Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 05:19 PM

27 posts, read 82,727 times

Advertisements

can anyone tell me more about Mantua and Washington Township in Gloucester County?? I've heard that Washington Township was good (close to everything, nice place to live and raise family in, good school system, etc..). Don't really know too much about Mantua. School system? Safe to live in? Any suggestions and advice welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:25 AM

283 posts, read 607,237 times
I grew up in Washington Township and graduated from WTHS in 2001. Washington Township is a good bedroom community - very safe, good schools, lots of families, etc. The commute to Philadelphia is nowhere near as easy as it used to be. Plan on a very long commute if you work in the city. 42 crawls in the morning due to the 295 merge and Friday shore traffic - forget it.

The school system is big. Most kids know each other through elementary and middle school. Once high school comes, the middle schools merge their student bodies, so there are a lot of new people to meet. Keep in mind that big student bodies can have issues - cliques, drugs in the wrong groups of people, etc. Just like with anything in life, you are the company you keep.

I thought my education was excellent. The school had tons of class options in high school - AP classes, woodshop, automotive repair, etc. There were a lot of opportunities to graduate with technical school or college credit.

The biggest downsides now are probably the housing stock (it's all getting older) and the taxes (which are now over $9k a year on many houses). If you have a few kids that need the schools, it could be a good value. Most people move in with young kids and move out when they no longer need the school system.

Expect a large number of relocated South Philadelphians - the area can have something of a little Italy feel to it. That said, it is a mixed upper-middle income class bedroom community. Also, plan on driving everywhere for everything. You are 30 minutes from Cherry Hill, Philadelphia, Deptford Mall, etc. There are more shopping options now (you have everything you really need like food stores, Target, Walmart, and the new shopping centers on 689). Don't know much about Mantua - good luck with your hunt!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Mantua is a different place then Washington Twp. It is more spread out and less densely populated. It is dominated by older tract developments. There are some shopping options, but they are much more limited. People in Mantua tend to shop in Deptford or Washington Twp. The area is safe and both Washington Twp. and Mantua are comparable in terms of crime rate. In terms of school system, the overall edge goes to Washington Twp. Mantua's elementary schools are a cut below, but their high school is comparable. Kids in Mantua attend Clearview Regional High School along with kids from Harrison Twp. (aka Mullica Hill). Clearview is a lot smaller then Washington Twp. high school having ~1,600 students to Washington Twp.'s ~2,800.

Depending on the commute situation, Mantua can afford an easier commute to Camden/Burlington County and Philly then people coming from Washington Twp.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 AM

164 posts, read 432,987 times
Fact is, Mantua Township is just fine

Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 AM

14 posts, read 19,902 times
I grew up in West Deptford right next to Mantua (so close they shared a Mantua mailing address).
I think it's a great area...I prefer Mantua over Washington Twp.
Shopping is fine there as well...I've never in the 30 yrs drove to Washington Twp for shopping.
There's an Acme, Khols, Home Depot, ShopRite, gas stations, Amish Market a few minutes away etc.
I think it meets all the criteria you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia