Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by withasigh View Post
I'm sure any supermarket would want a liquor license due to the drastically increased revenue, but the politics of this makes me think it's about bringing in Whole Foods. There isn't as much of a reason to placate existing supermarkets as there is to bring in a new one to bolster a shopping center that's presently missing its anchor store. For example, prior to Wegman's buying a liquor license to open the separate wine and spirits store Cherry Hill could have changed the rules to allow them to sell in the main store. They did not. I can't imagine that Wegman's didn't explore that possibility. Why the rush to change the rules now?

Maybe this is all just wishful thinking on my part. I can see the Ellisburg Circle Shopping Center from my office window and I'd love to be able to stop off at Whole Foods for lunch or on the way home.
You're probably right that it's to attract Whole Foods. But Cherry Hill Supermarkets ShopRite could re-open the Brace Rd. store and have leverage, but it would probably want liquor at it's Evesham Rd store.

There are 3 other grocers I forgot: H-Mart, Asian Food Markets and Subzi Mandi, but I doubt any want a liquor license.

One thing that might help in improving Ellisburg to a higher tier center is bouncing Dollar Tree and Cash For Gold off their leases and have them relocate elsewhere in town. The McDonalds is probably too popular. But, the Dollar Tree could go in the Floors USA space as a Marlton and Cherry Hill servicing store. It might take it as there is no Dollar Tree around in Marlton, but three in Cherry Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM

161 posts, read 344,487 times
This Cherry Hill Patch article goes into a few more details about the ordinance. Cherry Hill Council Holds Off Lifting Liquor License Restrictions - Cherry Hill, NJ Patch

They say that instead of outright lifting the ban, they are thinking of amending the current ordinance with a "number of possible conditions on sales within other stores, in order to strike a balance between convenience and health and safety." Honestly, I don't believe the balance between convenience, health and safety argument. I have a feeling any conditions are just a move to attract a certain bidder and/or exclude certain bidders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
One thing that might help in improving Ellisburg to a higher tier center is bouncing Dollar Tree and Cash For Gold off their leases and have them relocate elsewhere in town. The McDonalds is probably too popular. But, the Dollar Tree could go in the Floors USA space as a Marlton and Cherry Hill servicing store. It might take it as there is no Dollar Tree around in Marlton, but three in Cherry Hill.
I don't think the McDonald's is part of their property. The McDonald's used to actually be where their parking lot is now, but they built a new one years ago right next to it and knocked down the old one. So they have a pretty long history there anyway. On the Dollar Tree front, for what it is worth I think there has always been a Dollar store in that center since the 90s. I believe there was one for years somewhere in the middle of the center where Five Below is currently. That is not to say that it may not be time for change though. It will be interesting to see how a proposed Whole Foods would affect the center.

It is also interesting to note that the current space Genuardi's left was expanded when they originally moved in, and now stands at roughly 47k sqft. I believe most Whole Foods are in the 30k range. Wonder if they would split up some space for a smaller store, or if they would go with a bigger Whole Foods. Anyone know how big the Marlton store is?

Last edited by CH101; 01-29-2013 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 AM

122 posts, read 202,713 times
Regarding the Dollar Tree, my guess is that if a Whole Foods went in the property owner would start raising the rents and let that take care of the lower quality retailers in the center. While Whole Foods may not have entered into any agreements with the property owner regarding getting rid of other tenants for fear of litigation, Whole Foods certainly understands the impact that they will have on that shopping center in terms of rising rents, and retailer turnover.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
Honestly, I don't believe the balance between convenience, health and safety argument. I have a feeling any conditions are just a move to attract a certain bidder and/or exclude certain bidders
Agreed. I grew up in the south and all the grocery stores sold beer and wine. They checked ids just like separate liquor stores do up here. Basically all this segregation of retail and liquor sales just increases prices for consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
It is also interesting to note that the current space Genuardi's left was expanded when they originally moved in, and now stands at roughly 47k sqft. I believe most Whole Foods are in the 30k range. Wonder if they would split up some space for a smaller store, or if they would go with a bigger Whole Foods. Anyone know how big the Marlton store is?
I don't think size is an issue at all. Whole Foods has a number of stores at 80k sqft, which it refers to as its flagship stores. Although the article linked below says that Whole Foods has experienced better profits in its 38k sqft stores.

Whole Foods: Smaller is more profitable - The Tell - MarketWatch

Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM

Yeah I admit I didn't know much about their store sizes. For some reason I thought most of their stores were in the 30k range. But I found this Forbes article that says that their traditional store sizes were 50k-70k sq ft, and that the smaller stores started in recent years as a test to target secondary markets.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 AM

The one in Plymouth Meeting Mall is apparently 45,000 sq. ft. It sells wine.

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/plymouthmeeting
http://media.wholefoodsmarket.com/ne...-pennsylvania/

I wonder if Whole Foods acquired a liquor license (maybe Genuardi's) for it's Marlton store as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
The one in Plymouth Meeting Mall is apparently 45,000 sq. ft. It sells wine.
I wonder if Whole Foods acquired a liquor license (maybe Genuardi's) for it's Marlton store as well.
Marlton Whole Foods moving to Genuardi's Willow Ridge Center - [domain blocked due to spam]

That post would seem to suggest that you are right, although it has no sources or detail for that matter.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM

I would take [domain blocked due to spam] with a large grain of salt. I've found that there are some people that like to post random rumors there for for some reason, pretending to be chain owners or newspaper journalists.

Adding a bit more fire to the fuel per the Cherry Hill Whole Foods, a comment on this picture (Food Fair/ Shop-Rite/ Genuardi's - Cherry Hill, NJ | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) from about five months ago claims that they asked the guys doing work at the store what it was going to be, and they claimed it would be a Whole Foods as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Whole Foods puts a lot of weight on the level of college education in a particular area when they consider where to put a store - even over household income.

If I were going to pick a spot in South Jersey where a new Whole Foods would kill it - and not siphon off much biz from Marlton it would be right here -
haddonfield nj - Google Maps

I know a few people in Collingswood & Oaklyn who shop at the Whole Foods on Callowhill or South St. because it's closer than Marlton.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Whole Foods puts a lot of weight on the level of college education in a particular area when they consider where to put a store - even over household income.

If I were going to pick a spot in South Jersey where a new Whole Foods would kill it - and not siphon off much biz from Marlton it would be right here -
haddonfield nj - Google Maps

I know a few people in Collingswood & Oaklyn who shop at the Whole Foods on Callowhill or South St. because it's closer than Marlton.
WF could also take the Westmont Superfresh/Jo-Ann site too. However, CH is somewhat destinational.

Those driving in from Philly/NE Philly might reach the CH Mall, then head across the street at Target and Kohls plaza, then back on Haddonfield Rd through the Garden State shopping centers, down 70 for a little, hit Ellisburg Circle, dine out somewhere, then decide to head back after filling gas in NJ. But an easy way to cover a lot of stores without heading down to Marlton on 73 or traveliing too out in the suburbs (Mt. Laurel).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia