Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
I would love to see another chain move into the area, and given the state of A&P and Acme I think it is bound to happen tbh.
That's why I think that it's a possibility. There are closed stores all over, not just Genuardis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 AM

122 posts, read 202,869 times
So excited.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 AM

421 posts, read 834,640 times
I'm surprised Genuardi's ever was at Ellisburg in the first place. That shopping center was built in the 50's with a Food Fair supermarket, and the Genuardi's there was the ONLY one (OK maybe one of two) to open in an existing shopping center instead of opening in a brand new building in a new center. The one in Conshohocken PA (near Norristown) was built on the site of a demolished A&P/Super Fresh though, and now is a Weis. It's unfortunate Giant didn't buy that one to replace the small Giant across the street in a very old building, which was a Penn Fruit and then a Clemens before Giant. But perhaps due to the larger Giant from 2000 in nearby Plymouth Meeting, Giant didn't want to have two full-size stores so close together, less than a mile apart in fact.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:10 PM

I talked with a friend who lives in Haddon Heights yesterday. She told me about the JoAnn's Fabrics in Westmont moving. She said that JoAnn's was going to be combined with the former Super Fresh & another store & turned into an Acme..

Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,726 times
There's already an Acme there within half a mile. unless the new owners of Acme want Acme to relocate. No net gain then really.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
There's already an Acme there within half a mile. unless the new owners of Acme want Acme to relocate. No net gain then really.
The other Acme will relocate. No net gain. It does fill holes in that shopping center. My friend says that the "new" Acme will be larger, so, hopefully, it will mean jobs gained.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM

I highly doubt what a friend told a friend told a friend is true. People spread those kinds of rumors all the time to get some kind of sick pleasure from it. It's very unlikely that Acme will open any new stores anytime soon, if ever, if they don't go out of business entirely. Just in the past month, Acme was sold again for the third time in 13 years. First American Stores, the parent company of Acme, was bought in 2000 by Albertsons, then Albertsons was bought by Supervalu in 2006, and the Albertsons/Acme division (also including Shaw's/Star Markets in New England, made of of Star Markets which was first swallowed by Shaw's, but not long after swallowed by Albertsons, then by Supervalu) of Supervalu was just recently sold to an investment group called Cerberus. I can only realistically see Acme taking the Super Fresh in Westmont if both the current Westmont and Audubon Acmes, and/or perhaps the tiny Haddonfield Acme, were to be consolidated into one, in a "last ditch" relocation.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I highly doubt what a friend told a friend told a friend is true. People spread those kinds of rumors all the time to get some kind of sick pleasure from it. It's very unlikely that Acme will open any new stores anytime soon, if ever, if they don't go out of business entirely. Just in the past month, Acme was sold again for the third time in 13 years. First American Stores, the parent company of Acme, was bought in 2000 by Albertsons, then Albertsons was bought by Supervalu in 2006, and the Albertsons/Acme division (also including Shaw's/Star Markets in New England, made of of Star Markets which was first swallowed by Shaw's, but not long after swallowed by Albertsons, then by Supervalu) of Supervalu was just recently sold to an investment group called Cerberus. I can only realistically see Acme taking the Super Fresh in Westmont if both the current Westmont and Audubon Acmes, and/or perhaps the tiny Haddonfield Acme, were to be consolidated into one, in a "last ditch" relocation.
My friend lives in Haddon Heights & has shopped in the Westmont JoAnn's for decades. She was told this by one of the employees. While it may be rumor, what's the chance that the employee was told this as the reason why the store is being moved? That's right, reasonably good. Stores don't move just for jollies. It's very expensive for them.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM

I don't mean to sound rude or insult anyone, but are the words of just any minimum wage retail worker that credible? Let me give some examples why I don't think so. Once I asked a clerk at a PetSmart in PA what the store used to be. She told me "Staples" and seemed sure of it. I didn't buy it because there was an old-looking Staples still open across the street. Later I found an old picture of the PetSmart center, and sure enough the PetSmart space was an OfficeMax at the time! I also have a good friend who has worked for Acme in Delaware for many years. He told me another employee got fired for spreading a lie to everyone in his division that Kroger was buying the chain! This really upset some of these good people. And I've met a lot of older people who were easily confused. For example, I met an older lady in a town that once had a Super Fresh who mixed it up with a Super Saver, part of a discount division of Acme in the 60's and 70's. And yet she was a representative of a historical society. I also talked to an older retired butcher from an Acme in Allentown who mistakenly told me (but seemed sure of it) that Penn Fruit was owned by A&P. But it never was.

Also, how are you credible when you say your friend shopped at the Jo-Ann in Westmont for "decades"? That particular Jo-Ann has been open for less than two decades! It opened sometime between 1997 and 2000, taking up part of the former Clover, as did the Super Fresh, which moved from an old A&P/Super Fresh across the parking lot. Maybe you're thinking of the Jo-Ann Fabrics in Maple Shade, which wasn't a Jo-Ann for all that long but was a "Cloth World" fabric store bought by Jo-Ann for many years prior, and briefly was an A&P before that. After Jo-Ann it was a Bally Fitness but I think that also is now closed. And by the way, the name of the company is "Jo-Ann", with a hyphen, and the name is NOT in possessive form! I don't get why people always referred to the Eckerd drugstore chain as "Eckerd's", or Woolworth as "Woolworth's" in the past. And it just really bugs me that older people in PA have continued to refer to the PLCB liquor stores (now labeled as "Wine & Spirits" or "Wine & Spirits Shoppe") as "State Store", even though that name has been gone for over 30 years. I know there are worse things to worry about, like war and starvation, but are people that illiterate and careless that they can't even read the sign on the front of a store they shop at often? But it's understandable in the case of JCPenney, which older people still call "Penneys", because that actually was the name many years ago (before 1970), and is slowly changing their name again to JCP. Also, Montgomery Ward, the long-gone department store chain, went back and forth between calling itself "Wards" and Montgomery Ward.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I don't mean to sound rude or insult anyone, but are the words of just any minimum wage retail worker that credible? Let me give some examples why I don't think so. Once I asked a clerk at a PetSmart in PA what the store used to be. She told me "Staples" and seemed sure of it. I didn't buy it because there was an old-looking Staples still open across the street. Later I found an old picture of the PetSmart center, and sure enough the PetSmart space was an OfficeMax at the time! I also have a good friend who has worked for Acme in Delaware for many years. He told me another employee got fired for spreading a lie to everyone in his division that Kroger was buying the chain! This really upset some of these good people. And I've met a lot of older people who were easily confused. For example, I met an older lady in a town that once had a Super Fresh who mixed it up with a Super Saver, part of a discount division of Acme in the 60's and 70's. And yet she was a representative of a historical society. I also talked to an older retired butcher from an Acme in Allentown who mistakenly told me (but seemed sure of it) that Penn Fruit was owned by A&P. But it never was.

Also, how are you credible when you say your friend shopped at the Jo-Ann in Westmont for "decades"? That particular Jo-Ann has been open for less than two decades! It opened sometime between 1997 and 2000, taking up part of the former Clover, as did the Super Fresh, which moved from an old A&P/Super Fresh across the parking lot. Maybe you're thinking of the Jo-Ann Fabrics in Maple Shade, which wasn't a Jo-Ann for all that long but was a "Cloth World" fabric store bought by Jo-Ann for many years prior, and briefly was an A&P before that. After Jo-Ann it was a Bally Fitness but I think that also is now closed. And by the way, the name of the company is "Jo-Ann", with a hyphen, and the name is NOT in possessive form! I don't get why people always referred to the Eckerd drugstore chain as "Eckerd's", or Woolworth as "Woolworth's" in the past. And it just really bugs me that older people in PA have continued to refer to the PLCB liquor stores (now labeled as "Wine & Spirits" or "Wine & Spirits Shoppe") as "State Store", even though that name has been gone for over 30 years. I know there are worse things to worry about, like war and starvation, but are people that illiterate and careless that they can't even read the sign on the front of a store they shop at often? But it's understandable in the case of JCPenney, which older people still call "Penneys", because that actually was the name many years ago (before 1970), and is slowly changing their name again to JCP. Also, Montgomery Ward, the long-gone department store chain, went back and forth between calling itself "Wards" and Montgomery Ward.

Look, I don't spend my day plotting moves for stores that they are not going to do.

There has been a JoAnns in Westmont & I think a SoFro before it for decades, because my friend's mother used to drive there for years & she has been dead since 1993. She could not drive for several years prior to her death. Have it however you want it, but there are plenty of people working retail these days who had very respectable jobs before the economy collapsed, if they are lucky enough to have a job. You should be ashamed of yourself..

I really don't care about the spelling. You figured it out, didn't you?

People say JoAnn's as a shortened form of the name. If you have nothing worse to worry about, congratulations. However, if you look at their website, there is no hyphen. Home : Shop | Joann.com The cross on the A is done as it would be when using calligraphy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia