Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,781 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me any good towns that have good universities in them. I want to be close but not to close to NYC. I have heard some bad things about New Bruinswick but im not sure. What do you guys think about it. thanks For the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Well the biggest school here is Rutgers. What were some of the bad things you heard about it? You can take day trips to NYC, the Jersey Shore, and the Pocono or Catskill mountains. It probably has the best location of any of the big schools in the Northeast Corridor.

Then you have NJIT in Newark, Seton Hall in West Orange, St Peters in Jersey City, Ramapo College in Ramapo, Fairleigh Dickinson in Hackensack, Montclair State in Montclair, Rutgers Newark in Newark, and Stevens in Hoboken. None of those are as large as Rutgers, and wont offer as much as rutgers can.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:09 PM

10,475 posts, read 6,991,011 times
I think you should choose your school on reputation and curricular rather than location.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I think you should choose your school on reputation and curricular rather than location.
Excellent advice. I think there is way more that needs to go into choosing a school then where it happens to be located. No matter what you pick in NJ you will always have relatively easy access to all the things you are looking for.

PS You may get more responses on the main NJ board, since that covers the area you are looking at.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Location actually is very important. I am not sure when some of you other folk went to college, but I graduated pretty recently, and I can probably relate more to the OP. I went to University in the middle of Pennsylvania. All I saw was tree trunks, and clouds. Yes tree trunks because all the leaves fell off for most of the semesters. When they reappeared I only had around one month in spring semester anyways. There was not much one could do. All in all, it was not as much fun as I would have loved it to be. Football was the center of life, and when that was over, our basketball team was not as good. State Universities that were placed out in the middle of nowhere, are such because the state wanted to bring some economic life to such place. Or the land was real cheap. I imagine all my jersey brethren lucky enough to attend Rutgers had much better possibilities. Go to NYC for a show, pro sports, or even Philly for that. Stick around during the summers and go to the beach/AC. Close to the mountains and woods if that is your thing too.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Well, I graduated from college in 2002, so not THAT long ago. FWIW, I went to school in Boston, so I definitely had a plethora of things to do both on and off campus and plenty of variety. Sure, it made the college experience that much better having all those options.

However, I would not have chosen to go to the school I did solely because it was in Boston. If getting the best education available to me in my field meant going to school on an iceberg off Alaska, then that is where I would have gone. Basically, there are a lot of more important things in terms of selecting a college then where it happens to be geographically.

Now, with that said, if the OP had narrowed it down to two relatively equal choices based on all of the other more important factors and wanted to know which one had greater access to off-campus activities and variety then it would be a valid question. However, they basically made it sound like they didn't care what school it was as long as it was "close, but not too close to NYC". In reality, ANY school in Northern NJ is going to give you pretty easy access to NYC and plenty of things to do. Heck, even Rowan or Stockton in South Jersey (NJ's version of your school) is going to give you relatively easy access to off-campus life in Philly or AC.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:06 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Location actually is very important. I am not sure when some of you other folk went to college, but I graduated pretty recently, and I can probably relate more to the OP. I went to University in the middle of Pennsylvania. All I saw was tree trunks, and clouds. Yes tree trunks because all the leaves fell off for most of the semesters. When they reappeared I only had around one month in spring semester anyways. There was not much one could do. All in all, it was not as much fun as I would have loved it to be. Football was the center of life, and when that was over, our basketball team was not as good. State Universities that were placed out in the middle of nowhere, are such because the state wanted to bring some economic life to such place. Or the land was real cheap. I imagine all my jersey brethren lucky enough to attend Rutgers had much better possibilities. Go to NYC for a show, pro sports, or even Philly for that. Stick around during the summers and go to the beach/AC. Close to the mountains and woods if that is your thing too.

The first college my daughter looked at was Lycoming in Williamsport. There was a bus to the mall. That was pretty much the extent of the entertainment in Williamsport, PA. The college had a good chemistry program, it seemed, but it was in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia