Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 PM

421 posts, read 834,220 times

Advertisements

I have a few ideas for if the JCPenney in Cherry Hill closes. Perhaps it could become a Macy's, to replace the dumpy Macy's at the other end of the mall? Then perhaps the current Macy's building (after extensive renovations) could become a Sears, to replace the beat up one at Moorestown Mall? Or perhaps instead of any of this, the JCPenney could be torn down for a Pathmark, to replace the older, smaller Pathmark across the street? The newer, more modern Pathmark stores (I live near two in PA) aren't really dumpy at all but aren't exactly up to Wegmans standards. It would be interesting and ironic if Pathmark took that opportunity, because when Cherry Hill Mall first opened in 1964, a Food Fair supermarket was where JCPenney now stands. When Food Fair changed its name to Pantry Pride in the early 70's, they built a whole new store that later ended up as Pathmark in the late 70's or early 80's. And Moorestown Mall had a Pathmark in its early years which closed way back around 1977 when Pathmark tried to make all its stores "big" for the time, so that it would survive the supermarket "wars" of the 70's. Acme also spent a lot of money to upgrade stores around that time that weren't all that old either. But A&P, Food Fair/Pantry Pride, and Penn Fruit failed to, so they all disappeared.

Also, for some reason the Target Greatland stores always reminded me of Montgomery Ward, later known as Wards. That was a longtime competitor of Sears if you don't remember it. It was shocking when they shut down completely in 2000. I feel sorry for anyone who had perhaps ordered a big appliance from Wards towards the end but had to get their money back. Around the same time as Wards shut down, so did Service Merchandise (also a great Chicago catalog retailer) and Lechters Housewares, which sold cool stuff like talking fridge magnets in the late 80's and 90's. Those stores were mostly in malls, but they had a bigger store in a shopping center in West Chester. I wonder how it ended up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
When? Can you provide a link? It was a large store from it's development, initially a Greatland branded store, with two entrances. It looks re-modeled and made more typical across the Philly area stores with the food section, but not bigger. And if it did expand, wouldn't they have added a full grocery store, like a SuperTarget (very common in Florida)? Otherwise what would be the ROI of doing an expansion there?

Be glad though. Atleast PREIT didn't give up on CH Mall when Federated/Macy's didn't want to put up Bloomingdales. PREIT stayed focused and got Nordstrom which kept the mall strong and likely CH west in general, than luring in discount oriented chains like Target (like Springfield Mall and Christiana Mall that got Target stores), or Burlington.

I wonder if JCPenney implodes, if Burlington would take the JCPenney space in CH Mall like what happened in the Gallery, or Target moves into the spot with a 2-level format but maybe even larger with a full food grocery store.
The Super Target & Target Greatland store formats were eliminated & replaced by different names. I have no clue if there's links, but I saw the addition being added to the left side of the store (when you stand in front, facing it.) It wasn't a huge expansion. I kind of wondered why they were bothering. I think it was 2007 or 2008.

Where I live now, a new Target was built 2 years ago. It's supposed to be the replacement for the Super Target format & the grocery selection is the same as the Cherry Hill store.

If Penney implodes, I would think that PREIT would look south & try to get Belk or Dillards to replace it.

Last edited by southbound_295; 02-27-2013 at 09:24 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I have a few ideas for if the JCPenney in Cherry Hill closes. Perhaps it could become a Macy's, to replace the dumpy Macy's at the other end of the mall? Then perhaps the current Macy's building (after extensive renovations) could become a Sears, to replace the beat up one at Moorestown Mall? Or perhaps instead of any of this, the JCPenney could be torn down for a Pathmark, to replace the older, smaller Pathmark across the street? The newer, more modern Pathmark stores (I live near two in PA) aren't really dumpy at all but aren't exactly up to Wegmans standards. It would be interesting and ironic if Pathmark took that opportunity, because when Cherry Hill Mall first opened in 1964, a Food Fair supermarket was where JCPenney now stands. When Food Fair changed its name to Pantry Pride in the early 70's, they built a whole new store that later ended up as Pathmark in the late 70's or early 80's. And Moorestown Mall had a Pathmark in its early years which closed way back around 1977 when Pathmark tried to make all its stores "big" for the time, so that it would survive the supermarket "wars" of the 70's. Acme also spent a lot of money to upgrade stores around that time that weren't all that old either. But A&P, Food Fair/Pantry Pride, and Penn Fruit failed to, so they all disappeared.

Also, for some reason the Target Greatland stores always reminded me of Montgomery Ward, later known as Wards. That was a longtime competitor of Sears if you don't remember it. It was shocking when they shut down completely in 2000. I feel sorry for anyone who had perhaps ordered a big appliance from Wards towards the end but had to get their money back. Around the same time as Wards shut down, so did Service Merchandise (also a great Chicago catalog retailer) and Lechters Housewares, which sold cool stuff like talking fridge magnets in the late 80's and 90's. Those stores were mostly in malls, but they had a bigger store in a shopping center in West Chester. I wonder how it ended up there.
The Supermarket that was at the Cherry Hill Mall was not where J C Penney is. That whole wing was built later. Locals still call it the new wing.

A&P still lives on in the NY metro. They own Pathmark now. They are bankrupt, which is why they've been closing stores. They are not going to build a super Pathmark.

PREIT tried to make the Cherry Hill Mall upscale. They will not put a supermarket in there. That's considered downscale now.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 PM

421 posts, read 834,220 times
Why did TJ Maxx close next to Pathmark? I never have heard of a TJ Maxx closing before. Big Lots is in their space now. Years and years ago, a JM Fields store (similar to Walmart or Kmart, owned by Food Fair/Pantry Pride) was on that site, then a Rickel hardware/home center store (owned by Pathmark) was there, then Drug Emporium took up at least part of the space. I'm not sure exactly when TJ Maxx opened there, but it could have been in the 80's, so the store would have had a decently long run, closing around 2010. But I'm not sure exactly what the TJ Maxx space was previously (other than JM Fields) so maybe TJ Maxx never opened until after Rickel closed in 1997 or perhaps Drug Emporium closed in 2003. Actually, perhaps this Drug Emporium opened in the 80's and closed around 1992, as did the one in Jenkintown PA, where Outback now is, in the very old 1920s Strawbridge's building. But there was an 80's Drug Emporium on Route 70, where an A&P was and an Asian market now is, and this Drug Emporium definitely closed in 2003 with the chain.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Why did TJ Maxx close next to Pathmark? I never have heard of a TJ Maxx closing before. Big Lots is in their space now. Years and years ago, a JM Fields store (similar to Walmart or Kmart, owned by Food Fair/Pantry Pride) was on that site, then a Rickel hardware/home center store (owned by Pathmark) was there, then Drug Emporium took up at least part of the space. I'm not sure exactly when TJ Maxx opened there, but it could have been in the 80's, so the store would have had a decently long run, closing around 2010. But I'm not sure exactly what the TJ Maxx space was previously (other than JM Fields) so maybe TJ Maxx never opened until after Rickel closed in 1997 or perhaps Drug Emporium closed in 2003. Actually, perhaps this Drug Emporium opened in the 80's and closed around 1992, as did the one in Jenkintown PA, where Outback now is, in the very old 1920s Strawbridge's building. But there was an 80's Drug Emporium on Route 70, where an A&P was and an Asian market now is, and this Drug Emporium definitely closed in 2003 with the chain.
JM Fields was across the street. Basco went in, briefly. After no one took over the space for a long time it was segmented. Tower Records was there. It's been musical chairs for years.

The A&P/Drug Emporium/Asian Supermarket site is in Barclay Shopping Center.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times
Quote:
Why did TJ Maxx close next to Pathmark? I never have heard of a TJ Maxx closing before.
I think it was because the plaza was dumpy, and even TJX had higher standards than that.

It put notice on the doors - visit us in Centerton Square, Mt.Laurel. However, Centerton Square is 7 miles east, a good 15 minutes away with no traffic. The Marshall's in Moorestown is closer, but for whatever reason, it didn't redirect customers to that store in their chain. TJX also had AJ Wright by the Wal-Mart at one time, so it was a double whammy in a way to leave CH, but CH gained so many other stores.

I'd expect TJX likely via TJ Maxx, returning to CH west area if there was a decent location. They could just go to the Plaza at Cherry Hill where Diamond Furniture used to be which atleast faces Route 38. That plaza needs a facelift, and some tenants relocating around. Like LA Fitness doesn't need the most visible location, when it's a membership driven place. It also would have been nice if the exterior looked like the ones in PA, rather than just replacing the Superfresh banner with LA Fitness, a ghetto way of being in to the plaza, but very typical with gyms in NJ plazas.

It was a probably a bad idea putting Bottom Dollar Food there, as it hasn't helped the plaza, and takes away the choice of getting Trader Joes there instead. A TJMaxx/Trader Joes combo, along with a facelift, optimizing with a few stores relocating, would make that plaza a lot stronger.

Last edited by avg12; 03-01-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
Anyone hear any updates on what's going into what was the Superfresh in the Westmont Plaza? I've emailed Trader Joe's and recommended they look at the site... but that is likely a long shot.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
Anyone hear any updates on what's going into what was the Superfresh in the Westmont Plaza? I've emailed Trader Joe's and recommended they look at the site... but that is likely a long shot.
I was told that Acme is going in there.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
Since Acme was just sold things have been put on hold.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:10 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times
If Acme was going to do anything, you'd think it'd put itself in Marlton at the vacant Genuardi's site. Anyways, I hope Acme doesn't go there. I'd rather see a Toys R Us/Babies R Us combination there, which would insulate the ShopRite of Marlton a bit more.

Moving from one site in Westmont to another has little practical value, unless it can keep both leases and somehow monopolize the situation from blocking another competitor in the area. Didn't Acme do this in Cinnaminson once? I heard it still kept the lease at the Cinnaminson Mall while it could. Ironically, now it has been pushed out of Route 130 Cinnaminson-Delran area by Eickhoff ShopRite. There are other areas where Acme was pushed out, but some where it's managed.

Last edited by avg12; 03-14-2013 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia