Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

I really don't know what I think of the merger, I suppose in some ways it makes sense, but it would seem to drive an even further wedge between North and South Jersey.
Maybe Chris Christie has a secret agenda to have keep South Jersey isolated from shared resources with the rest of the state.

Quote:
The one idea that I like that someone proposed is the formation of "UNJ or the University of New Jersey". Take; Rutgers, Rowan, UMDNJ, NJIT, College of NJ, Kean, Montclair, Jersey City, Ramapo, Thomas Edison, Stockton and William Paterson...role them all into the UNJ system. Then just rename them all UNJ-New Brunswick, UNJ-Glassboro, UNJ-Pomona, etc. Or, you could keep the old school names to let them still have some recognition; UNJ-Rutgers, UNJ-Livingston, UNJ-Rowan, UNJ-Stockton, etc.
Now that's something I can agree on. Having most of the schools be part of the University of New Jersey brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 12:23 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,935,674 times
I'd set up a four tier system with RU-NB, Douglass College and NJIT as the tier 1 schools. Limit enrollment and recruit the best HS students in North America and all of the remaining developed countries. I would label these as my public ivies.

The second tier would include RU-Camden and RU-Newark. Change their names to UNJ-Camden and UNJ-Newark, respectively. Toss in the College of New Jersey. These three schools would function as the large state universities, similar to Penn State, Ohio State and University of Maryland College Park. The large enrollment of both undergrad/grad students at and infusions of capitol to each campus would generate economic redevelopment in Camden, Newark and Trenton.

The third tier would consist of William Paterson, Richard Stockton, William Livingston, Montclair, Rowan, etc. These schools would operate as liberal art colleges with no post-graduate programs.

The fourth tier would include everything else, which generally means schools with minimal barriers to admittance.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:24 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
They should just go all the way and separate SJ into its own state or it merges with Delaware to keep it at 50 US. The Delaware capital could be Wilmington to be more central for existing DE and SJ. SJ is anyways distinctly tied to Philadelphia, while the rest of the state with New York. Atleast we might get lower taxes that way.
I actually would supports that if South Jersey residents were able to vote for succession. I really believe more than half of all South Jersey residents would vote yes for succession.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I actually would supports that if South Jersey residents were able to vote for succession. I really believe more than half of all South Jersey residents would vote yes for succession.
I was ready to vote for secession the last time & the rest of my family was too. The question was removed from our ballots by the state.

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-26-2012 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-26-2012, 03:04 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
I love South Jersey but I don't know if it could be a self-sustainable state, especially with the responsibility of taking care of Camden and AC.

Now, a state of Philadelphia, comprising South Jersey, southeast PA, and northern DE, is something I would vote for.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
As it is already, a Rutgers MBA from Camden isn't the same as the Rutgers MBA from Newark/New Brunswick. Different programs.

I'm not sure about the law programs.

At the undergrad level, Rutgers-NB is more difficult to get into than the Rutgers-Camden program.

AFAIK, it's a bigger difference than the difference in undergrad degrees (atleast the science ones) between UM College Park and UMBC.
The law programs are distinct. RU-N primarily feeds into North Jersey/NYC, while RU-C is a pipeline for Southeastern PA/South Jersey/Northern DE. Both campuses place an approximately equal number of grads in greater Trenton/state government. Like most law schools outside the T14, the Rutgers schools are overwhelmingly regional. It's rare for a graduate from either campus to get, much less seek, their first legal jobs outside the tri-state area. Since local employers know the score, changing the name of the law school won't mean very much, if anything at all. As for other programs, I'm not sure.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I love South Jersey but I don't know if it could be a self-sustainable state, especially with the responsibility of taking care of Camden and AC.
This. Central/North Jersey's markedly higher concentration of wealth greatly helps the rest of the state.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:59 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
i lost my diploma from rutgers camden undergrad - i'm gonna request one.
i know it doesn't matter, but i'll feel better ; )

i feel bad for the law students

i know it disrespects Rowan, but where's the storied program?

Last edited by john_starks; 01-26-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
This. Central/North Jersey's markedly higher concentration of wealth greatly helps the rest of the state.
seriously, besides AC, Cape May and Burlington/Camden Co. its a sad state of affairs

Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i feel bad for the law students
As I said before, it probably won't hurt the law students a lick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia