Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2011, 12:07 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Montreal is also a very unfriendly city to visit, but that could probably be a different thread.
The Quebecois just ignore you the second they realize you are American, it's pretty funny actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 03:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
I don't even know what to say right now..... Really?.... Really?!?!
what? you dont love britney? you must be one of those bieber fans.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
I think Montreal has parts of the city where people wouldn't wear sports apparel. The hipsters, etc. Same as Manhattan or any major city really.

But as soon as you get outside of that, Canadians are total sports fanatics.

Montreal is also a very unfriendly city to visit, but that could probably be a different thread.
i went there once for a friends bachelor party weekend. these girls ripped off his underwear in front of everybody and whipped him!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
I think Montreal has parts of the city where people wouldn't wear sports apparel. The hipsters, etc. Same as Manhattan or any major city really.

But as soon as you get outside of that, Canadians are total sports fanatics.

i've had a blast in montreal. was treated nicely at the hotels i've stayed in, and the clubs we went to.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i've had a blast in montreal. was treated nicely at the hotels i've stayed in, and the clubs we went to.
I have to second that, I've never had a bad experience in Montreal. I think a lot of people assume they hate Americans, but that really isn't the case. Same thing for France, many people assume they are anti-American, but they are not. The only caveat would be that you do need to assimilate yourself a bit to their culture while you're there. Even making an attempt to speak French can take you a long way. How many Americans would be receptive to a French person walking up to them in say Philadelphia and asking for directions in French, my guess is not too many.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:43 PM

398 posts, read 732,930 times
Even out in the middle of nowhere, the Quebecers are generally kind (if not helpful) to English speakers who at least try to make an effort to speak French. They are much more polite than most Americans would be to someone randomly showing up in their small town and speaking French (or Spanish) to them.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,224 times
Everyone here seems to be in denial about how odd it is to others to see people in South Jersey walk around with Phillies shirts all the time. Like Northbound81, I moved to the area to attend school and its really annoying having to see YET ANOTHER Phillies shirt. The shirts aren’t even nice looking, never mind the sports team worship, but maybe if they updated the font of the “P” it wouldn’t be such an eye sore. And I’m really not trying to be offensive but what’s with the Phillies Mascot? What is that thing? It looks like a retarded alien.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoShotJR View Post
Everyone here seems to be in denial about how odd it is to others to see people in South Jersey walk around with Phillies shirts all the time. Like Northbound81, I moved to the area to attend school and its really annoying having to see YET ANOTHER Phillies shirt. The shirts aren’t even nice looking, never mind the sports team worship, but maybe if they updated the font of the “P” it wouldn’t be such an eye sore. And I’m really not trying to be offensive but what’s with the Phillies Mascot? What is that thing? It looks like a retarded alien.
Here's the thing, & I mean no offense. Stop & think about it. You two are temporary outsiders. Who are you to come into an area & pick apart what obviously makes the natives & long-time residents happy? Are you the fashion police?

The mascot is the Phanatic. The fans enjoy him. Perhaps you'd prefer the Mets' mascot or the San Diego chicken, but you're stuck with the Phanatic. He's goofy, & the fans like him that way.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:58 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
The Phanatic is consistently voted as one of, if not the best mascot in sports.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 AM

398 posts, read 732,930 times
I agree with WhoShotJR. And someone who moves here to attend school is no more a "temporary outsider" than anyone else in the area. We pay taxes - property, sales and income - just as you do, and we live here too and have the right to comment on anything we wish.

The mascot is a different story... it's pretty stupid but benign and I have no complaints about the Phanatic. Maybe I would complain if everyone started carrying Phanatic puppets or stuffed animals around with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia