Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 10:42 AM

267 posts, read 950,380 times

Advertisements

What?? Not one storm thread?! So how did everyone make out in this hurricane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 03:10 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
up all night on guard duty and tending to a slight basement wall water leak.. I hope everyone did as well as us

Old 08-28-2011, 04:05 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Default Could be better...or worse~

Peddie Lake
Attached Thumbnails
Irene-downtown-flood.jpg  

Old 08-28-2011, 05:00 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Peddie Lake
WOW! That is quite a flood!

Just got power restored (after 20 hours w/o), thank you PSE&G

Up all night feeding a generator that kept our basement sump going.

Helped a couple of neighbours cut up some large trees that fell this afternoon in the winds.

It was not too pleasant but could have been a lot worse!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:40 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
What?? Not one storm thread?! So how did everyone make out in this hurricane?
I guess because there is one on the main NJ board.

My power went out early in the storm. Limbs the size of trees dropped in my yard. At three in the morning with an axe, hoe and shovel, my son dug trenches from our flooding side yard so that the water would drain to the street. All in all, a typical day in New Jersey.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Amazingly well. Never lost power, it didn't even blink. My cable went out a couple times overnight, but came back quickly. House stayed high and dry and nothing but small twigs and branches in the yard. There are woods behind my house with a walking path and a couple trees did fall back there and blocked the bridge over the path, but that was about it and that's the association/townships problem.

Probably the scariest moment was the tornado warnings. They had one projected straight at our development, so we gathered everyone up and rode out the warning in the powder room (only room without windows on the first floor), lol.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:05 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Up all night feeding a generator that kept our basement sump going.
What type of generator do you have? I was thinking of getting one SOLEY for my sump pump. (and maybe fridge) I can get by with candles and flash lights for the other stuff in the house.

Trying to get one that is low cost. (since item may be never used, hopefully)

Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
What type of generator do you have? I was thinking of getting one SOLEY for my sump pump. (and maybe fridge) I can get by with candles and flash lights for the other stuff in the house.

We borrowed this one from the office-
Honda EU1000i Generator Pricing WiseSales.com

It is very small, quiet and 1 person portable. We had the sump pump and the back up plugged into it and it chugged away for the 20+ hours we were without power.

At one point on Sunday morning we unplugged both pumps and plugged in the coffee maker. This machine was not powerful enough to run a coffee maker!

It did keep our basement dry tho Got coffee at a local diner!

We all have sump pumps in this neighbourhood. Those without backup pumps had water almost immediately and those with sumps and backups started flooding anywhere from 12-15 hours later.

We are in the market for a more powerful generator! But that little Honda saved us this time!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM

267 posts, read 950,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

I am actually in need of the same. I only care about keeping that sump pump going. I was a dead man if the power failed. By some miracle, it flickered only and stayed on through the storm. I've never heard water rush into the hole like during this storm. My pump kicked on every 60 seconds for two days straight. Crazy.

Generators seem to run anywhere from 300$ to like 4k!

Saturday night was a little freaky with all of the tornado warnings that were springing up. The wind seemed to be worse on Sunday though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia