Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 PM

27 posts, read 82,219 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about purchasing a home in one of these areas. We're still going back and forth with which one is a better home, but one of my concerns is the area/neighborhood itself. Can anyone help me out? I need to know the good and hopefully not so bad things about these 2 townships. We're not that familiar with the area (we're from NW NJ). Which one is safer? Better school system? Looking for some diversity, lots of things to do in the area...and what's really important..the safety of the neighborhood. Any suggestions and advice will help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
we chose Burlington .. The nicest county in South jersey we think

Old 07-24-2012, 10:43 AM

128 posts, read 353,820 times
My vote would be Burlington. Its close to everything ... you can get to Philly and NYC pretty easily. Burlington County overall is just a great area, and Township is nice as well. It would depend on your budget, but if you can find something you like in Burlington, I would go for it.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:21 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,489,122 times
In terms of safety, they are both pretty safe areas. I would give the overall edge to Washington Twp. in that regard though as Bulrington Twp. borders Willingboro and Bulrington City, which are more sketchy areas.

In terms of schools Washington Twp. has a better overall school system then Burlington Twp.

In terms of convenience, for things actually in the town like stores, restaurants, etc. Washington Twp. has more to offer then Bulrington Twp. in that regard. However, Burlington Twp. has much easier access to the Cherry Hill/Moorestown/Mount Laurel/Marlton area which will give you way more choices. In Washington Twp., your nearest alternative is going to be Deptford, which while it has a lot of stores, it's not nearly the same as the other areas. Access to Philly is roughly equal, but the traffic can be much worse coming from Washington Twp. to the bridges and you need to compete with shore traffic in the summer on Route 42.

In terms of diversity, hands down Burlington Twp. is more diverse. Washington Twp. is 90+% white, versus ~57% for Burlington Twp. Washington is also more socio-economically homogenous being dominated primarily by middleclass families. In terms of size, Washington Twp. is almost double the size of Bulrington Twp.

So....

1. Safety - I'd give the edge to Washington Twp., but just slightly.
2. Schools - Definite advantage to Washinton Twp.
3. Diversity -Definite advantage to Burlington Twp. both economically and racially.
4. Convenience - In town, I'd say Washington Twp. Overall area, Burlington Twp. Access to Philly, tie with maybe a slight edge to Burlington.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,495,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
In terms of safety, they are both pretty safe areas. I would give the overall edge to Washington Twp. in that regard though as Bulrington Twp. borders Willingboro and Bulrington City, which are more sketchy areas.

In terms of schools Washington Twp. has a better overall school system then Burlington Twp.

In terms of convenience, for things actually in the town like stores, restaurants, etc. Washington Twp. has more to offer then Bulrington Twp. in that regard. However, Burlington Twp. has much easier access to the Cherry Hill/Moorestown/Mount Laurel/Marlton area which will give you way more choices. In Washington Twp., your nearest alternative is going to be Deptford, which while it has a lot of stores, it's not nearly the same as the other areas. Access to Philly is roughly equal, but the traffic can be much worse coming from Washington Twp. to the bridges and you need to compete with shore traffic in the summer on Route 42.

In terms of diversity, hands down Burlington Twp. is more diverse. Washington Twp. is 90+% white, versus ~57% for Burlington Twp. Washington is also more socio-economically homogenous being dominated primarily by middleclass families. In terms of size, Washington Twp. is almost double the size of Bulrington Twp.

So....

1. Safety - I'd give the edge to Washington Twp., but just slightly.
2. Schools - Definite advantage to Washinton Twp.
3. Diversity -Definite advantage to Burlington Twp. both economically and racially.
4. Convenience - In town, I'd say Washington Twp. Overall area, Burlington Twp. Access to Philly, tie with maybe a slight edge to Burlington.
Agree with the Wash Twp desirability over Burlington Twp - note to others, the OP was talking about Burlington Twp, not the county.....Money did rank Wash Twp in Gloucester County in the Top 100 best places to live back in 2008 and it has a higher medium income with generally favorable migration trends for both business and population. The downside is traffic around Wash twp - can be brutal particularly 295/42 coming to/from Philly and the core areas of SJ.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 07-24-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia