Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 05:09 AM

93 posts, read 236,197 times

Advertisements

Most of us have comcast as our cable provider in this area.I was looking into Verizon Fios,but it's not available in Gloucester City yet,but in other areas close to my home.Direct TV & Dish Network,not interested in them,they don't have the comcast sports network available,couldn't live w/o seeing the Flyers games.Comcast is so expensive,they got us by the balls,lol.I just wish another cable company would come into this area & give comcast a run for their money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,148 times
Default Comcast Subscriber

I'm from the great state of NJ and have been a comcast subscriber since 1996.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I currently have Comcast and there is no FiOS in my area, but I have had FiOS in the past and my parents currently have it. In all honesty, the difference between FiOS and Comcast is pretty minimal in terms of pricing and what you get. I think FiOS has a slightly better picture quality and has faster internet in their base tiers, but that's about it. The satellite companies all suck because you can't get the "bundles" through them so your phone and internet end up being a separate deal and it tends to cost more overall (yes, I'm aware that the satellite companies sell "bundles" but they are separate contracts with separate companies).

It all comes down to price tolerance, no matter how you slice it, you are going to be paying around $100 a month for TV, phone and internet if you need all three. Where it starts to kill you on the TV end is when you have multiple sets that you want to get all the channels on. That means buying additional boxes and that ratchets up the cost fast, but that's true for all of them unless you are on their top plans.

Personally, we watch a lot of TV and my wife and I really prefer a lot of the programming on the premium channels, so we just pay for the top package. It's $200 but it includes everything and multiple boxes for the TV's in the house. It's expensive, but whenever I start to look at alternatives, it never results in much savings unless we give up a lot of our content.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenj View Post
Most of us have comcast as our cable provider in this area.I was looking into Verizon Fios,but it's not available in Gloucester City yet,but in other areas close to my home.Direct TV & Dish Network,not interested in them,they don't have the comcast sports network available,couldn't live w/o seeing the Flyers games.Comcast is so expensive,they got us by the balls,lol.I just wish another cable company would come into this area & give comcast a run for their money.
I have Comcast Digital Economy for around $31.00. Included is ESPN 1, ESPN 2, Comcast Sportsnet, Madison Square Garden Network, and Sports Channel NY. You might find this price easier to handle.

I don't like the bundles and prefer the freedom to switch. I've been able to keep my costs at or below what the bundles cost anyway.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:05 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
we don't have Fios yet so we are stuck with comcast.. Its okay...

Old 09-02-2012, 02:22 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Comcast has a pretty large presence in New Jersey in general. This map does a good job at showing the various cable companies throughout the state.

http://www.cablenj.org/files/10_FranchiseMap3-4-10.pdf

Old 09-03-2012, 09:05 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
thanks good info there..

Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 AM

283 posts, read 607,365 times
Your other option is to get a cheaper cable package and then look into something like a Roku for the sports stuff. I am not sure if they have NHL (I think they do), but you can buy a season pass for MLB and I believe NFL. I'm not sure what the economics of that would be. Fortunately for me, I have FIOS, so I was able to bundle Internet and cable for $90/month including taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia