Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
really? LOL.. You do know very little don't you? Is that what someone told you ?? When was the last time you actually spent a week there?
What's trashier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
What's trashier?
Depends on what you're comparing them against. Let's say, Camden? IMO, Camden is "trashier" than both Atlantic City and Wildwood.

And trashiness in both places depends in which part of town. Wildwood has three main sections, North Wildwood, Wildwood (central) and South Wildwood. North and South are pretty nice and central (where the piers are) are trashier than north and south but not really that trashy and nowhere trashy than it was in 1989. The beach isn't trashy at all.

Furthermore, in the last 10 yrs, Wildwood has torn down alot of trashy buildings and built condos. IMO, they should have kept many of their Victorians and mid-century hotels/motels but they're gone now, so . . . whatever.

The new condos (and there's a surplus now which tells you how many there are) are not trashy.

Atlantic City used to have a really trashy beach but it looked pretty good last time I was there (last Fall) but still not as nice as Wildwood's beach.
North part of the city still looks a little rundown but the area of the new Convention Center has some pretty nice shops and places to stroll.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Wildwood Crest is nice.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I never even heard of Seaside until the show came out, but Wildwood pretty much had the same reputation growing up.

As for #1 family vacation spot, that has to be Ocean City without a doubt, especially if you have youngsters.

Actually, Wildwood attracts way more families every year then OC. Its not even close actually.WW gets 9 million every summer and OC gets *maybe* about 1/2 to 2/3 of that number

Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I don't understand the Wildwood hate. I know quite a few rather wealthy people who own homes and vacation there, people that could easily swing places like OC or LBI. It definitely had a worse rep 10-15 years ago, but has been pretty well turned around. The rumor mill is that the "element" in Wildwood may have ended up in OC. I have to say, the last few times I took the family to OC it wasn't exactly the great "family" boardwalk it had traditionally been.

No matter how you slice it though, all the shore towns attract their own unique rabble and issues, none of them are free of that. A drunk guy puking in the street is a drunk guy puking in the street; whether he's wearing an Ed Hardy shirt and driving a Bentley in LBI or wearing an Old Navy shirt and driving a Corvette in Wildwood.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't understand the Wildwood hate. I know quite a few rather wealthy people who own homes and vacation there, people that could easily swing places like OC or LBI. It definitely had a worse rep 10-15 years ago, but has been pretty well turned around. The rumor mill is that the "element" in Wildwood may have ended up in OC. I have to say, the last few times I took the family to OC it wasn't exactly the great "family" boardwalk it had traditionally been.

No matter how you slice it though, all the shore towns attract their own unique rabble and issues, none of them are free of that. A drunk guy puking in the street is a drunk guy puking in the street; whether he's wearing an Ed Hardy shirt and driving a Bentley in LBI or wearing an Old Navy shirt and driving a Corvette in Wildwood.
Ocean City is fine. It helps a LOT that it's a dry town.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
...a dry town ringed with wholesale liquor stores.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
...a dry town ringed with wholesale liquor stores.
The point is that you can't very easily go to a bar, get trashed, and stumble drunken and disorderly on the boardwalk.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The point is that you can't very easily go to a bar, get trashed, and stumble drunken and disorderly on the boardwalk.
No, you can't, but I remember the big hit on Wildwood being the groups of teens that "ran the boardwalk", not necessarily the people getting smashed in bars, which is just as common an occurrence in many of the ritzier shore towns like LBI.

The last few times I was on the boardwalk in OC, it felt very un-family friendly and there were plenty of teens running amok, getting into fights, etc. Not to mention the legions of rather rude and indifferent people. It was not the OC I remembered growing up. Probably one of the low points was stopping to use a public restroom and having to explain to my then 4 year old son why there were two boys (seriously, boys around 14) making out and groping each other next to the sinks.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Do you think that that stops people from bringing their own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia