Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,252,984 times

Advertisements

Agree, I was more talking about new chains coming that aren't already here (and as you mentioned, was probably more talking about traditional supermarkets). Although it's only 2 stores, at least Wegmans already has some presence in SJ. (Edit: as do WF and TJ's with 1 each, but as was kinda mentioned earlier, although Wegmans is not really a traditional supermarket either, it is more like one than WF or TJ's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
For the traditional chains, I think that's a logical conclusion. Ahold would have picked up the Jersey Genuardi's if they were interested in expanding to SJ.

Wegmans, on the other hand, generally does not take over older supermarket locations. They prefer to build new. Whole Foods will sometimes take over existing locations, but they also seem to prefer building new. Trader Joe's is generally not a candidate to take over existing supermarket locations, since TJ's requires much smaller locations.
Ahold has failed twice in South Jersey. They're not coming back. They've made that clear. Compare Foods is not a traditional chain. They are ethnic, but can do traditional.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,477,989 times
There have been consistent rumors that Wegman's and/or Trader Joe's would form one of the anchors in the on/off/on again retail development along 322 in Woolwich Township. Basically, 322 between King's Highway and the Turnpike. This would make a good deal of sense for a store like Wegman's. The current shopping options are limited to Acme in Logan and the ShopRite in Mullica Hill and Gibbstown. Especially since the ShopRite in Gibbstown isn't exactly the nicest store. Between Logan, Woolwich, Harrison/Mullica Hill, East Greenwich and Swedesboro there are around 40,000 middle to upper-middle class families that have a pretty limited selection for supermarkets that easily fit the Wegman's demographic. The new development is also a "town center" model so it fits with what they are looking for. This development is also rumored to contain a Target as well, so it will be quite the destination for a rapidly growing area.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 AM

756 posts, read 2,110,902 times
Default Superfresh now closing

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...yssey=nav|head

Superfresh is now closing it's two stores in South Jersey (by Philly). Genuardi's is also set to close it's remaining stores.

For those losing their jobs, and shoppers looking for stores in their communities:

Hopefully, ShopRite Supermarkets of Cherry Hill could re-open either Brace Rd and also take upon the Westmont Superfresh location. Both are in good locations.

I was thinking that Ellisburg is still a pretty good location as well, and it'd be very interesting if Whole Foods went there, as a way to service Haddonfield, Collingswood and people who shop from Philly, and other areas into Cherry Hill. Interesting because it'd be Whole Foods vs. Wegmans rivalry so close, and the Marlton Whole Foods isn't that far, but there maybe enough traffic that the two could co-exist.

Murphy's Marketplace of Medford is another chain, and if they are doing well, they should probably consider the Evesham Genuardi's site and other suitable supermarket sites.

The Tri Towne Plaza in Evesham will just have TD Bank and Burger King left. I'd think demolition of the entire plaza besides those two parcels will happen. The plaza is in a semi dilapidated state. Possible maybe that Wal-Mart would consider a relocation across the street for a SuperCenter, if the lot can support it. Or perhaps more doable and less provocative would be a super Wawa with gas replacing the Kmart/Sears site, and a LA Fitness or something else replacing the Superfresh end.

Last edited by avg12; 11-19-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Agree, I was more talking about new chains coming that aren't already here (and as you mentioned, was probably more talking about traditional supermarkets). Although it's only 2 stores, at least Wegmans already has some presence in SJ. (Edit: as do WF and TJ's with 1 each, but as was kinda mentioned earlier, although Wegmans is not really a traditional supermarket either, it is more like one than WF or TJ's).
I could see Ollies grabbing a couple of stores here & there. I still think that Compare Foods could move in. They moved into Charlotte by grabbing empty Winn Dixie stores.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...yssey=nav|head

Superfresh is now closing it's two stores in South Jersey (by Philly). Genuardi's is also set to close it's remaining stores.

For those losing their jobs, and shoppers looking for stores in their communities:

Hopefully, ShopRite Supermarkets of Cherry Hill could re-open either Brace Rd and also take upon the Westmont Superfresh location. Both are in good locations.

I was thinking that Ellisburg is still a pretty good location as well, and it'd be very interesting if Whole Foods went there, as a way to service Haddonfield, Collingswood and people who shop from Philly, and other areas into Cherry Hill. Interesting because it'd be Whole Foods vs. Wegmans rivalry so close, and the Marlton Whole Foods isn't that far, but there maybe enough traffic that the two could co-exist.

Murphy's Marketplace of Medford is another chain, and if they are doing well, they should probably consider the Evesham Genuardi's site and other suitable supermarket sites.

The Tri Towne Plaza in Evesham will just have TD Bank and Burger King left. I'd think demolition of the entire plaza besides those two parcels will happen. The plaza is in a semi dilapidated state. Possible maybe that Wal-Mart would consider a relocation across the street for a SuperCenter, if the lot can support it. Or perhaps more doable and less provocative would be a super Wawa with gas replacing the Kmart/Sears site, and a LA Fitness or something else replacing the Superfresh end.
The stores will sit for a while. That will make them cheaper. Years ago, when Acme left Ellisburg Circle to move out 70, next to Clover, the old store sat empty for a long time before I Goldberg moved in.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM

756 posts, read 2,110,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The stores will sit for a while. That will make them cheaper. Years ago, when Acme left Ellisburg Circle to move out 70, next to Clover, the old store sat empty for a long time before I Goldberg moved in.
Interesting. I think the Evesham Genuardi's site is the best location of all the current or soon store closings. The landlord could try to get Toys R Us/Babies R Us, and get more rent per sq.ft., than Murphy's Markets. But the latter could move in with less improvements onsite, if the rent was right. I'm not sure if the sq.footage would be too much for Murphy's, but they could probably adapt.

In some cases, the store replaces fast. The Mt.Laurel Borders is now subdivided already to a Charming Charlie, one extra space, and AAA's new site (nice new building).

As far as Ellisburg, the landlord must be regretting giving the visible end-corner to Dollar Tree. It's going to project a downscale image for the plaza and dampen rent rates in trying to get the central anchor site refilled now. Maybe good for the tenant though who might not mind.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM

9,310 posts, read 12,902,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Wegmans is "traditional-plus," in that offers the full range of everyday, Acme-style items, plus Whole Foods and Trader Joes-esque gourmet and specialty foods, along with a slew of prepared foods for both eat-in and takeout. It's very Genuardi's-esque in that regard.

I had mentioned the possibility of an Atlantic City Mainland location, because weekenders and year-round Island residents alike are often loathe to be gouged at places like Casel's, and as a result, often do their grocery shopping in the Northfield-Linwood-Somers Point corridor. The Somers Point Acme/Shoprite are rather ho-hum, both in appearance and selection, and I feel it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility for a shining new Wegmans to be able to sustain year-round business. Voorhees or Washington Township would probably be safer initial choices though.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Interesting. I think the Evesham Genuardi's site is the best location of all the current or soon store closings. The landlord could try to get Toys R Us/Babies R Us, and get more rent per sq.ft., than Murphy's Markets. But the latter could move in with less improvements onsite, if the rent was right. I'm not sure if the sq.footage would be too much for Murphy's, but they could probably adapt.

In some cases, the store replaces fast. The Mt.Laurel Borders is now subdivided already to a Charming Charlie, one extra space, and AAA's new site (nice new building).

As far as Ellisburg, the landlord must be regretting giving the visible end-corner to Dollar Tree. It's going to project a downscale image for the plaza and dampen rent rates in trying to get the central anchor site refilled now. Maybe good for the tenant though who might not mind.
Dollar Tree's current location was once a movie theater, then a Chuckie Cheese-type of place prior to Atlantic Books. The former Acme/I Goldberg site is across Kings Highway.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM

122 posts, read 200,654 times
I have had two people tell me that Whole Foods is going to move into the old Genuardi's in the Ellisberg Circle Shopping Center. One works at Ponzio's Diner and says the owners told him about it. The other person works at a shop in the Ellisberg Circle Shopping Center. I have done extensive internet research on this and can't find any proof that Whole Foods is going to put a store there. I would think that the Courier Post would have an article about it if it was true, but I don't know how much I can trust their journalistic abilities. One thing that may be increasing speculation about this is that there are some signs up in the window of the old Genuardi's which have pictures of food and some famous quotes about food on them. The signs completely cover the windows and doors there and prevent anyone from looking inside. For all anyone knows there could be construction going on inside, except I think you'd see contractors' trucks in the parking lot. My guess is that the signs are there just to cover up the ugly look of an vacant store.

Regardless of the potential, I think it would be a good location for Whole Foods because it would bring in more customers from the Haddonfield/Haddon Heights/Haddon Township/Collingswood area who would prefer to shop at Whole Foods over Wegman's sometimes, but find that the drive out to 73 is too far. I know I'd buy from their meat and cheese departments over Wegman's, where I currently shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia