Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Does the Maple Shade BJ's have a similar setup? I've never been and I didn't even know there was a BJ's in Maple Shade. There's no way the Acme in the "old" part of Maple Shade won't close sometime soon, especially since the company was just sold again for the third time in the past 13 years. But I look forward to it closing because then the "Good Spirits" liquor store almost next door will probably move to the Acme space.
The BJ's in Maple Shade is up Kings Highway. It's very close to Cherry Hill.

That Acme might close. I wonder if either the Acme/Lenola Rd. (Moorestown) or ShopRite/East Gate Sq. will close with a super Wal-Mart on 73.

Last edited by avg12; 01-29-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM

161 posts, read 344,487 times
If anything, I think the Moorestown Kmart is done for after Walmart opens up. Pretty sad since it is one of the last ones around. They never invested the money to really upgrade that store properly in my opinion.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
If anything, I think the Moorestown Kmart is done for after Walmart opens up. Pretty sad since it is one of the last ones around. They never invested the money to really upgrade that store properly in my opinion.

Yea I agree. I will miss K mart. Many childhood memories at the Feasterville pa one..

Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I think it may be fine given that it's on 38, and Wal-Mart will be on 73, and traffic patterns are different. The Target up on 38 is far enough away to not make a significant dent to it either, and all three discount stores have enough differentiation in products. The Kmart is positioned in a plaza with Marshall's and HomeGoods, and Dollar Tree which fit in with the budget theme, and it's across the popular Moorestown Mall.

For groceries, people might be more price driven, and there might be less differentiation. I can't comment on the quality of that Acme's meat and produce though. But, it's Acme selling household products almost twice the price which is out of line but maybe Moorestown will continue to support that, like Haddonfield supports its Acme for convenience.

Lately, Wal-Mart has been pushing this grocery theme locally and some of the commercials (all with the KT Tunstall's Suddenly I See) on the Philly stations are showing SuperCenters in the background, and comparing food items with Acme (among others) pricing.

Last edited by avg12; 01-29-2013 at 12:55 PM..

Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM

184 posts, read 370,253 times
Quote:
If I recall correctly, the liquor is not separate at the BJ's Maple Shade.
this is correct

Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 PM

161 posts, read 344,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
That area is lower income than the east side of Cherry Hill, and it's close to 130 (thus the Cinnaminson store). I can't tell if there is adequate space in that plaza for Sam's.

Wal-Mart hasn't beautified the exterior of that store there yet, with the softer earthy colors and the logo, and it's still the old logo in all caps, WAL*MART.
I did some more "investigating" into that center and I found its listing on Vornado Retail, which I believe owns the center. Cherry Hill, NJ - Vornado Retail (VNO): Property Profile, Lease, Retail, Parking, Business, Floorplan, Tenant, Space, Manhattan, Malls

According to the information on their site and the PDF, it appears there is a proposed expansion of the Wal-Mart from the current 142k sq ft to 177k sq ft. Additionally, it appears they would "annex" three adjacent non-connected vacant stores. It is not mentioned, but it seems like they would be demolished in order to accommodate additional parking and traffic flow judging by the drawings.

I would assume this proposed expansion would turn the Wal-Mart into a Supercenter. It would be interesting if they could make it work, because I recall some type of statements back when the store was first announced stating that the site was not big enough for a Supercenter. Who knows what will happen though, because this PDF seems to list a Wawa Gas station as definite (not proposed) and does not list the proposed stand-alone retail addition that the other PDF for the site depicted.

Last edited by CH101; 01-29-2013 at 05:14 PM..

Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Expanding for a SuperCenter there makes more sense. I wonder how Wal-Mart would do it. Would they do what ShopRite (of Marlton) and to a lesser extent, Whole Foods in Marlton, did where the store was a mess during expansion/renovation? Most of the Wal-Mart SuperCenters I have seen open involved Wal-Mart moving from one address to another, to minimize disruption, but leaving behind a former store.

Anyways, I think that would be the nail in the coffin to put the CH Pathmark out of business, and A&P out of SW NJ. I'd miss the variety of stores though.

The former Rickels space between the Big Lots and K&G Fashion Superstore has been vacant since 1996. It has to be one of Cherry Hill's longest lasting unoccupied retail space. Any ones older?

Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 PM

In Marlton, there is a new restaurant being built in the Tri Towne Plaza shopping center, between the former Superfresh and Sears Essentials. The shopping center in that spot is undergoing a facelift. Also, The Superfresh oval (name) was taken down from the former Superfresh store.

It's weird in Cherry Hill, the Oskar Huber and Floors USA former stores still have the names up. Oskar Huber went completely bankrupt but then re-opened 2 stores but not in CH. Floors USA still has a showroom in King of Prussia, PA.These chains are still operating in other towns, so it's weird that they are fine with their banners showing as if they are still operating in CH.

I've mentioned that site could do well as a Sam's Club, or a Bottom Dollar Food and Dollar Tree combination. The latter would fit in well with Planet Fitness, a budget gym.

Aldi seems to be coming along and will open across of Staples.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 PM

421 posts, read 834,220 times
I just solved the "puzzle" that is Marlton retail:

1. The AMC should move to where the Regal cinema was in Pennsauken.

2. The Barnes & Noble in Marlton should move to the former AMC site, perhaps demolishing the AMC building.

3. The current Barnes & Noble should become a Golf Galaxy.

4. The Whole Foods in Marlton should move to the former Genuardi's in Marlton.

5. The Staples in Marlton should move to the current Whole Foods space.

6. Planet Fitness should move to the current Staples space.

7. The Ace Hardware in Cherry Hill (near the old Clover/Oskar Huber) should move to the space currently occupied by Planet Fitness, since it already was a Sears Hardware.

8. The Spirit Shop (a liquor store next to the current Ace Hardware) should move to where Ace currently is.

9. Kohl's should move to the old Clover/Oskar Huber building.

10. Walmart should put a Supercenter in the current Kohl's/ShopRite spaces.

11. The current Walmart should become a ShopRite, perhaps with a Starbucks to make up for the loss of the Genuardi's Starbucks. Or maybe a new Barnes & Noble could have a "real" Starbucks and not the limited version the current B&N has.

12. Last I heard Annie Sez was going out of business, so their Marlton store should become a replacement Jo-Ann Fabrics for the ancient one nearby.

13. The current Jo-Ann Fabrics should become a Tuesday Morning.

14. I wish a pet store hadn't taken the former Eckerd/Rite Aid next to Whole Foods, because a replacement for the Canal's liquor store at 70 and 73 (the one across from Kohl's, NOT behind Kohl's) would do well there.

15. The former Kmart/Sears Essentials in Marlton should become a Hobby Lobby.

16. The former A&P/Super Fresh in Marlton should become a Big Lots.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I just solved the "puzzle" that is Marlton retail:

1. The AMC should move to where the Regal cinema was in Pennsauken.

It's a good location for AMC and AMC is doing renovations on the site (atleast exterior-hopefully interior as well). So, it won't happen. The Chinese owning AMC appears committed to keeping the Marlton location

2. The Barnes & Noble in Marlton should move to the former AMC site, perhaps demolishing the AMC building.

I don't see B&N relocating anywhere. B&N mentioned the possibility of national store reduction however. Somehow if it were to happen in SJ, I'm not sure which one Cherry Hill, East Gate or Marlton would close, but it seems like a lot of store coverage in one area given the recent trends for e-readers over actual stores, Amazon/ebay, B&N's comments about store reductions, and likely too many freeloaders just using the cafes to study and not buy anything. My guess is Cherry Hill as the space could be re-leased very quickly, thus it could get out of it's lease if it's long term.

3. The current Barnes & Noble should become a Golf Galaxy.

4. The Whole Foods in Marlton should move to the former Genuardi's in Marlton.
Why? To alienate the people that live close to the current one. It's not Wal-Mart here, where Wal-Mart expects people have no other choice and is fine destroying economies of areas. Also, this location is above the 70/73 interchange -imo a better location near the hotels and closer to Mt.Laurel

5. The Staples in Marlton should move to the current Whole Foods space.
Not making any sense here. Aldi is opening in the center as well. It's a great site for Staples.

6. Planet Fitness should move to the current Staples space.

7. The Ace Hardware in Cherry Hill (near the old Clover/Oskar Huber) should move to the space currently occupied by Planet Fitness, since it already was a Sears Hardware.
Too much space for Ace.

8. The Spirit Shop (a liquor store next to the current Ace Hardware) should move to where Ace currently is.

9. Kohl's should move to the old Clover/Oskar Huber building.
Kohl's had that choice when Clover and Bradlees closed, and made the better choice, that is being next to ShopRite in Marlton.

10. Walmart should put a Supercenter in the current Kohl's/ShopRite spaces.

This center is very successful with it's anchors. Should ShopRite just donate all it's profits to Wal-Mart in your scenario?

11. The current Walmart should become a ShopRite, perhaps with a Starbucks to make up for the loss of the Genuardi's Starbucks. Or maybe a new Barnes & Noble could have a "real" Starbucks and not the limited version the current B&N has.

Barnes & Noble's has a cafe serving Starbucks coffee. The cafe isn't branded as Starbucks. This is consistent with all their stores. The area where Starbucks lacks coverage is around the Moorestown Mall/East Gate Square although the B&N serves Starbucks coffee. Starbucks did open a new location by Greyhound, a relief for the stranded Greyhound bus travelers.
Please see italics.

It's Kobe Grill that is opening up in the Tri Towne Plaza, between the vacant Sears/Kmart and vacant Superfresh.

Maybe that plaza could be low key, with either LA Fitness or Future Fitness, a standalone Walgreens or super Wawa (preference for Walgreens), and smaller in-line tenants, instead of WM relocating.

Last edited by avg12; 02-16-2013 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia