Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I've known pa residents who were indeed pulled over on the way back to pa with a car full o booze from NJ. It *does* happen
It does, but is a rather rare occurrence considering the huge number of people who do it. I think in general, it's a bad idea to drive to one of the stores right over the bridge, stock up and drive right back. It's probably better to go to a store further away from one of the bridges and keep whatever you buy in the trunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,126,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post

And the fact that each municipality hoards liquor licenses seems a little absurd, as well.
The fewer there are the more they're worth . . . but mostly I think it's because people in those towns don't want a lot bars or liquor stores. Once the licenses are out there they're a lot more difficult to reel back in.

It's part & parcel of being in the 'burbs. Most people want the quiet life.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Its annoying sometimes having to go to a Liquor store to buy beer. In most states you can get beer and wine in any grocery or convenience story. Back when I lived in NJ it was annoying to buy beer after about 10PM when many of the bigger stores closed at 10PM... having to pay bar prices for a six pack because you dont know an area sucked. How nice it would have been to just go to the 7-11 or WaWa to get some beer, instead of driving into Lakewood or the Silverton Hub ( or at least find someone to buy it for you )

Old 01-10-2013, 06:10 PM

421 posts, read 834,640 times
I hope the ex-Eckerd/Rite Aid in Marlton (next to Whole Foods) can become a "Wine Legend" liquor store, as the ex-Eckerd/Rite Aid next to the Acme in Audubon did. They could attract the former Genuardi's liquor customers. I'm not too familiar with the law... do liquor stores themselves have to apply for liquor licenses? Because if so, they probably could "inherit" the liquor license right now held by Genuardi's. Many towns do seem to limit the number of businesses allowed to sell alcohol. This particular Genuardi's was lucky to get a liquor license. Theirs was borrowed from the now-defunct Zagara's grocery chain that they (Genuardi's) and later Safeway used to own. It was really a shame that Zagara's went out of business, but I'm glad the Genuardi's could have such a convenient opportunity. Ironically, the only Zagara's in PA ended up as a gourmet "FoodSource" grocery store, with a PLCB Wine & Spirits Shoppe (State Store) inside, but FoodSource closed not long after and is now The Fresh Market.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:49 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I hope the ex-Eckerd/Rite Aid in Marlton (next to Whole Foods) can become a "Wine Legend" liquor store, as the ex-Eckerd/Rite Aid next to the Acme in Audubon did. They could attract the former Genuardi's liquor customers. I'm not too familiar with the law... do liquor stores themselves have to apply for liquor licenses? Because if so, they probably could "inherit" the liquor license right now held by Genuardi's. Many towns do seem to limit the number of businesses allowed to sell alcohol. This particular Genuardi's was lucky to get a liquor license. Theirs was borrowed from the now-defunct Zagara's grocery chain that they (Genuardi's) and later Safeway used to own. It was really a shame that Zagara's went out of business, but I'm glad the Genuardi's could have such a convenient opportunity. Ironically, the only Zagara's in PA ended up as a gourmet "FoodSource" grocery store, with a PLCB Wine & Spirits Shoppe (State Store) inside, but FoodSource closed not long after and is now The Fresh Market.
Issuance of liquor licenses in NJ is done on a town by town basis based on the size of the towns population. There are a certain number of licenses issued per thousand for a liquor store and certain number per thousand issued for bars/restaurants. Liquor licenses are sold through a bid process run by the local town with the proceeds going to the town "selling" the license. From there the "owner" of the license can convey it with their property to a new owner. If the license goes defunct and is no longer used control of it reverts back to the town who can then "sell" it again in a bid process. The laws governing to whom a license can be issued, what is sold, etc. are controlled by the state.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The only people going to "seedy" liquor stores are those who live in "seedy" areas. I'll take the NJ system over PA any time.
Your words remind me of an episode of South Park where all the KFCs in Colorado closed due to a new law regulating "unhealthy" food. All the KFCs in the state were replaced by medical marijuana establishments. In theory, only the KFCs in "low-income" areas of Colorado were supposed to close, but apparently all the KFCs in the state were considered to be in "low-income" areas!

Most of NJ seems "rough" compared to the richer PA suburbs of Philly. I dare you to count the dollar stores, "adult" establishments, check-cashing businesses, nail salons, and "beauty" supply stores in the Philly suburbs in NJ and compare that number to the numbers for PA. Also, I expect you to find way more old, shady shopping centers with former Acme or A&P/Super Fresh grocery stores in NJ than you will in PA. Same with old Bradlees, Caldor, Jamesway, Ames, Woolco, Grant City, JM Fields, Two Guys, Jefferson Ward, King's, Hills, Zayre, Nichols, Kmart centers, etc.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I'd take a "seedy" NJ liquor store over the PA Wine and Liquor (State) stores.

I agree with Manderly. If you live in a seedy area, you get a seedy liquor store.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:19 AM

I really do like the PA system better. But I actually am considering filing a lawsuit right now against the PLCB because of their discriminatory policies. It may be "coincidental" that the more minorities an area has, the worse the PLCB store in that area is. There really is no excuse though for how bad some of the urban PLCB stores are though compared to the suburban ones.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:39 AM

198 posts, read 484,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Your words remind me of an episode of South Park where all the KFCs in Colorado closed due to a new law regulating "unhealthy" food. All the KFCs in the state were replaced by medical marijuana establishments. In theory, only the KFCs in "low-income" areas of Colorado were supposed to close, but apparently all the KFCs in the state were considered to be in "low-income" areas!

Most of NJ seems "rough" compared to the richer PA suburbs of Philly. I dare you to count the dollar stores, "adult" establishments, check-cashing businesses, nail salons, and "beauty" supply stores in the Philly suburbs in NJ and compare that number to the numbers for PA. Also, I expect you to find way more old, shady shopping centers with former Acme or A&P/Super Fresh grocery stores in NJ than you will in PA. Same with old Bradlees, Caldor, Jamesway, Ames, Woolco, Grant City, JM Fields, Two Guys, Jefferson Ward, King's, Hills, Zayre, Nichols, Kmart centers, etc.
PA would seem "rough"as well if you compared it to the richer suburbs of NJ. You are comparing the Main Line in PA to poor neighborhoods in NJ. I could compare Haddonfield with Croydon and draw the same skewed conclusions about PA.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'd take a "seedy" NJ liquor store over the PA Wine and Liquor (State) stores.

I agree with Manderly. If you live in a seedy area, you get a seedy liquor store.
I agree wholeheartedly on this. There's more of a selection in the NJ stores than in the PA stores. PA is way behind in the wines/spirits business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia