Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:24 PM

161 posts, read 344,487 times

Advertisements

It was announced that Red Robin is opening a location next to Red Lobster on Rt. 38. I was looking at the brochure for that plaza from Fameco Real Estate, and on the area map of the PDF (from JUNE 2012) it lists Hobby Lobby as a tenant for Garden State Pavilions. We obviously know that Jo-Ann Fabric announced they were opening there. But it looks like Hobby Lobby was in the running and Jo-Ann swooped in instead. http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/7...49B5EC8557.pdf

With the closure of Super Fresh in their center in Westmont, and the possibility of a Hobby Lobby opening up nearby, I guess Jo-Ann Fabric figured it was better to abandon Westmont and block Hobby Lobby from opening up. I wonder if Hobby Lobby is still looking into opening up somewhere in the area though.

Also on another note, this isn't really retail but it does take one more "empty" building out of the equation. Looks like the former Baker Lanes bowling alley will become a "gym and bowling lounge". www.courierpostonline.com/article/20130222/BUSINESS/302220019/Cherry-Hill-investors-pin-hopes-gym-bowling-alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times
It seems like there are many locations for Hobby Lobby to go into in Cherry Hill-Maple Shade area. I don't know much about them, but it's not like Home Depot vs. Lowes where each store has a 100,000+ sq.foot requirement, and Home Depot successfully thwarted Lowes. But I bet they want the low rent.

In fact, I'm surprised it couldn't find another spot in the same vacant plaza. East Gate has AC Moore and Michael's; Best Buy and PC Richard & Son, and at one time Staples and OfficeMax. Typically, only grocery stores have lease requirements preventing another grocery chain in the same center.

The gym, bowling and upscale restaurant combination is interesting. I've never been to a gym, with a bowling alley, and a restaurant! I don't know if they use the term upscale loosely, but I'm sure.

Oddly, Marlton lacks all of this even individually. There is no gym with a pool in Marlton, let alone enough gyms in Marlton, and nothing in way of entertainment like bowling in Marlton with exception of restaurants like Champs. A Breakers like the one in CH would do well with another location in Marlton, if the right site was there.

Last edited by avg12; 02-25-2013 at 03:01 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 04:54 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
It seems like there are many locations for Hobby Lobby to go into in Cherry Hill-Maple Shade area. I don't know much about them, but it's not like Home Depot vs. Lowes where each store has a 100,000+ sq.foot requirement, and Home Depot successfully thwarted Lowes. But I bet they want the low rent.

In fact, I'm surprised it couldn't find another spot in the same vacant plaza. East Gate has AC Moore and Michael's; Best Buy and PC Richard & Son, and at one time Staples and OfficeMax. Typically, only grocery stores have lease requirements preventing another grocery chain in the same center.

The gym, bowling and upscale restaurant combination is interesting. I've never been to a gym, with a bowling alley, and a restaurant! I don't know if they use the term upscale loosely, but I'm sure.

Oddly, Marlton lacks all of this even individually. There is no gym with a pool in Marlton, let alone enough gyms in Marlton, and nothing in way of entertainment like bowling in Marlton with exception of restaurants like Champs. A Breakers like the one in CH would do well with another location in Marlton, if the right site was there.
I've become familiar w/ Hobby Lobby. Trust me, they'd do better around Swedesboro. They close on Sundays. That would lose them a lot of business in the Cherry Hill area. Sunday is a busy day in the craft stores. The owner is the religious nut who tried to get the chain declared a religious institution to avoid giving birth control on health insurance.

Need to know more?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:37 PM

New article from the Courier Post about business in Cherry Hill: www.courierpostonline.com/article/20130225/BUSINESS/302230060/Open-for-business-Despite-vacancies-Cherry-Hill-draws-new-ventures

Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM

421 posts, read 834,220 times
Hmm... so to whoever thought it was ridiculous of me to suggest Hobby Lobby open in Marlton, you must have been wrong by assuming they would never even CONSIDER putting a store in the Cherry Hill/Marlton part of NJ. And yes, two craft stores can coexist very close together. For example, both a Michaels and an AC Moore are in the same shopping center in Langhorne PA, separated by only one store (I don't remember what, but the shopping center is pretty big). Perhaps the Hobby Lobby plans are still in effect, and actually their plans are to open in the empty half of the old Home Depot, where Burlington took the other half?

Anyway, I would love to see a ceremonial "dance" involving humans in robin and lobster suits celebrating the Red Robin grand opening, considering Red Lobster will be next door... between those two restaurant chains, they perhaps could provide plenty of booze to the performers and audience!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Hmm... so to whoever thought it was ridiculous of me to suggest Hobby Lobby open in Marlton, you must have been wrong by assuming they would never even CONSIDER putting a store in the Cherry Hill/Marlton part of NJ. And yes, two craft stores can coexist very close together. For example, both a Michaels and an AC Moore are in the same shopping center in Langhorne PA, separated by only one store (I don't remember what, but the shopping center is pretty big). Perhaps the Hobby Lobby plans are still in effect, and actually their plans are to open in the empty half of the old Home Depot, where Burlington took the other half?

Anyway, I would love to see a ceremonial "dance" involving humans in robin and lobster suits celebrating the Red Robin grand opening, considering Red Lobster will be next door... between those two restaurant chains, they perhaps could provide plenty of booze to the performers and audience!
I still think that hobby Lobby would be better off opening a store near Swedesboro.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:56 PM

I personally don’t believe anonymous posts on [domain blocked due to spam] about supermarkets, (they are usually false and are just someone's wishful thinking) but sometimes it’s fun to think “what if?”. The latest rumor/wishful thinking is that the Ravitz will be buying the Pathmark lease on Church Road, and reopening it as a "super Shoprite" with liquor and expanded Kosher experience. Garden State Pavilions location would close with the proposed Camden Shoprite opening.

In this scenario I am not sure what Church road would give them over Garden State Pavilions. The current store is already pretty big at around 82k Sqft. Though I guess it would still give them a location on the west side of Cherry Hill, but also distance them a little bit more from the proposed Camden store. I am not sure how big the Pathmark is, and the center overall is a bit dumpy/dated. It is interesting to note though that the old (empty) Rickel store in the same shopping center appears to be controlled by Pathmark still. How that could potentially play into any future Pathmark sell off would be interesting, but Big Lots sits in between the Pathmark and the Rickel stores.

If any of this would be true, it would lead to another vacancy at Garden State Pavilions. I wonder with some reconfiguring/expansion (there is a parking lot to the left and empty stores to the right) if there would be enough space for Lowe's if they would be interested in moving in. They were supposedly interested in moving into Market Place at Garden State Park, but Home Depot beat them to it.

Just some food for though.

Last edited by CH101; 03-22-2013 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 PM

I just don't get why Ravitz wouldn't want to re-open the Brace Rd. store. It looked busy when I drove by there or went inside, with fuller parking lots than when SuperG/Stop&Shop was around, but maybe it was internally struggling. But, w/Genuardi's gone, and Whole Foods catering to different shoppers, and one grocer less in Westmont, it might do better.

I always figured it was for strategic purposes: that the Brace Rd. store being open was diluting the Garden State Pavilions store, and thus they couldn't handle two stores in west Cherry Hill, with all the other competition. And, they didn't want to relinquish GS Pavilions, otherwise Wal-Mart could open a Super Walmart there. Or, it was lease conditions that they had to keep GS Pavilions open.

Regarding a WM supercenter nearby. I do wonder how the East Gate Sq. ShopRite store will fare with a Super Walmart so closeby. I suspect it could take a serious blow. The East Gate Square center still has B&N and Best Buy, but it lost some more destinational stores like Mikasa over the years. And many that buy groceries probably prefer to shop near home at a different time of day, rather than when buying a LCD screen TV from Best Buy. East Gate Sq. itself isn't that close to any neighborhoods, and/or housing, that I know of, where another grocery store isn't closer. So, low prices might be a factor to go in there, but WM Supercenter will have low and maybe lower prices than ShopRite.

As for ShopRite at Church Rd., I'm not sure. Part of the plaza is very dumpy, and there is some spot where Rickel's used to be located that looks abandoned. If Pathmark leased the space where TJMaxx used to be, the store could have expanded. Instead Big Lots leased there. I don't know who owns that plaza, but it seems plaza owners with A&P/Pathmark or Kmart leased somewhere, sometimes don't care anymore, and let the center become rundown.

Last edited by avg12; 03-23-2013 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I still think that hobby Lobby would be better off opening a store near Swedesboro.
Curious why you mention Swedesboro? Anyways CH has a lot of retail space which makes it most accommodating, and it has the full gamut. It has Nordstrom, but it also has 3 Dollar Tree locations.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
I just don't get why Ravitz wouldn't want to re-open the Brace Rd. store. It looked busy when I drove by there or went inside, with fuller parking lots than when SuperG/Stop&Shop was around, but maybe it was internally struggling. But, w/Genuardi's gone, and Whole Foods catering to different shoppers, and one grocer less in Westmont, it might do better.

I always figured it was for strategic purposes: that the Brace Rd. store being open was diluting the Garden State Pavilions store, and thus they couldn't handle two stores in west Cherry Hill, with all the other competition. And, they didn't want to relinquish GS Pavilions, otherwise Wal-Mart could open a Super Walmart there. Or, it was lease conditions that they had to keep GS Pavilions open.

Regarding a WM supercenter nearby. I do wonder how the East Gate Sq. ShopRite store will fare with a Super Walmart so closeby. I suspect it could take a serious blow. The East Gate Square center still has B&N and Best Buy, but it lost some more destinational stores like Mikasa over the years. And many that buy groceries probably prefer to shop near home at a different time of day, rather than when buying a LCD screen TV from Best Buy. East Gate Sq. itself isn't that close to any neighborhoods, and/or housing, that I know of, where another grocery store isn't closer. So, low prices might be a factor to go in there, but WM Supercenter will have low and maybe lower prices than ShopRite.

As for ShopRite at Church Rd., I'm not sure. Part of the plaza is very dumpy, and there is some spot where Rickel's used to be located that looks abandoned. If Pathmark leased the space where TJMaxx used to be, the store could have expanded. Instead Big Lots leased there. I don't know who owns that plaza, but it seems plaza owners with A&P/Pathmark or Kmart leased somewhere, sometimes don't care anymore, and let the center become rundown.
Actually there is residential housing very near to East Gate. I used to cut through that area if I went to East Gate at certain times of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia