Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times

Advertisements

Just on the topic of Cherry Hill vs. Haddon Twp., I think it would really come down to which district is going to offer you the best program for your situation.

Haddon Township has a consistently well ranked/regarded school system, maybe a notch below Cherry Hill, but not bad in the least. Additionally, you sound like someone who wants to be involved in the town/school and you may find that much easier and more accessible in Haddon Twp. do to its smaller size. For instance, Haddon Township High School has 650 kids in the entire school, or roughly 160 kids per class. Compare that to Cherry Hill East with around 2,000 kids which means around 500 per class. Huge difference in scope. That size differential may also impact your decision given your individual needs.

The fact the house is cheaper is just icing on the cake. Here are some people to contact at Haddon Twp. to have some questions answered (disclosure, my mom has worked in Haddon Twp. school system for over 25 years):

Wendie Anderson has been the secretary of the Special Education / Child Study Team at Haddon Twp. High School for many years. She would be a great person to call and ask for some direction on whom you could speak with. The main number is 856-869-7750, then enter her extension 7313. Her partner in the office is Eileen Sauls and you can reach her at extension 7314. The school psychologist is Kelly Kern and her extension is 7177.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,747 times
Point of Woods on CH's east side will fit all of your needs. The community is exceptionally diverse for CH and the elementary school (Cooper) was apparently the first Blue Ribbon school in CH. I'm not sure of your price range, but I believe most of the home are priced under $300k. The area is absolutely not "snootie." From my observation, CH runs the gamut from low socioeconomic status (SES) to high SES.

Haddon Township is much more homogenous than CH. I think the community is predominantly Caucasian, but you can look up the demographics. I find the housing product and the plots of land in Haddon Township to be less desirable than the affordable parts of of CH. The advantage to Haddon Township is the smaller school district.

Good luck

Old 02-17-2012, 07:44 AM

212 posts, read 610,560 times
For Cherry Hill you may want to contact the Special Ed PTA. There may be parents involved that can answer some of your questions from their point of view (vs. the school district). Home Page

For Haddon Township, there's an organization that may help you out as well that has parents involved. Home - Special Parents of Haddon Township

Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 AM

21 posts, read 53,561 times
Thank you!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
Haddon Township has some beautiful areas like Westmont near the Cooper River, and the Newton Lake area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia