Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 3,395 times

Advertisements

Although husband is already in philly, I will be responsible for finding our family home. Because I am an atty and not licensed in PA or NJ it is not practical for me to move sooner than Fall 2013. But this should give me plenty of time to find the right place. I like intown living, but I also like good sized homes, backyards and garages. Would prefer an older home with new interior. Neighborhood with restaurants, parks, walk to schools, cultural attractions, strong neighborhood associations. Thanks for the help in advance.

When are you moving? Fall 2013 (I know I'm early, I'd like time to visit and make the best decision)
Where are you coming from? Atlanta
Why are you moving? Husband job transferred to philly
Where will you be working? Atty keeping office in Atlanta - need to commute back and forth maybe 3-4 times a month
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent at first then buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Renting a house - Up to 3K
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Married Do you have children? 2 boys will be 10 and 7.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? cat
Do you want or need a yard? Would love a yard
Are you keeping a car? 2 would like garage
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? From NYC would prefer city or just outside. Or close enough to walk to restaurants and attractions

What do you want to be closest to? Easy commute for husband. Non-traditional work hours so 9-5 rush hours not significant. Easy commute to an airport.
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? DIVERSE (not college students); would love artistic, cultural.

Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi when I drank soda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,777,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarogers View Post
Although husband is already in philly, I will be responsible for finding our family home. Because I am an atty and not licensed in PA or NJ it is not practical for me to move sooner than Fall 2013. But this should give me plenty of time to find the right place. I like intown living, but I also like good sized homes, backyards and garages. Would prefer an older home with new interior. Neighborhood with restaurants, parks, walk to schools, cultural attractions, strong neighborhood associations. Thanks for the help in advance.

When are you moving? Fall 2013 (I know I'm early, I'd like time to visit and make the best decision)
Where are you coming from? Atlanta
Why are you moving? Husband job transferred to philly
Where will you be working? Atty keeping office in Atlanta - need to commute back and forth maybe 3-4 times a month
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent at first then buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Renting a house - Up to 3K
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Married Do you have children? 2 boys will be 10 and 7.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? cat
Do you want or need a yard? Would love a yard
Are you keeping a car? 2 would like garage
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? From NYC would prefer city or just outside. Or close enough to walk to restaurants and attractions

What do you want to be closest to? Easy commute for husband. Non-traditional work hours so 9-5 rush hours not significant. Easy commute to an airport.
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? DIVERSE (not college students); would love artistic, cultural.

Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi when I drank soda.
Haddonfield for both rental & your later purchase.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:46 AM

128 posts, read 356,064 times
Default Possible Choices

For what you are looking for, it sounds like Haddonfield or Moorestown would be your best bets. These both offer older home, most which have been redone on the inside, and really cute downtown areas (think Main Street America), with good restaurants and some boutique shopping. These are in close proximity to Philly.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:54 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,777,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcost$$ View Post
For what you are looking for, it sounds like Haddonfield or Moorestown would be your best bets. These both offer older home, most which have been redone on the inside, and really cute downtown areas (think Main Street America), with good restaurants and some boutique shopping. These are in close proximity to Philly.
Haddonfield trumps Moorestown for this poster. It has a PATCO station into Center City & is closer to PHL for trips to ATL, if she drives to the airport, but if she has little luggage, she can take PATCO & transfer in town to get to PHL.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:27 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,923,019 times
bingo.. Excellent advise. Its in NJ and a beautiful old town with everything you want and excellent public schools. Here is a website on it..

Haddonfieldnj.org - A website all about Haddonfield, New Jersey, featuring updates on Haddonfield events and happenings as well as important community information.

here are some pictures of the town

https://www.google.com/search?q=hadd...w=1280&bih=600

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Haddonfield for both rental & your later purchase.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:08 PM

283 posts, read 608,613 times
Regarding taking PATCO to the airport, that is a mess. You're talking an hour just to get to the airport. Driving wise you're close - no more than 25-30 minutes to the airport. PATCO to the R1 takes well over an hour door to door. Not worth it! If you guys can afford Haddonfield, catch a car service or park at the airport!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:43 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,796,988 times
I concur with Haddonfield and Moorestown. The OP mentioned wanting "strong neighborhood associations". I took that as being a HOA, which seems a pretty decent bet since they are coming from the Atlanta area. I would just want to point out that finding a HOA is difficult in South Jersey and finding a "strong" one is even more difficult than that. For that reason, I think Moorestown and Haddonfield are pretty much the best options. While those towns don't have HOA's, the town ordinances and their enforcement are pretty much akin to living in a HOA.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 AM

364 posts, read 1,194,708 times
There are HOAs all over this area, atleast there seems to be since every house we looked at buying had a HOA fee. But the last HOA meeting I attended (Mt. Laurel) only about 6 people showed up. I guess there is no way of finding a tight-nit neighborhood without really asking around, talking to the neighbors, which seems to be really hard these days - no one is ever around. Haddonfield does seem to have that vibe on the surface, though.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,799,554 times
One more consideration........ All the bridges between the two states collect tolls in one direction only..... west into PA. They all charge 5.00 per trip except the Tycony-Palmyra which only charges 2.00. It is slightly north of Center City (closer to Moorstown and Burlington County)
Savings of 780.00 per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia