Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,542 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am so glad that I found this form, I already found a lot of information about Moorestown and what I great place to live it is. I have visited the community numerous times now and my wife and I have fallen in love with the place. We are looking at a home in Laurel Creek Country Club. The development seems really nice and of course is very beautiful. I also love the convenience to 295 and shopping. Of course I would love to be closer to the main street area but my wife really loves the home we found. Any thoughts and opinions you have would be greatly appreciated it. Are the people there friendly or stuck up? Are there lots of children in the neighborhood. Is the development really active. How do other residents of Moorestown feel about Laurel Creek residents, etc etc.

Thank you!

JR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
I don't know much about Laurel Creek itself, but I have a good friend who grew up in the development behind the school off of Salem Crossings Road. I also lived briefly in Moorestown, but on Dawson Street, closer to the Main Street area. In terms of "stuck up" I certainly never really got that vibe from anyone in the town, it was actually a rather accomodating and accepting place. My friend was from a rather wealthy family and he was fine, but he did say the high school was rather cliquish and competitive and there was a fair amount of snobbery among the kids. Oh, your parents bought last years model BMW for you...kind of stuff. I don't think it was any better or worse in that regard from any affluent community. He did date a girl for a few years who was from the "poor" part of town and she endured some issues over it.

As far as how people view the newer developments, I don't think it's much different then how they view anyone else. Obviously everyone paid the freight to live there and I think around 1/3rd or so of the town now lives in these newer developments, so you won't get much snobbery on that end.

In terms of kids, I don't know about Laurel Creek per se, but I know my friends development was packed with families. The elementary school is going to be right up the road from you and only serves that area, so I'm sure you will find plenty of kids for yours to hang out with.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:16 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
people are friendly there. No issues that I know of. Super nice area. Good luck.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 PM

9,336 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
he did say the high school was rather cliquish and competitive and there was a fair amount of snobbery among the kids. Oh, your parents bought last years model BMW for you...kind of stuff. I don't think it was any better or worse in that regard from any affluent community. He did date a girl for a few years who was from the "poor" part of town and she endured some issues over it.
To be fair, that's just the way people (especially high school-aged kids, who are often insecure feel like they have something to prove) are in general, and that sort of behavior is no different from what you'd encounter at CH East or Eastern. The difference is that in a community like Moorestown, the "bar of affluence" is a bit tougher to meet. Still, I went to a somewhat similar high school across the River in PA, and I found it was really just a small (but distinctly annoying) minority of people who perpetuated this snobbery, and a similarly small (but distinctly pathetic) minority of people who felt pressured into "keeping up appearances."

As far as competitiveness goes, it's much better to attend a school where high achievement is seen as a status symbol than one where the smart kids are ostracized as "nerds." It's a good way to prepare children for a competitive university environment, and from there, a competitive job market where strivers are the ones who ultimately succeed.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:29 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
To be fair, that's just the way people (especially high school-aged kids, who are often insecure feel like they have something to prove) are in general, and that sort of behavior is no different from what you'd encounter at CH East or Eastern. The difference is that in a community like Moorestown, the "bar of affluence" is a bit tougher to meet. Still, I went to a somewhat similar high school across the River in PA, and I found it was really just a small (but distinctly annoying) minority of people who perpetuated this snobbery, and a similarly small (but distinctly pathetic) minority of people who felt pressured into "keeping up appearances."

As far as competitiveness goes, it's much better to attend a school where high achievement is seen as a status symbol than one where the smart kids are ostracized as "nerds." It's a good way to prepare children for a competitive university environment, and from there, a competitive job market where strivers are the ones who ultimately succeed.
I definitely agree with everything you said, I only posted that to show what I had heard about the environment in the high school from a rather reliable source. As you said though, that is going to exist anywhere, even in poorer communities. It's just the way high school kids are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia