Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Since Acme was just sold things have been put on hold.
I already posted about this. My friend was told that the SuperFresh, JoAnn & another storefront were going to be turned into an Acme & the older, smaller store nearby would be closed down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,334 times
Well, I suppose if it is an Acme, that's ok. I just don't want to see an Aldi or Bottom Dollar food going in.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
Well, I suppose if it is an Acme, that's ok. I just don't want to see an Aldi or Bottom Dollar food going in.
LOL, you do understand that Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi, don't you? I refer to Trader Joe's as upscale Aldi. I have no problem whatsoever with Aldi or Trader Joe's. Bottom Dollar is another thing altogether. . .

Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,334 times
It doesn't matter if they're owned by the same company. Trader Joe's is a nicer store and it's reflected in the product line, etc. I would think that the retail that is likely to surround a Trader Joe's is different from what is likely to surround an Aldi.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
It doesn't matter if they're owned by the same company. Trader Joe's is a nicer store and it's reflected in the product line, etc. I would think that the retail that is likely to surround a Trader Joe's is different from what is likely to surround an Aldi.
True, Trader Joe's isn't a box store. However, Aldi brings in some of the Trader Joe's products in their weekly rotation of special buys. Neither is meant to be your sole source of groceries. Most of the Aldis that I've seen are stand-alones. They are generally in middle class areas. I think that you're lumping Aldi in with Save-A-Lot.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 AM

161 posts, read 344,627 times
It looks like the Ravitzes were the sole bidders for the new Cherry Hill liquor license. If all goes as planned, they will be adding a liquor section to Shoprite of Garden State Pavilions, in the space formally occupied by Dunkin Donuts/offices.

ShopRite Could Sport Liquor Section After Ravitzes Win License Auction - Cherry Hill, NJ Patch
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/lo...n_license.html

With this move it looks like they plan to keep this store for the long term, even after the proposed Camden store opens up. It sort of makes sense for them to pick the specific store for the liquor license, to better compete with Wegmans next door as a "one-stop-shop" place. It would be nice if they also decide to give the interior of the store a bit of an upgrade. (aesthetics wise) After all it has been over 10 years since they opened that location.

Last edited by CH101; 03-27-2013 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 02:06 PM

421 posts, read 834,759 times
Knowing what happened to Genuardi's even after Safeway invested so much into it (but neglected certain Genuardi's stores very much), I wonder if the rest of Safeway will disappear eventually. I already can predict who would bid on each piece of the company:

1. The San Francisco Safeway stores (near their Pleasanton CA headquarters) would be bought by Stop & Shop.

2. The rural Western Safeway stores would be bought by Kroger.

3. The Vons division in Los Angeles would be bought by ShopRite.

4. The Carrs division in Alaska would be bought by H-E-B, a very innovative Texas grocer.

5. The Randalls division in Houston, TX would be bought by Rouses, a New Orleans grocer.

6. The Tom Thumb division in Dallas, TX would be bought by Publix, the admired Florida grocer.

7. The Dominick's division in Chicago would be bought by Jewel-Osco, a chain related to Acme.

8. The Baltimore/DC Safeway stores would be bought by Super G, which despite its failure in Greater Philly (except for Wilmington DE), is still very successful in the Baltimore/DC area.

9. The upscale Pavilions stores in Los Angeles would be bought by Wegmans.

10. The Pak N Save deep-discount division in San Francisco would close and a combination of Big Lots, Jo-Ann Fabrics, Stein Mart, and Ross Dress for Less would eat up its empty buildings.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post

8. The Baltimore/DC Safeway stores would be bought by Super G, which despite its failure in Greater Philly (except for Wilmington DE), is still very successful in the Baltimore/DC area.
I'm not as familiar with all the others you listed (I'd be surprised if Wegmans went to the west coast in your #9), but Ahold buying all the Safeway stores in the DC region won't happen and would be blocked by because of one company controlling too much share, esp. closer to DC where things matter more.

However, if one publicly traded company organically grows to such marketshare in a region, and weaker stores disadvantaged and unable to compete close, nothing would would be done.

Also it's DC. Would a CSN Philly loophole have persisted the decade when satellite companies were blocked from carrying it, if the market was DC? Never.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Knowing what happened to Genuardi's even after Safeway invested so much into it (but neglected certain Genuardi's stores very much), I wonder if the rest of Safeway will disappear eventually. I already can predict who would bid on each piece of the company:

1. The San Francisco Safeway stores (near their Pleasanton CA headquarters) would be bought by Stop & Shop.

2. The rural Western Safeway stores would be bought by Kroger.

3. The Vons division in Los Angeles would be bought by ShopRite.

4. The Carrs division in Alaska would be bought by H-E-B, a very innovative Texas grocer.

5. The Randalls division in Houston, TX would be bought by Rouses, a New Orleans grocer.

6. The Tom Thumb division in Dallas, TX would be bought by Publix, the admired Florida grocer.

7. The Dominick's division in Chicago would be bought by Jewel-Osco, a chain related to Acme.

9. The upscale Pavilions stores in Los Angeles would be bought by Wegmans.

10. The Pak N Save deep-discount division in San Francisco would close and a combination of Big Lots, Jo-Ann Fabrics, Stein Mart, and Ross Dress for Less would eat up its empty buildings.
Why would east coast companies buy west coast companies with nothing in between? Do you understand the shipping costs? SuperG, as an Ahold chain, was dissolved. Again, ShopRite stores are not company-owned. This has nothing to do about South Jersey. There must be some other board that this could have been posted on.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Why would east coast companies buy west coast companies with nothing in between? Do you understand the shipping costs? SuperG, as an Ahold chain, was dissolved. Again, ShopRite stores are not company-owned. This has nothing to do about South Jersey. There must be some other board that this could have been posted on.
East to west and vice versa would be very expensive. However, Wawa has opened stores in Orlando and Tampa. However, the cost of entry isn't as bad. Not as expensive to operate down there, and it's not as long as a flight (2 hours). Because of carriers like Spirit, and the abundance of service, fares don't get as high esp. walk up fares Orlando, Tampa, Ft.Lauderdale.

However, Wegmans is private and I'm not privy to their finances. They could have so much stashed money to go into somewhere outside their NE block. But their name would be mostly unfamiliar in the west coast and real estate might be expensive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia