Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 08:32 AM

7 posts, read 19,036 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

I am new to posting in these threads, but was hoping to get some ideas of average commuting times into Philly across the WW Bridge during Rush Hour.

Some background...I just accepted a job in Philadelphia, on the South end right near the Navy Yard and Sports stadiums. My family and I are looking to relocate to the following areas on the NJ side Cherry Hill, Marlton, Voorhees. I'd like to keep my commute under 40 minutes both ways. Is this possible from the areas I am interested in? Any other suggestions? Obviously want to have a good commute but also be in a safe township with good schools and will be renting.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 02:04 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
all three wonderful area with nice safe neighborhoods and good schools. That commute is 25-40 mins one way depending on traffic but surely do able..

Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
Eastern Voorhees to that area is possible from between 30 to 45 minutes, depends on the typical factors such as how fast you drive, traffic, and construction. I've actually done this exact drive a couple times this summer and it took me around forty minutes with very heavy traffic along the bridge (they are repaving the Walt Whitman slowly lane by lane). I have previously gotten from Voorhees to the airport, which is past the navy yard, in 25 minutes, but that was at 6AM on a Saturday and I was driving fast.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:21 PM

Thanks to both of you for the useful information. Knowing that any of these areas is typically under 45 minutes one way is great and really helps. Is it typically worse going home, or the same? Do you take the standard roads/highways to get to the WW, or do you have a custom route of going to avoid potential traffic areas?

Not to change topics from the thread title, but we plan on going to check out the areas in the coming weekends, do you recommend any good apartment/condo complexes in those areas for rent? We've been reviewing some online, but opinions always help.

Thanks again.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
I live in Sicklerville and commute to King Of Prussia which is just about 40 miles. I work 6-2:30 to avoid traffic. Mornings it takes me about 40-45 min and going home is different everyday. Some days it is 50 min, others it has been 2 hours...and thats at 2:30 in the afternoon. Summer is definitely worse too with Shore traffic on Fridays. I pass by the area your talking about and from those locations your thinking of relocating the commute really should not be too bad. You will hit traffic but I would kill for that commute compared to mine. From Sicklerville thats probably only about 20 min.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:40 AM

283 posts, read 607,289 times
You may want to consider PATCO to the Broad Street Line if you can get to your job from there. It is a consistent 40 minutes from the Collingswood PATCO stop. Other stops would be just a few minutes more. Cherry Hill is probably most doable of the towns you listed, just because it is closest to the city. 70W in the morning backs up, so your ability to use it consistently would depend on your work schedule. Good luck, and welcome to NJ!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,685 times
The closer to 295 you are, the easier your commute will be. I would look at areas in Cherry Hill, Marlton, and Mount Laurel that are fairly close to 295. 295S in the AM and 295N in the PM is usually clear and going against the traffic. In the AM, you're looking at a 30min commute tops. PM would be a little longer but should still be under 40min the majority of the time.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Exits 33 & 34 of 295 are in Cherry Hill. Look around those exits for your quickest trip.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated. We wouldn't mind any of those areas, so I am glad to know commuting times are bearable. I will say we think we are leaning toward Voorhees/Marlton area to be a little removed from the hustle & bustle of some of the other more eastern towns. But it's still up in the air for now, we'll check out the areas and go from there. Welcome continued advice in the meantime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia