U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM

79 posts, read 473,591 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with thses areas? I have been researching on towns, in which I would liked to moved to with my family....One town I have in mind is Williamstown- great town-high taxes.

My husband works in Paulsboro and one night he drove through Swedeboro area and found it to be nice. We since drove around the town and all the near towns, but wanted to hear from actual homeowners and what they thought about the schools districts. And about the taxes.

Any info will be greatly apppreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 01:11 PM

18 posts, read 68,303 times
Default I am right with you...

I currently live in Wash Twp and we also have our home up for sale. We have been considered the same areas as you. I have ruled out Williamstown due to high taxes and so-so school system. Mullica Hill is number one on my list right now. Still close enough to use Wash Twp stores/shops but not live in the congestion. Mullica Hill school system is very good. Pleasant Valley is Blue Ribbon Award winner! Taxes are high (not as high as Wash Twp if you buy a resale/older home). Try and find a home in the quadrant that is near Barnsboro road ( near Rowan).....that way you could use back roads and avoid 322/Rt45 traffic. That is the scoop I got from people living there!

Swedesboro. Really good prices on homes (so many for sale). Much lower taxes. But....seems like many people are unhappy in the area about the slow progress of stores/construction etc. If you like lots of open spaces and won't miss the convenience of stores and shops right at your finger tips then Swedesboro is good. It is ranked second for me after Mullica Hill. That is what I found out by talking with people in the neighborhoods.

Good luck with your search and feel free to send me a PM with any other questions. We are probably neighbors now .

Old 08-20-2007, 01:18 PM

119 posts, read 327,022 times
I student taught at Walter Hill Elementary School in Swedesboro. There are a lot of great teachers there and I would have no problem sending my own son to school there. There is a new principal there this year, so I know nothing about her, but the Director of Curriculum for the district was my mentor teacher when I was there and she is top-notch. If we could afford to move back to NJ I would most definitely look into the Swedesboro area. Hope this helps!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,788 times
Default try mullica hill

Mullica Hill in next to Swedesboro. I was going to purchase in swedesboro before I saw mullica hill. Just moved into new development in mullica hill There are several complexes going up and the schools are slightly better than swedesboro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown29 View Post
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with thses areas? I have been researching on towns, in which I would liked to moved to with my family....One town I have in mind is Williamstown- great town-high taxes.

My husband works in Paulsboro and one night he drove through Swedeboro area and found it to be nice. We since drove around the town and all the near towns, but wanted to hear from actual homeowners and what they thought about the schools districts. And about the taxes.

Any info will be greatly apppreciated.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:18 PM

79 posts, read 473,591 times
newmommy-

Do you like Mullica Hill better than Swedesboro? Do you find all the stores to be closer to you than Swedesboro? Honestly, both towns are nice....but I need to do more research on schools.
What development did you buy in?

Living in Washington twp. and schools are congested and taxes are high....would like to live in a town with great schools and homes, with low taxes...is that possible? HMMMM

Old 07-08-2008, 09:01 PM

29 posts, read 62,392 times
Woolwich is a great area! We love it (SJ natives)! Lots of school age children, community events and hard-working people. The area that people seem most fond of is Lexington Hill & High Hill Estates. Nice amount of property (1/4 - 1/2 acre) with a decent size home 2750-3000sqft. The bonus would be a lot of the "extra" work is done for you..... sheds, lighting, sprinklers, hardscape, etc. That is the stuff you want done but with new homes - you get to do it all . (wish we had done that!) Hope it helps - Good luck in your searching!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 PM

200 posts, read 945,526 times
We were looking there a few years back in the same area, the taxes were INSANE! Like 15,000 a year on a $400,000 home. I stayed where I was.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:57 AM

222 posts, read 958,564 times
We're in Woolwich, 2700 square foot home on 15000 square foot lot, around $350k if we wanted to sell now. Taxes are $7300.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:54 PM

200 posts, read 945,526 times
The problem is that the new homes were assessed at 100% of the sale price so that is why it was so high.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,924 times
I just spoke with the tax officer. The majority of the taxes go to the schools. The more residents, the more kids, the more schools, the more the taxes. Its' just me and my wife, 2 professional incomes, and we just about make ends meet. We couldn't afford to have kids and drop down to 1 income...not in Woolwich. We need to slow residential growth, and let commercial growth catch up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia