Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 PM

516 posts, read 1,617,994 times

Advertisements

Folks,

Any opinion on which is a preferrable community and why. I guess I could could proffer a few categories:

Schools: Haddonfield is smaller by about 40% but does this matter?
Property Value
Sense of Community

We are planning on moving to one or the other. I find that one gets much more in moorestown than in Haddonfield for the same price. Also, Moorestown taxes on a $750K home are about $15k. In Haddonfield, a $750K home would command about $18 to 19K in taxes. I like the feel of Haddonfield's smaller school district, but not sure the additional taxes and smaller home is worth it. Thanks again for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 04:10 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,896,998 times
Either would be a perfect fit. I think it would depend on the home you find in either area to be the deal breaker. Can't go wrong with either one

Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 AM

25 posts, read 56,214 times
We, too, faced a similar decision when we moved to the area 9 years ago. At the time, we were torn between Medford, Moorestown, and Haddonfield. Ruled out Medford right away due to commuting distance issues for my husband, though it is pretty there--and you can buy a large newer home on a big piece of ground for far less than you can elsewhere. Spent a great deal of time looking at houses in Moorestown and Haddonfield.
Both really have excellent school districts-- but Haddonfield's is definitely smaller.

Here is what we found to be the other major differences:
Moorestown is more spread out. . .it's a little over 17 square miles. Depending on where one lives, the children in your house might ride a bus to school. Taxes are lower, maybe because they have some industry in the town (i.e. Lockheed, the Moorestown Mall, and other corporations), and it's Burlington County. They also have some newer tract housing, a plus if you're more into buying recent construction.
Haddonfield is smaller. . .not much more than 7 square miles, it's part of Camden County. We chose it because it's more walkable--we are actually classed as a Walking School District--no buses--everyone mostly walks or bikes to school. And we loved the idea of a quick train ride, via the PATCO station in town, to get into Center City Philadelphia (we're former city dwellers). Our taxes are higher because we don't have the industrial base in the town. Haddonfield has mostly older homes in its stock, though you will find an occasional new construction (where an old home was torn down). . .and many of the older homes have been updated with new kitchens and baths. If you're willing to do some work yourself, you may find a great deal here on an older property in need of updating.
Hope this info helps! As frankgn87 said, you can't go wrong with either. It might come down to the house you find that you like the best in your price range. Good luck with your decision!!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. I suppose there might be one minor difference between Haddonfield and Moorestown. There might be better opportunities for athletic participation and perhaps experiencing some degree of academic success in Haddonfield than in the slightly larger Moorestown. For instance, I know a kid that won the Calculus award in a smaller school district and there is no way that that same kid would come close to winning it in Cherry Hill--there's just more kids and so a greater chance for excelling. Also, I know another kid who was merely an average soccer player who got a chance to play, but who would likely be excluded from a larger school district. My point is to have my kids experience some success and they are likely to find that in a smaller setting, I suppose. No guarantees, but greater probability.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:03 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,735,454 times
Only you know your kids. If you think a smaller environment is going to give them a better chance to excel, then there's your answer. I don't necessarily buy your logic as presented, because either school is going to be very competitive academically, both towns are competitive sports towns and both tend to attract the "best and brightest". It almost seems like you are looking for "big fish in a small pond" and I think your options here bascially are, "lot's of big fish in a small pond" or "lot's of big fish in an even smaller pond". These schools don't achieve the rankings and recongition that they do because they have better facilities, teachers, resources, etc. then other districts. They achieve the rankings because the towns attract educated, affluent families who place a high value on education and invest in their children. From what you are describing as your goal, you may be better off with a school on the "next tier" down like a Cinnaminson or Haddon Twp. where the quality of programs and resources is still excellent, but you have fewer "big fish".

Old 08-29-2012, 02:26 PM

691 posts, read 3,063,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Only you know your kids. If you think a smaller environment is going to give them a better chance to excel, then there's your answer. I don't necessarily buy your logic as presented, because either school is going to be very competitive academically, both towns are competitive sports towns and both tend to attract the "best and brightest". It almost seems like you are looking for "big fish in a small pond" and I think your options here bascially are, "lot's of big fish in a small pond" or "lot's of big fish in an even smaller pond". These schools don't achieve the rankings and recongition that they do because they have better facilities, teachers, resources, etc. then other districts. They achieve the rankings because the towns attract educated, affluent families who place a high value on education and invest in their children. From what you are describing as your goal, you may be better off with a school on the "next tier" down like a Cinnaminson or Haddon Twp. where the quality of programs and resources is still excellent, but you have fewer "big fish".
I agree with NJGOAT. I definitely wouldn't use that logic in choosing Haddonfield over Moorestown.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Hummm......Some good points to consider. Thanks All.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 9,500 times
haddonfield vs moorestown for gifted and talented students? any thoughts are appreciated!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,942,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBarb View Post
haddonfield vs moorestown for gifted and talented students? any thoughts are appreciated!

Both are very good school. If your child is truly gifted, start here... Pre-K to Grade 12 Gifted Programming Standards | National Association for Gifted Children

They have great resources for gifted students.

I know Moorestown works with SIG offering programs for gifted kids. Just note that it's a business so it's not free.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:42 PM

212 posts, read 611,172 times
NJ public schools are not legislatively obligated to do that much for gifted students; read up on it as prompted above. One crazy budget year can pretty much destroy a good gifted program. You may want to check out Moorestown Friends School in terms of a school (albeit private) striving to educate amazing students. Based on your budget, you may want to reassess your housing options if education is a high priority to you and spend your money on a dependable source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia