Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 10:51 AM

147 posts, read 283,913 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the Philly area for a job in KOP. I had thought Montgomery county in PA was the place for us but I'm hearing all sorts of great things about Cherry Hill area.

My only question at this point in time is would the commute from Cherry Hill area to KOP be a total nightmare and not even worth it or is it a decent ride since its going against Philly traffic?

Appreciate the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,420 times
Unless you work off hours I would say don't do it. I live in the Cherry Hill area and had a job in Malvern after college. Lasted one week. In the morning (in the summer which has less traffic) the commute took me 50 minutes when I left at like 6:30am. The drive home was easily over an 1hr and on Friday was 2hrs.

Even off hours that commute is at least 45 minutes each way. Personally unless I have no choice I will never do a commute over 30 minutes again...

Old 08-30-2012, 12:24 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
My brother has lived in the Cherry Hill area and worked in the KOP area for over 15 years. His normal commute is around an hour and 15 minutes in the morning and an hour and 45 minutes in the evening...this is assuming no one has decided to play bumper cars.

I've briefly done the commute (had an internship with my brother's company) and I can honestly say, I would never choose that for a long term situation. I'm not shy of long commutes (currently my commute is 30-45 minutes and I have done an hour commute for five years before that), but that commute is not only long, but incredibly stressful as you are in solid gridlocked traffic with constant stop-and-go. You basically spend the whole commute going from sitting still to 45mph, then slamming on your brakes and coming to a complete stop while people jockey for position. Toss in tons of 18-wheelers and dump trucks and it's just a whole bunch of fun. Don't even ask about trying to get back over the bridges on a Friday night in the summer.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:44 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
My brother has lived in the Cherry Hill area and worked in the KOP area for over 15 years. His normal commute is around an hour and 15 minutes in the morning and an hour and 45 minutes in the evening...this is assuming no one has decided to play bumper cars.

I've briefly done the commute (had an internship with my brother's company) and I can honestly say, I would never choose that for a long term situation. I'm not shy of long commutes (currently my commute is 30-45 minutes and I have done an hour commute for five years before that), but that commute is not only long, but incredibly stressful as you are in solid gridlocked traffic with constant stop-and-go. You basically spend the whole commute going from sitting still to 45mph, then slamming on your brakes and coming to a complete stop while people jockey for position. Toss in tons of 18-wheelers and dump trucks and it's just a whole bunch of fun. Don't even ask about trying to get back over the bridges on a Friday night in the summer.
Throw in rain, snow, Friday summer, or an accident and you can easily add 20-40 minutes to your commute.
On top of the 90 minute average commute.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
And a ruturn to CH on Fridays is awful. Or even just Phillies game traffic adds probably 15-20 minutes those days. Its doable but very painful

Old 08-30-2012, 01:27 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Beyond insane; don't do it. Closer-by "Cherry Hill-like" areas include Montgomeryville and Exton. Really much of the newer, sprawling, and more affluent parts of Central MontCo and Eastern Chester County will fit the bill.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,987 times
Aside from the good things you've heard about Cherry Hill, there's no reason to live there. There are many nice places much closer to KOP.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:01 PM

147 posts, read 283,913 times
done deal, appreciate the input. Scratch cherry hill off the list

Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,655 times
Don't do it.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,493 times
For the Friday return,
I suggest taking PA Turnpike from Valley Forge to the Street Road exit, in Bensalem.
Drive on Street Road to I-95, take I-95 S to the Betsy Ross Bridge to 73 S into South Jersey.

It's still a long route (maybe 10-15 additional miles also), but this route moves unlike taking the I-76E into Philadelphia and taking the Walt Whitman or Ben Franklin Bridges between 5-7pm.

Another way around stay couple of hours in the KOP/Norristown/Ply Meeting area, and then leave that area after 7pm, when traffic reduces considerably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia