Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 PM

14 posts, read 43,300 times

Advertisements

I had lived in North Jersey for the past 8 years,a town i lived in had a relatively high ratio of Asian population (I'm Chinese myself).

While i know that there are definitely not as many Asians in SJ, I would like to know how diverse SJ is. Which town(s) has the most Asian presences?

I did check the demographics and it seems like Cherry Hill and/or Voorhees are pretty diverse? Is that true?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 07:27 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Camden County do have Asian presence but it's still a very low percentage. Only a few Asian Supermarket in the area. There still lack a Chinese community center (aside from the organized church ones).

Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 PM

398 posts, read 732,523 times
There's a couple Asian supermarkets on Route 70 in Cherry Hill. I know the H Mart is Korean, the other one is either Chinese or Vietnamese I believe. I don't think South Jersey is particularly a Chinese area. There's tons of little americanized Chinese food takeouts around. Some of the owners live in Philadelphia, some live nearby. Six months ago an authentic Chinese restaurant, Yangtze River, opened up on Clements Bridge Road in Deptford Township. Not sure if they survived, I haven't been in that area lately. Also, Philadelphia has a decent Chinatown. So you'll be able to get your fix of Chinese culture in the area.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
You are correct about Cherry Hill & Voorhees.

H-Mart is in Cherry Hill & there is a Chinese owned Asian supermarket in the Barclay shopping Center. Both stores are Asian in scope, not specific to one nationality. There are a lot of Vietnamese in the area. Many came as refugees after the Vietnam War.

The H-Mart, of course, is part of a chain. The other store is also part of a very small chain that exists in NJ. Chinatown, in Philadelphia has lots of places, as well.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:41 AM

14 posts, read 43,300 times
Thanks all, I was really hoping that I'd find a town here in sj like Edison because I remember how out of place I felt when I went to high school in metuchen.

Nonetheless I appreciate the info very much!

Old 05-07-2011, 10:55 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yve726 View Post
Thanks all, I was really hoping that I'd find a town here in sj like Edison because I remember how out of place I felt when I went to high school in metuchen.

You would not feel out of place.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:46 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Well, nothing matches Edison, but yes, Cherry Hill and Voorhees have a good sized Asian population. Marlton and Mt. Laurel to a much lesser extent but still there.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:04 PM

81 posts, read 340,746 times
Cherry Hill is pretty much 50% Asian/50% Jewish.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:42 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
Racial make-up of Cherry Hill according to Wikipedia (for what it's worth)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Hill,_New_Jersey:

"The racial makeup of the township was 84.67% White, 8.87% Asian, 4.46% African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.70% from other races, and 1.16% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.54% of the population."

Another demographic web breakdown: Cherry Hill City Data, Neighborhood Community Profiles, Cherry Hill Demographics (http://profiles.nationalrelocation.com/New%20Jersey/Cherry%20Hill/ - broken link)

Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yve726 View Post

Closest thing to what you are looking for is West Windsor and Plainsboro in Mercer County. Huge Chinese and Asian populations. The Mayor of West Windsor is from Taiwan. The northernmost part of South Jersey..........or the southernmost part of North Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia