Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 16,385 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
My girlfriend and I currently live in Philadelphia, we are a couple, and we are planning to start a family soon. We know Pennsylvania doesn't recognize civil unions or domestic partnerships, so we are going to move to south new jersey (where my girlfriend is currently from) to start our life there. We originally wanted to move to the media, PA area, but we absolutely love Haddonfield and Collingswood so we thought it would be a perfect move. Plus, living in PA and losing all the benefits of a civil union would just be stupid. So are plan is to move from Philadelphia when our lease is up in May and rent something in an area where I can get to the city quickly (I work in center city). So somewhere close to a speedline would be best.

We eventually want to buy a house in Haddonfield or Collingswood, but want to rent for a few years to save up money, however there doesn't seem to be a huge rental selection in this area.

What we are looking for in a rental:
- We want to be able to park our car in front of our rental. So a townhome/duplex of some sort would work perfectly. We have been living in huge high rise buildings for years and we're just sick of having to lug our groceries up there and taking 10 mins to even get up to our apt...so a must is straight access to our rental.
- 2 bedroom, 1 bath
- Safe
Is there any places like this in the south jersey area that would work that requires little driving to the speedline?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,701,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillkfed View Post
Hello there,
My girlfriend and I currently live in Philadelphia, we are a couple, and we are planning to start a family soon. We know Pennsylvania doesn't recognize civil unions or domestic partnerships, so we are going to move to south new jersey (where my girlfriend is currently from) to start our life there. We originally wanted to move to the media, PA area, but we absolutely love Haddonfield and Collingswood so we thought it would be a perfect move. Plus, living in PA and losing all the benefits of a civil union would just be stupid. So are plan is to move from Philadelphia when our lease is up in May and rent something in an area where I can get to the city quickly (I work in center city). So somewhere close to a speedline would be best.

We eventually want to buy a house in Haddonfield or Collingswood, but want to rent for a few years to save up money, however there doesn't seem to be a huge rental selection in this area.

What we are looking for in a rental:
- We want to be able to park our car in front of our rental. So a townhome/duplex of some sort would work perfectly. We have been living in huge high rise buildings for years and we're just sick of having to lug our groceries up there and taking 10 mins to even get up to our apt...so a must is straight access to our rental.
- 2 bedroom, 1 bath
- Safe
Is there any places like this in the south jersey area that would work that requires little driving to the speedline?

Thank you!
Yes. What is your price range? There are a few house rentals in the area for smaller homes that probably range between $1200 - $2000. I know of two that are currently for rent.

Melrose Ave to Grove St - Google Maps

Directions between the two. They have signs out front. The melrose one is like 2-3 blocks from Westmont Speedline. Easy walk. The grove one would be ideally a bike ride or quick drive.

If you are looking for MUCH cheaper then I would check Craigslist or drive around the area. Issue is mainly since you don't need something till May all you are going to do now is get ideas. Good luck...

Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 AM

6 posts, read 16,385 times
Thanks so much. Our price range is $1000-$1400. We really don't want to spend any more than that.
Yeah, May is pretty far away, but we just want to get some ideas on what is out there. Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful

Old 08-13-2012, 11:28 AM

3 BR 1 BA single family home in lovely neighborhood AVAIL ASAP

This is the one on Emerald (I said Melrose earlier by mistake)

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...rental=1&row=8
This is the one on Grove.

The one in Westmont would work for you.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,755,924 times
There's a lot out there, you just need to look. I think you will be pretty happy overall with the area you chose.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,062,648 times
At first I was going to say the Heights at Collingswood. We lived there when it was called the Parkview. But it is a 9-10 story highrise (depending on the building you live in) We had a 2 bedroom 1 bath end unit with balcony for $1100.

I bought one of those little carts for for groceries and kept it in the hall closet. You can also pay extra for a garage spot but make sure you have a car cover because water from the promenade above leaks down through the concrete above and can ruin you paint job and stain your windows.

For town homes maybe look to see what will be finished in the Lumberyard in Collingswood. There might be some investors looking to rent when they are completed. Whenever that would be.

Also, don't rule out renting a house or duplex. There are a lot of little gems. Also look in Haddon Heights and Westmont too. Close to speedline, and haddonfield and collingswood without the higher taxes and rents.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 AM

There is no where in Haddon Heights close to any speedline.
(over a mile EASY!)

I think a house/duplex rental is your best bet... There are apartments on Crystal Lake Ave by the Haddon Twp Pool.
Don't know much about them but not far from speedline.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:25 PM

283 posts, read 608,154 times
Be careful with heat and cooling for older houses in the area. Remember that exposed walls make a difference. A lot of the houses in the area use oil heat, so that can add hundreds to your monthly budget in the cold winter and hot summer months. My sister negotiated oil heat into her most recent twin rental, so you may be able to work out an arrangement with a landlord. Also, check out who does lawn maintenance, etc. You will find there are additional costs with renting a house over an apartment - more space to put furniture in, higher heating and cooling bills, etc. Just make sure you factor these into your overall spend if you're coming from an apartment. The first few months were a shock for me when I moved from my Haddonfield condo rental to my Collingswood house. In Collingswood, the rowhouses next to the Collingswood speedline go up for rent often as do many of the twins on the West streets that back up to the train tracks. Single family homes go on the market as well. Plenty to choose from as suggested. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:57 PM

681 posts, read 1,514,648 times
I would think you are at an OPTIMAL time to look for rentals in the new Lumberyard complex. The current plan is to construct new rental phases of the 1/3 finished complex but that may run into some vote down. I actually hope it does as I believe that rentals are detrimental to development (The Heights of Collingswood). Collingswood is also very high in the LGBT desirability rating so I see it as an excellent choice based on your wishlist.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:40 PM

283 posts, read 608,154 times
Good suggestion, but the OP is priced out of the Lumberyard. Rentals start at $1800 I believe. At the OP's price range, I'd consider a rental rowhouse near the train tracks (those go for about $1300/mo), above a Store (there is a cool place above the Asian restaurant that goes for $1100/mo), 2nd floor of a house somewhere - there are lots of cool spaces in town. I would visit the town and drive around to see what's out there. The internet is missing a lot of rentals. I'd drive around town and find places that are for rent. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia