Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:32 PM

5 posts, read 7,427 times

Advertisements

We're getting ready to relocate to Burlington County for my husbands job. I'm only halfway familiar with the Cherry Hill area relating to shopping - outside of that, I'm clueless.

We have a young son who will be entering the school system at the kindergarten level.

So far in my research, it seems the Mount Laurel is our best bet for a nice family orientated neighborhood with good schools - but I'm also seeing some lovely homes in the $350k range in Westampton, Cinnaminson, Burlington and Hainsport...

Can anyone tell me anything about those neighborhoods (good & bad) and the school systems they attend? Are there "good' & 'bad' sections of those towns? Hainesport I heard can be iffy overall - is that still true? I've not heard anything at all about Westhapton - so I'm very interested in getting any info on it! Any info would be so appreciated!

What neighborhoods near that area am I missing that would be a good fit for us? Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:48 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aancs View Post
We're getting ready to relocate to Burlington County for my husbands job. I'm only halfway familiar with the Cherry Hill area relating to shopping - outside of that, I'm clueless.

We have a young son who will be entering the school system at the kindergarten level.

So far in my research, it seems the Mount Laurel is our best bet for a nice family orientated neighborhood with good schools - but I'm also seeing some lovely homes in the $350k range in Westampton, Cinnaminson, Burlington and Hainsport...

Can anyone tell me anything about those neighborhoods (good & bad) and the school systems they attend? Are there "good' & 'bad' sections of those towns? Hainesport I heard can be iffy overall - is that still true? I've not heard anything at all about Westhapton - so I'm very interested in getting any info on it! Any info would be so appreciated!

What neighborhoods near that area am I missing that would be a good fit for us? Thanks so much in advance!
Just so that we're on the same page, you are mentioning Burlington County & Cherry Hill. Cherry Hill is in Camden County.

Of the towns that you mentioned, go with Cinnaminson.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:19 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
Cinnaminson or Westhampton.. Your best bets

Old 05-12-2011, 07:20 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,604 times
Of all the towns you listed I'd go with Mt. Laurel or Cinnaminson. Schools are good. I would also consider Westampton but the kids attend the Rancocas Valley HS which has a reputation for being "rough." So if you're thinking long term you might want to consider that. With that said...if it weren't for the HS - I wouldn't hesitate to go with Westampton either. Good luck

Old 05-12-2011, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 7,427 times
Oh!! yikes - rough High School reputation is not good. Though my son is of kindergarten age currently and anything can happen in that period of time, still we kind of had plans to settle in long term. Thanks for the info - good to be informed!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I'd agree with Mount Laurel and Cinnaminson as your best choices in that price range. You may also want to check out Marlton/Evesham Twp. There are homes within your price range and excellent schools as well.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
The only highschools in Burlington county that aren't rough are probably Mt Laural, Medford, Marlton, Cinniminson, Bordentown, Evesham, Northern Burlington HS near Columbus (its actually shared with elementary school), and Moorestown. There's two vocational HS's one in medford one in westampton, they're not great neither. Burlington Township could is ok its a bigger district and nice new homes, not the part next to willingboro though.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:58 AM

364 posts, read 1,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aancs View Post
Oh!! yikes - rough High School reputation is not good. Though my son is of kindergarten age currently and anything can happen in that period of time, still we kind of had plans to settle in long term. Thanks for the info - good to be informed!
I would look just at elementary school at this point, since as you said "anything can happen". We just bought in Mt. Laurel, but we also loved Marlton/Evesham and Voorhees. All have very high-rated schools, but I also read that there were some tough budget cuts in 2010, so who knows how that will affect the schools' ratings?

Are you buying a house or renting? What price range are you looking at? Where are you moving from? Where will you/your spouse be working?

Old 05-13-2011, 11:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
The irony when it comes to schools is that while NJ residents have distinct opinions on good, bad and average, most people moving from outside the state will find that even average NJ schools are better or at least as good as the "good" schools in their home states. For instance, folks from the area look down on RV, but in most places RV would be considered a "good" school and rather typical.

Rating sites don't help the impression, because they are based on comparing schools within the state among themselves, not to schools on a national level. For instance, people coming from Iowa, Florida, Nebraska, Utah and even Texas will find that even "average" NJ schools are still really good.

Obviously I think people should go with the best they can find/afford when it comes to choosing a town in regards to schools, but I also wouldn't be breaking the bank just to live in a town that GreatSchools says is an 8 while ignoring a town ranked 6 or 7 that may be more affordable.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 PM

364 posts, read 1,192,519 times
Aancs, have you seen the greatschool.org website? They do provide helpful articles like:
Browse articles | GreatSchools

NGoat has a point, you can't compare school districts straight across because even with standardized testing, the base may be different. But being a parent, I know the desire to get the best rated school for your child you can afford. You could look at parent comments on different school rating websites. I find, however, that on websites online sometimes the parent comments seem completely out of line with the standardized scoring results, but I think that is because it is only the frustrated, disgruntled parents that take the time to post their comments...those that are happy with the school just don't bother.
There is also New Jersey Department of Education | Report Card that you can have a look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia