Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 PM

274 posts, read 855,599 times

Advertisements

I'll need to get to the PHL airport from Haddonfield in order to catch a red-eye flight on December 30. What would be the best (ie, the CHEAPEST) way to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 10:23 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
well PATCO (light rail) into Philly

is there a SEPTA line to the airport? not sure. i usually drive

Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
well PATCO (light rail) into Philly

is there a SEPTA line to the airport? not sure. i usually drive
PATCO is not light rail. If you take PATCO to 8th & Market & the Market Frankford subway to 30th St, a rail line goes from there to PHL.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:43 AM

212 posts, read 610,754 times
Might be worth checking out
Colonail Transport, Inc - Shuttle Services Page

Old 11-15-2011, 05:28 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I drive, then park at Winner Airport Parking. It's part of a new car dealership about 5-10 minutes from the airport. You drive there, then a driver takes you to the airport in your own car, and picks you up in your own car. For an extra $10, you can abandon the driver at the airport rather than drive back to the dealership. I can't remember the parking rate, but it's cheaper than parking at the airport or taking a car service. You can also get your car detailed, oil changes, etc while you're gone. The whole transaction takes about 5 minutes once you get there if you've booked online. It is open 24 hours.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I drive, then park at Winner Airport Parking. It's part of a new car dealership about 5-10 minutes from the airport. You drive there, then a driver takes you to the airport in your own car, and picks you up in your own car. For an extra $10, you can abandon the driver at the airport rather than drive back to the dealership. I can't remember the parking rate, but it's cheaper than parking at the airport or taking a car service. You can also get your car detailed, oil changes, etc while you're gone. The whole transaction takes about 5 minutes once you get there if you've booked online. It is open 24 hours.
The last few times I flew this is what I did. The rate is about $10.99 per day, but they have discounts and coupons available on their site.

Philadelphia Airport Parking Rates - Winner Airport Parking in Philadelphia

Overall it was cheaper than a car service short term, but the car/shuttle service is still the better/cheaper bet for a long term situation.

The train is doable, but a total hassle coming from NJ since you need to make 2 transfers and are at the mercy of the train schedules aligning to make it smooth. I know people who have done it before and swore to never do it again.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 AM

283 posts, read 607,432 times
Get a ride if you don't want to pay to park. Preflight is about $9 a day. You can also do PATCO to 8th Street, Walk to Market East and catch the R1, but I did that once and only once. It takes forever (like an hour).

Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 PM

274 posts, read 855,599 times
To give more details, I live in FL and I'm flying back at 6:15 AM. I don't have a car up here, so the parking won't work out for me .

Does PATCO run reliably at 3:30/4 AM?

I was quoted $26 for a shuttle through Rapid Rover. Does anyone know if they're reliable?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:51 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Honestly I'd be nervous taking public transportation at 3-4 am, even in the "safe" areas, and to me it'd be a pain to carry my luggage on trains and through the stations (heck, I'd need a mule!). Add to that Dec 30, it's going to be freezing cold, and I would do the car service! You'll be standing outside in Haddonfield waiting for Patco, and that time of night it could be up to 20 minutes or so, and you'll be the only one there (which I would find scary). Rapid Rover has been around forever, so I assume they are reliable or they wouldn't be in business, but if you're worried about it just reserve a little earlier than you want to get there. If it were me, I would get online reviews for a few services and call for prices from that, since you have some time. I don't think it should be that much from Haddonfield.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:54 AM

283 posts, read 607,432 times
Go rapid rover. That's a good quote. The PATCO and R1 transfer is going to run you about $13 anyway and it will be infinitely more annoying. Why risk missing your flight, standing in the cold, lugging crap around, just to save $10?

I agree that you shouldn't take PATCO transportation at 3:30-4 in the AM. Even if you make it to the city, the R1 may not be running, have a long transfer, and make you miss your flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia