Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:27 AM

23,789 posts, read 33,234,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic958 View Post
I am going to be renting a house in the Mirrow Lake section. My husband and I am employed as Paramedics by FCI Fort Dix. We have 2 boys 6 & 9. I am reading these posts regarding Browns Mills, and there are mixed reviews. The neighborhood seems nice enough, and I have tried to read up about the schools. Could someone please give me some insight about the area. Positive or negative. Schools,shopping,childcare etc. Thanks!!!
Do you know what school the kids will go to? I'm not sure if it would be Denbo or Chriton (sp)

You may have some noise from the base where you are.
Are you going to be on a side street or one of the main roads around the lake?

I've make numerous posts about shopping, you can shop any place you'd like (Burlinton, Mt Holly, Toms River, Manahawkin, Medford, Moorsetown) most are 30 minute drives. While a lot of locals don't like Acme, I did and they always had what we used on sale unlike Shop Rite. There is a Stop & Shop in Whiting that is very cheap, worth it to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:22 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,934,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCookie View Post
Teaching, encouragement starts at home though, and most Browns Mills, not all, are blue collar worker's or non-worker's..So education for the most part isn't important to them.. And so it is passed onto their children.. So I guess it is 50/50..What they learn at school and the motivation, encouragement from home, The schools can try their hardest, but if the home foundation isn't doing their part, the school fails too...Now I am not saying all families here don't care about their children's education, there are some wonderfully educated professionals in town..BUT the majority are blue collar, and uneducated...Fact...Look at the census..
Horrors! A town full of DUN DUN DUN... BLUE COLLAR WORKERS!!! What a terrible place!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 20,691 times
Default Browns Mills

Thanks for the input, I am not sure what school they will go to, I am trying to get in touch with the district and find that out.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 AM

109 posts, read 343,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Horrors! A town full of DUN DUN DUN... BLUE COLLAR WORKERS!!! What a terrible place!
I agree, that was a pretty arrogant post. But, that person hasn't posted since February.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:14 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,595,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
People who earn their living!!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,934,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
People who earn their living!!
It's kind of ironic that this nearly year old post was resurrected the day after I went off on my diatribe about blue collar work/manual labor is no longer respected in this country. However, I have to disagree with the above poster. As a white collar worker (albeit with blue collar roots) I definitely earn my living. In fact, I WISH I punched a clock everyday because trust me-if I added all of the hours up I'd be making a hell of a lot more than $40K a year which ain't exactly much in this state. However, though I sit behind a desk and wear a suit I still have a hell of a lot of respect for the folks who keep this country moving whether that means driving trucks, building houses, repairing roads, cleaning toilets, or delivering boxes.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic958 View Post
Thanks for the input, I am not sure what school they will go to, I am trying to get in touch with the district and find that out.
Pemberton township schools
school list

My guess is either Crichton/Denbo or Haines - Harker Wiley.
Board of education is in Pemberton, go past the college (Burlington County) almost until you get to main street, make the last right you can right before the light at Main street, it's called Eggbert Street. They are the last building on the right.

registration info - For more information or if you have any questions, please call Central Registration at 609-893-8141, ext. 1026.

I can't say enough about the town's school system being online. Most of everything you need is there or at one of the school links and the people will answer emails. The site is also easy to read unlike my daughters new school.

Good luck. Let me know how you make out

Old 06-28-2008, 03:40 PM

201 posts, read 1,009,645 times
I lived in Southampton for 10 years, which is a town over from Browns Mills. The difference is the High School. I think the lower grades are not so bad, but the High school does not rank well. I would never consider Browns Mills. Call me a snob but the district has a lot to do you property value. I would choose another town. Maybe even Woodland.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:21 AM

High school is being "cleaned up"
The principal there doesn't take any crap and anyone that is starting trouble is being shipped out.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:54 PM

3 posts, read 17,987 times
I live in the country Lakes section of Browns Mills,which is the nicest area of the town. The main part of Browns Mills,is about 2 miles away from me,and its not as nice as where my house is. The town is loaded with bars! Thats my main complaint.One of the bars opens like at 7am,and some days you see dirty looking scumbags waiting for the bar to open.There is a pretty good mix of White,Black,Hispanic,etc people. The town is about 5-10 minutes from Mcguire Afb/Fort Dix Army base,and alot of the past few generations of Browns Mills citizens are actually retired military people,and their kids,and grandkids. Someone said it perfectly earlier in this thread.There are some REALLY NICE HOUSES! Some are $350,000-$400,000. Then you go one block over,and there are houses where the owner has a tarp on the roof to keep the rain from coming in(If you have been on Ridgeview Ave,you know where i am talking about)All in all,its a mixed bag.Before i would spend $400K here,i would move to a nicer area within 30 minutes like Mt Laurel,Lumberton,Shamong,Tabernacle,etc.The big advantage here is cheap taxes. Its a mixed bag of military,blue collar workers,etc. Alot of people live in Browns Mills,but work in other areas like on the bases,or Mount Holly,etc. We sort of are out of the way from major shopping centers and malls. I have lived here my whole life,and all in all its a safe neighborhood.Not alot of murders,some drugs here and there,a bit of Gang activity,etc,but just like any other place across the country,chances are that 20 years ago you might not have locked your door,now you do!
The schools arent bad for pre 8th grade,but i think junior high,and high school leaves something to be desired. We are 30-40 minutes from Seaside Heights/The shore, 1hour from Atlantic City,45 minutes from Philadelphia. We are in the Pine Barrens which is great for fishing,hunting,camping,boating,etc.All in all,its not a bad place to live,affordable and most of the people are friendly. We have some nice and pretty lakes.The town is like a 5 star resort compared to other areas of NJ like Camden in south jersey,or Newark in North Jersey

Last edited by morf13; 07-14-2008 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia