area that is affordable and near the beach. We don't want to live in A.C. itself though, as alot of the area isn't all that safe.

Any thoughts on Absecon, Northfield, Linwood, Somers Point, Egg Harbor, Galloway Township, Ventnor?

We want to be very close to restaurants, shopping, movie theaters, etc. and the beaches.
Galloway and Northfield, and Egg Harbor Twp (forget Egg Harbor City) are nice but in summer will be a 30 minute drive to the beach on weekends, in lots of traffic (Northfield is closest to nice beaches of the 3). These areas are more densely populated and have lots of shopping and restaurants, although a lot of chains in EHT. Somers Point and Linwood are both close enough to AC and very close to the beaches of OC or Margate (5-10 minutes)- both nice areas. Linwood is the more expensive of the 2, but depends where - Somers Point is very $$$ if on the water but affordable inland. Very nice restaurants, not chains. Both close to good shopping and not too far from the mall. Ventnor is very variable expense wise, closer to AC end cheaper and less safe (but not dangerous by any means) closer to Margate end more expensive. Of course very close to AC, and it is a beach town. I would highly suggest coming down to see the towns in person. Also, is your fiance going to be working 9-5 hours at the hospital, or variable hours? That makes a big difference, as if he is going to need to go to work at 7pm on Saturday night or coming home on a Sunday night, the closer to AC and least reliance on the Expressway/Parkway the better in the summer. You might also look at Brigantine, although it's gotten more expensive over the last 10 years and does get some overflow AC crime due to proximity. Absecon's crime rate is rising, and I have a friend selling her home there for that reason.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:37 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Ventnor is a quiet little town, with a non-commercial boardwalk I love to walk. But it might be out of your price range. And my best friend, who lives there, complains about the summer shoobies a LOT. Galloway is a nice compromise, but in the summer the beaches will be a little less than "close" because of traffic. It does, however, have the advantage of being close to Wharton State Forest, which is great if you like to walk/hike. Your fiance might even get transferred to the local branch of AtlantiCare someday.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,484 times
Default Home for sale in NJ

Great home in NJ

great school area and very closet to everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia