Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 01:28 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
Less desirable....?? I think the area is fine. I live in CH not too far from it so I wouldn't have moved there if I thought otherwise. My daughter's sitter is in Voorhees in the development opposite the front of the mall and it's nice there too.

I think the concept of living near a mall is weird, but like I said, mixing retail with residential units is the hot thing now. I really only threw it out there because the Richwood development seemed at least similar in concept.

Which development is affordable housing there?? There are a few.
Ashland?

Yeah there's some parts of Voorhees that have been considered less than desireable for a very long time. But then, when I first moved to Cherry Hill, in the mid '60s, it wasn't one of the top places to live. You can look at things a lot of ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 05:06 PM

267 posts, read 950,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ashland?
No, Apple Hill.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Less desirable....?? I think the area is fine. I live in CH not too far from it so I wouldn't have moved there if I thought otherwise. My daughter's sitter is in Voorhees in the development opposite the front of the mall and it's nice there too.

I think the concept of living near a mall is weird, but like I said, mixing retail with residential units is the hot thing now. I really only threw it out there because the Richwood development seemed at least similar in concept.

Which development is affordable housing there?? There are a few.
I lived in Ashland area of Voorhees briefly when I moved back from Texas. We were at Robin Hill Apartments. The area is decent, it's just not the "best" section of Voorhees. That doesn't mean it's ghetto, it's just not viewed the same way as say Alluvium or other developments are.

From the Voorhees angle, the biggest drawback is that virtually all of the apartments are in that section and send to that one elementary school. Echelon Glenn and it's various apartments aren't viewed favorably by the locals and I'm sure if you asked here for opinions, most would say they are a little dumpy. As for low income houses, they are spread out in the various townhouse developments that snake their way through the area behind Echelon Glenn.

Again, calling it less desirable doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it's not as desirable as the other sections of Voorhees. A big part of that is the school, that is consistently the lowest rated among all the schools in Voorhees. The Cherry Hill area of Ashland is very different in terms of neighborhoods and schools.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Market rate residential development is pretty much dead across the board right now. The only thing pushing dirt these days are affordable housing projects, thanks to LIH tax credits and all of the ARRA funding.
We still have several traditional non-low income developments going up in Woolwich and one in Logan as well as one in Harrison, but the only thing getting built in some of the other towns like East Greenwich are 55+ senior housing, which I believe qualify for the credits.

Though building has slowed a LOT and some projects haven't moved beyond phase one or two.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 867 times
just an update, they finally posted signs for the Richwood Marketplace about 2 weeks ago. Not sure what that means exactly, or their timeframe, but would assume something is progressing

Old 10-02-2011, 04:59 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I lived in Ashland area of Voorhees briefly when I moved back from Texas. We were at Robin Hill Apartments. The area is decent, it's just not the "best" section of Voorhees. That doesn't mean it's ghetto, it's just not viewed the same way as say Alluvium or other developments are.

From the Voorhees angle, the biggest drawback is that virtually all of the apartments are in that section and send to that one elementary school. Echelon Glenn and it's various apartments aren't viewed favorably by the locals and I'm sure if you asked here for opinions, most would say they are a little dumpy. As for low income houses, they are spread out in the various townhouse developments that snake their way through the area behind Echelon Glenn.

Again, calling it less desirable doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it's not as desirable as the other sections of Voorhees. A big part of that is the school, that is consistently the lowest rated among all the schools in Voorhees. The Cherry Hill area of Ashland is very different in terms of neighborhoods and schools.
Well, I realize this thread is kind of old by this point, but let me give my opinions on various things brought up in this thread:

First, Osage Elementary may be the least ranked school in Voorhees (I really have no idea, I'm deferring to Goat here), but it is still a good school. I went there for three years, and hey, I turned out fine. Several of the "nicer" neighborhoods in the town are zoned to Osage along with the apartment complexes. I'm not sure how to qualify rankings when kids are that young, anyway. I can at least point out that back in the day when I was that age, during our district-wide EP convocations (Enrichment Program) the best projects came from kids who went to Osage. For the Math-24 Challenge, kids from Osage won two, maybe three years in a row. I've said it before, but I think finely ranking elementary schools is pretty pointless.

Second, the Echelon area in general is considered to be the more middle-class/less-nice portion of Voorhees. Voorhees kids occasionally will call it "ghetto" as a pseudo-joke but it really isn't bad at all. The apartment complexes and houses there are home to many new immigrants (usually Asian or Indian) and young families who have just bought their first place.

Finally, I went to the Voorhees Town Center (Echelon Mall) last time I was home, and it really is looking up. A bunch of new food places, stores, and restaurants are opening up. Town Hall just relocated there, which is a huge incentive for positive change in my opinion. I'm pretty sure the Abitare housing does have three-bedroom options, but I'm not positive.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:21 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Well, I realize this thread is kind of old by this point, but let me give my opinions on various things brought up in this thread:

First, Osage Elementary may be the least ranked school in Voorhees (I really have no idea, I'm deferring to Goat here), but it is still a good school. I went there for three years, and hey, I turned out fine. Several of the "nicer" neighborhoods in the town are zoned to Osage along with the apartment complexes. I'm not sure how to qualify rankings when kids are that young, anyway. I can at least point out that back in the day when I was that age, during our district-wide EP convocations (Enrichment Program) the best projects came from kids who went to Osage. For the Math-24 Challenge, kids from Osage won two, maybe three years in a row. I've said it before, but I think finely ranking elementary schools is pretty pointless.

Second, the Echelon area in general is considered to be the more middle-class/less-nice portion of Voorhees. Voorhees kids occasionally will call it "ghetto" as a pseudo-joke but it really isn't bad at all. The apartment complexes and houses there are home to many new immigrants (usually Asian or Indian) and young families who have just bought their first place.

Finally, I went to the Voorhees Town Center (Echelon Mall) last time I was home, and it really is looking up. A bunch of new food places, stores, and restaurants are opening up. Town Hall just relocated there, which is a huge incentive for positive change in my opinion. I'm pretty sure the Abitare housing does have three-bedroom options, but I'm not positive.
School rankings are based on AYP scores, a buy product of the No child left behind program. It's a handy was to get a handle on school quality when moving until 2014, when the whole thing implodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia