Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:11 PM

183 posts, read 1,262,316 times

Advertisements

Cant believe after all these years I would come back to Jersey. Was born and raised in South Jersey and lived most of my adult life in Florida (23 years). My husband and I have 4 children (2 girls in college and 2 younger boys). My husband is taking a job in South Jersey so we are coming back. I am very nervous and I'm starting to have second thoughts. The thought of leaving my girls here and moving so far is making me crazy. I wish we could stay, but the job offer is to good to turn down and Florida is not the best place for great jobs. Dont know what to expect and my kids have never lived in Jersey. Our whole family is still in Jersey so we would have family around except the girls. Looking for some encouraging words and reassurance from those who have gone through what we are about to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 06:58 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,736,228 times
Your girls are only a plane ride away. (A friend of mine used the Atlantic City airport to fly to Florida.)

Nothing is etched in stone and you can always return to Florida, if it doesn't work out for you here.

Welcome back!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 PM

267 posts, read 949,022 times
Welcome back to the party!

What part of FL are you moving from? How old are the boys?

Old 06-03-2011, 05:22 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,828,236 times
congrats!!!! You will see how much you really miss the 4 seasons once you have em back too What part of South Jersey are you guys looking to come back to??? About your girls.. Maybe they will come up and live up here after graduation? There are more jobs up here for sure.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks Everyone! Im trying to keep happy thoughts about the move. We are looking in Gloucester County. My one son is starting the 4th grade and the other kindergarten. My family is so happy to have us back. We are going to give it time to see if we can adjust, if not, we can always move back to Florida.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:03 AM

invertigo:
We are coming from Central Florida outside of Orlando. We live in a very nice town with a great school system. I will miss that as well.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:19 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,574,370 times
When it comes to school systems, I doubt you will be disappointed in the quality of NJ schools. Depending on where you are looking in Gloucester County and your budget, I would suggest checking out Washington Twp., Harrison Twp., Pitman, Logan Twp. and Woolwich Twp.

If you have some more specific desires in a town and a budget (house price and annual taxes) we could give you some more direct recommendations on towns and areas.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:31 AM

267 posts, read 949,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4 View Post
invertigo:
We are coming from Central Florida outside of Orlando. We live in a very nice town with a great school system. I will miss that as well.
Well...we have nice towns and great school systems too, just no Disney! If you have family here, that should make the transition much easier. A move will stress out your fourth grader more, but he will hopefully adjust. I'm sure your college girls will be busy enough so they will be fine. With texting, wireless internet, etc these days, how disconnected are we really?

Like you said, you can always move back. Jobs can be replaced if need be.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:37 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. We are looking in Mantua & Wenonah.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 AM

364 posts, read 1,190,124 times
I have one going into grade 7 and it is terrifying knowing that sooner than I think he will be living independently without my help. But if you have raised them well, your girls will spread their wings and fly just fine without you being right there beside them. It's very possible that if you had been living in S. Jersey in the first place they may have opted to go to College out of state anyway.
We are coming from Canada and from what I have seen of Southern NJ so far, I think we will be very happy there, and I am sure you will be, too, particularly since it is 'returning home' for you. Best of luck with your move and your children's adjustments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia