Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:01 PM

219 posts, read 541,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
You're kidding right?

Ugh, I'm sick of the Jersey attitude. Maybe I need to move to Arizona for a while!
No offense to anyone but when's the last time a stranger in NJ smiled at you? What's the deal with having to be so "tough"? Anyone tried breaking the ice with a jersey girl lately (not in a bar)? The stone cold look of death is so... scary...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 07:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I have the same problem being from Philly both in California and Arizona.
You say something to people and they look at you like you're going to hit them. As for hand jestures they were on the drivers test, weren't they?

Look at all this crap about natanyahu, he grew up outside Philly he is just speaking normally and everyone thinks he's being offensive

PS; The wife and I were arguing about the name of that BIG Japanese Resturant on 130 North of Camden?
We're in AZ, anyone know?
Benihana was at the point of 38 & 70.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
happens to me everyday in SOUTH Jersey... This place is extremely friendly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersied View Post
No offense to anyone but when's the last time a stranger in NJ smiled at you? What's the deal with having to be so "tough"? Anyone tried breaking the ice with a jersey girl lately (not in a bar)? The stone cold look of death is so... scary...

Old 05-22-2011, 08:57 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,347,681 times
Quote:
I've never had a problem.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
In my experience, the people in South Jersey are more friendly and more easy-going than the people in Northeast Jersey.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:42 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,405 times
Growing up in a neutral location (Wilmington,) I can say the difference between Philly and Jersey for me was that there was something snotty about people from Jersey. Never understood why, but just a generally snobby attitude. I felt like they thought they were hot sh|t.

I have yet to see this "Jersey" attitude anywhere outside of Brooklyn. Even in North Jersey I run into a bunch of snobby (yet good looking,) rich white people.

What I definitely don't see is any roughneck attitude (Delaware Co, Fishtown,) outside maybe the Camden hood attitude.. but that isn't unique to New Jersey.

Not that I try to judge (or offend,) but that is what the thread is about.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
PS; The wife and I were arguing about the name of that BIG Japanese Resturant on 130 North of Camden?
We're in AZ, anyone know?
Sagami in Collingswood? It's not that BIG, but it is very popular, especially among Japanese businessman who are in the area. A lot of the guys from the Mitusbishi Fuso HQ in Swedesboro swear it is the most authentic Japanese place they have been to in the states.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Sagami in Collingswood? It's not that BIG, but it is very popular, especially among Japanese businessman who are in the area. A lot of the guys from the Mitusbishi Fuso HQ in Swedesboro swear it is the most authentic Japanese place they have been to in the states.

We have a winner, Sagami was the one we were arguing about. Thank you.
We haven't been there for a decade.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,448 times
Quote:
I'm a gal who grew up in Hawaii where everyone is super friendly. I've tried to apply that "Aloha spirit" here in NJ and it works pretty well. I make it a point to greet people, say hello, make eye contact, etc. Sometimes people are initially surprised but usually acknowledge me with a greeting or smile. My philosophy is to just be super friendly to folks and perhaps that will rub off.

One thing I won't miss though is that attitude when driving. People are just so rude and aggressive. People can be rude anywhere but drivers around here really get on my nerves for some reason.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 PM

267 posts, read 950,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Agreed.

It's really all relative. I lived most of my life in North Jersey and moving here was a refreshing change. By comparison, everyone around here is friendly. Try holding a door for someone in a North Jersey diner and see if you get a "thank you".Now if someone moved here from the midwest or the south, they may feel differently.

I don't think South Jersey has any of the attitude that stereotypical "Jersey" has....like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia